Mixing Newb Presents First "Mix"

Hzanco

Soon 2 b Groovatron
Reaction score
Surprise Encounter's sounds on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

I've been working on a short, simple song (the only one currently on my soundcloud, "Is it a Flame?"). I've done very little to edit the tracks so far, just some post-EQ. I just started reading about compression - maybe I could apply some compression to the guitars before I EQ them, THEN listen and apply EQ?

What other thoughts/suggestions might you all have about improving the mix on this song? I'm most interested in guitars and bass right now, but advice on drum sounds is also welcome.

Thanks in advance for any tips! :wavey:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Hzanco

Soon 2 b Groovatron
Reaction score
:bump:

It would be awesome to get some feedback to steer me in the right direction

Hzanco

Soon 2 b Groovatron
Reaction score
One more go - any feedback?

Having listened to the tone of many bands I like, I'm thinking that one of the biggest differences is that both of the guitar tones I'm using are generally pitched higher than say Periphery, the Human Abstract, Scar Symmetry, etc. Their guitar tones sound much bassier than mine, but I'm not sure which specific frequencies I should look at working with to achieve that kind of tone.

The two Axe FX amp models I'm working with here are the FAS Modern on the higher-pitched guitar and the Euro Uber on the somewhat lower-pitched one.

Also, I've only single-tracked the guitars. Any recommendations on how to use double-tracking for better tone?

Sander

Reaction score
It might be just me, but the guitar tones on each side sound to different and it comes off a bit distracting. While having slightly different tones for each guitar can be good and helps to create the illusion of a bit wider mix, in your case the guitar tones are a bit too far apart and if it's not just me the guitar panned to the right might actually be a bit quieter or not panned as far as the guitar on the left.

Other than that this is rather good for your first mix. I would personally lower the kick a bit and give the snare a bit more 'verb, but that stuff isn't essential and comes down to your personal taste.

Also, for more "professional" sound play tighter and don't be afraid to edit the playing a lot.

As for the guitar tone, i don't think that their tones sound too much bassier than yours, in fact i think the periphery tone is thinner than any of your tones. The fatness comes from the low-as-shit tunings and most importantly, good bass tone. If you already haven't done so, dublicate the bass and low-pass one instance and high-pass the other instance, both around 1k or so, i'm not even sure, do it where it sounds the best. Anyway, distort both of the bass instances, give the low passed one only a slight rumble, but you can distort the high passed one pretty heavily. After than blend the both bass instances. The distorted higher frequencies of the bass should help to fill up the guitars nicely.

///

In regards to your first post:

Distorted guitars generally do not need any compression, since they are already compressed to hell and back by the amplifier.

Hzanco

Soon 2 b Groovatron
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback; those are some nice, specific suggestions. I can definitely hear the wide difference between the two guitars, especially how the right one is quieter than the left. I can also understand the kick being too loud, I will try to bring it down a bit. I didn't even consider adding reverb to the snare, but I'll try it and see how it sounds.

It'll be fun to experiment with bass tones, it's something I hadn't given nearly as much thought as guitar tones. Both guitar and bass are actually tuned fairly low (drop AD, so EBGDADA for guitar), so playing with bass tones should help me beef up the low end of the mix.

Unfortunately I'll be pretty busy with work the next couple days, but when I'm able, I'll post a re-recorded and remixed version of the song or at least a section or two.

novacekn

Reaction score
I can't really give much advice other than from a listeners perspective cause I can't ever seem to get my own mixes sounding good, but the track IMO sounds good. I feel like I can barely hear the drums through the guitars tone though.

Nice track by the way, very thrashy sounding.

flexkill

Vodka & PentaTonic
Reaction score
you need to take some "woofyness" out of the track man. Way to much bad bottom end. somewhere around the 50-150 range on your track as a whole.

oneblackened

Tube Amp Dork
Reaction score
you need to take some "woofyness" out of the track man. Way to much bad bottom end. somewhere around the 50-150 range on your track as a whole.
Seconding this.
The guitars in particular are fighting with the bass in that area, and it's making it muddy and woofy.

The guitars themselves sound strange. Can't put my finger on WHAT exactly, but they almost sound like the have flanger on them, I guess.

They're also a bit fizzy, try cutting a bit somewhere in the 10-12k range. A bit more mids around 1500hz would help too.
It took me longer than I expected, but I did re-record and mix a section of the song I previously posted. To my ears it sounds much better, but I'd like to hear some other opinions. What sounds good about it? What could use some work?

Here's the link:

Is it a Flame? Mixing Practice by Surprise Encounter on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

That's a hell of an improvement, seriously. Addresses a lot of the issues I had.

Hzanco

Soon 2 b Groovatron
Reaction score
That's a hell of an improvement, seriously. Addresses a lot of the issues I had.

Thank you! I've been reading a book simply called "Mixing Audio" by Roey Izhaki, and it's taught me a lot. An article from Sound on Sound (Mixing Metal) has also proved useful. It's really satisfying to put a lot of work into my music and have something to show for it.

i think it sounds pretty good.

Thanks!

')