Mixing drums help? (modern Metal)

Furyof

Reaction score
I have been making music for almost 2 years now. I've always relied on drum presets that I'd build off of to make my music. I disliked that and I'm now trying to make my own sound with superior. I'd like feedback on it and ways I can improve my sound.

Here is a link
[SC]https://soundcloud.com/furyof/mix-test[/SC]
Right now I feel I have the snare going in the right direction. I'd like some more meat too it, like a beefier snare. I probably need to play with a few things but yeah.
I like the kick too it has it's punch but when it's alone it kind of sounds dull.
First time I've ever messed with the drums myself though. I don't have studio monitors so I mix with bad speakers/low quality headphones, Yeah I know I just have to make due until I can afford good monitors.

Any feedback on it so far?

I'll probably look around these forums and try a few settings. See what I can come up with and make my own sound at the same time.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

atoragon

Reaction score
maybe there are still a little bit too much low mids on the kick.
the snare is not bad but it sounds like you have tweaked very much with the eq to bring out the "snap". I have noticed that starting instead with a sound that is already very close to what you need and working your way up with compressor and harmonic exciter and less with an eq, will leave your sound fuller and less "processed"

col

blah.
Reaction score
Kick sounds fine to me, but the snare has too much low mids 200Hz going on, and is too loud in the mix.

')