Mixing practice - Raw stems for you to mix and master!

• Thread starter Kurkkuviipale
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Kurkkuviipale

Another Sinking ....
Reaction score
Hey guys, it's time to get mixin'!

Here are the raw stems for a song off of my debut record. Though there is no real incentive - like a price or anything - I will give you my honest, in depth feedback on the mix, and hopefully both of us can come out of the experience as better mixing engineers.

--------------------------------------------------

Here are the stems:
CLICK HERE FOR STEMS

Here's the drum midi (forgot to include it in the .zip above):
CLICK HERE FOR DRUM MID

Tempo is 108BPM.

-------------------------------------------------

Here's mine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpyGs_xCwGw

-------------------------------------------------

If you dig the song, you can listen to more on Spotify, YouTube and pretty much every major platform. The album is called "Shift" and artist is "Joel Lindfors". I would also be thrilled if you considered "Liking" my Facebook page!

MY FACEBOOK PAGE

Leave yours as a comment below! :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Masoo2

Reaction score
Oh dude, you're from Oceill! I love Malaise.

Thanks for the stems man, but it seems both links are just for the drum MIDI file.

hd35

Reaction score
Hey buddy!

here's mine :hbang:
[SC]https://soundcloud.com/emillamppu/joel-lindfors-null-point-mix[/SC]

Hohomaru

Reaction score
Took a stab at it.

Love the tune!

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/hohomaru/joel-lindfors-null-point-ft-sithu-ayemixtest[/SC]

Kurkkuviipale

Another Sinking ....
Reaction score
Hey buddy!

here's mine :hbang:
[SC]https://soundcloud.com/emillamppu/joel-lindfors-null-point-mix[/SC]

If someone's thinking why I didn't crit this one, hd35 is a good buddy of mine and he's gotten his feedback already. :flame:

Took a stab at it.

Love the tune!

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/hohomaru/joel-lindfors-null-point-ft-sithu-ayemixtest[/SC]

Hey Hohomaru! Thanks!

First I'd like to mention that no criticism in a subject such as music is absolute. I believe there are two types of criticism, the one that tries to embody and convey what's common and what you did against the norm (in the context of say, modern metal music production) and the one that's subjective - what I would've done differently. I will include both types in a uniform mess that you have to read and get what you want from it. I will literally go with whatever comes in mind and possibly get you some fixes to at least consider trying:

• Lets start with the low stuff. First of all awesome bass tone. Well done. I might consider compressing the low-end of it more. A good way to compress stuff in a really transparent manner is to use a saturator. Unless you don't do the following already, here's a good and a common approach on low end:

1. Take the bass guitar DI track and duplicate it (or the cleanest sounding track that you've provided)

2. Low shelf it really low. Consider a low scoop of low mids if the low pass isn't steep enough.

3. Use a compressor or like I suggest, a saturator and drive the low rumble you've created.

I also hear some type of compression click when the bass guitar comes in. That's caused by too heavy compression and a bad attack value. Fiddle around with it, I can't tell you what went wrong there.

• Second, kick is too loud. I'd say from 2dB to 5dB. There's also a really annoying frequency in the track that has the kick layer sample on it. It's around 150Hz and you should have a deep cut around there.

• Rhythm guitars are too low! I'd estimate around 3dB to 5dB. I don't think I did anything to the rhythm guitars myself, apart from slight saturation (are you sensing a pattern here?).

• Toms are a tad too loud. I'd take them down by 3dB to 5dB.

• Cymbals are way too compressed. I don't personally think you need any compression on the overhead channel, not on Superior Drummer or other programmed drums. That should be your "cymbal attack" channel (with some of the high jazz). The ambience channel on the other hand, that should be your room and your sustain. Smash that (that's what she said?) one and use no compression on the OH channel at all.
    That being said, I believe (I'm not sure, this is the hardest part to hear from a full mix for me) that your ambience channel is too loud. Try taking it down, even surreal amounts like 10dB and see if the mix "opens up" (as in, less long sustaining drums on the low mid section).

That's about it. You have a really good mix going, especially in this time. I really like the pop on the snare, makes it sound unique in a really good way. If you have any questions, please ask away! :)

brutalwizard

Pretty Your Petunia
Reaction score

Kurkkuviipale

Another Sinking ....
Reaction score
Just wanted to say i've followed you forever. I remeber your old post about how to write dynamic drums in Superior and def see your awesome drum writing in this midi.
This was so well put togethor my mix really came alive in about 20 mins.

https://soundcloud.com/ibanezolas/joel-lindfors-null-feat-plini-mma

HERE IS A NOT TRASH SOUNDCLOUD 128kMP3 link lol
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B52F9v6kloZAWm9kMFU1Rm16Z2M

Thanks! I remember you dude!

I'll get back to your mix later, but I just wanted to address that the guest solo on this is by Sithu Aye, not Plini!

brutalwizard

Pretty Your Petunia
Reaction score
Thanks! I remember you dude!

I'll get back to your mix later, but I just wanted to address that the guest solo on this is by Sithu Aye, not Plini!

LOLOLOL To caught up in the upload that i slacked on paying attention to that detail somehow

Stijnson

Reaction score
Here is mine! Really appreciate you putting this up man! Awesome song, and it was really fun to mix, and I just hope I didn't butcher it to much!

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/stijn_bos/joel-lindfors-null-point-ft-sithu-aye-mix-practice[/SC]

Kurkkuviipale

Another Sinking ....
Reaction score
Just wanted to say i've followed you forever. I remeber your old post about how to write dynamic drums in Superior and def see your awesome drum writing in this midi.
This was so well put togethor my mix really came alive in about 20 mins.

https://soundcloud.com/ibanezolas/joel-lindfors-null-feat-plini-mma

HERE IS A NOT TRASH SOUNDCLOUD 128kMP3 link lol
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B52F9v6kloZAWm9kMFU1Rm16Z2M

Alright here we go!

• First of all, good low end. If anything, I'd bring some really low mids up a bit, but that's about it.

• Next up drums. Kick is great, you did leave a bit too much of that 150hz peak on the kick layer sample. It's a niche thing to "know", but it makes the master channel peak really easily - and it peaks in your mix as well. I'd bring the kick down by about 2dB - 3dB.

• Snare is nice. Not really what I was shooting for in the song, but it's balanced and good for what it is. You should try scooping at around 500hz from the snare reverb though. And make the reverb shorter, too. I usually have a 0.7 second and a 1 second reverb on my snare to make it sound more live and roomy. After that I have something like a 2-3 second reverb that goes pretty low in the mis. Don't ever be afraid of EQ'ing the reverbs either - no reason not to.

• The snare does have another problem though. You compressed it too much (or fiddled with the MIDI velocities) so that the ghost notes are too loud. Either bring down the compression or bring every ghost note in the song by about 50 MIDI velocity units.

• I'm not sure of your chain for guitars, but in any case you did too much. You have a high resonant frequency (from a distortion/saturation plugin? or just EQ) at about 2khz and the guitars are somehow really compressed (I can hear the tails of the notes).

• Good job on the cymbals. They're a tad low if anything, but not by much.

• This is a bit nitpicky, but I'd bring the intro lead guitar way up. (The one with the octaves)

That's about it. If you have any questions, feel free to ask! :)

Kurkkuviipale

Another Sinking ....
Reaction score
Hello, here's my take on this cool song :) It was quite fun mixing this!:yesway:

https://soundcloud.com/tomi-kangas/joel-lindfors-null-point-ft-sithu-aye-mixtest

• Sick work on balancing the guitar and bass. Personally I would bring the bass mid frequencies down a bit at around 500-600hz. Low end is balanced and guitars are broad as they should.

• I think you used too many/too much room ambience. Sounds like you have multiple attacks on some of the drums (toms especially). I'd bring the ambience channel down by a significant amount or cut the mids at least. Also the toms are a tad too loud.

• Snare could come up just a tad. Good .... on that otherwise though.

• Good work on the kick. No real issues with it whatsoever. Cymbals are really well balanced, too.

Kurkkuviipale

Another Sinking ....
Reaction score
Here is mine! Really appreciate you putting this up man! Awesome song, and it was really fun to mix, and I just hope I didn't butcher it to much!

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/stijn_bos/joel-lindfors-null-point-ft-sithu-aye-mix-practice[/SC]

You did just fine buddy! :)

Here's what you could consider doing differently:

• Bass guitar tone is great, but it's too loud. Bring the whole bass guitar down by at least 5dB.

• There seems to be a loud resonant peak on the kick at around 2khz. It's a common "mistake" to boost around there, but I'd almost always advice against it. A lot of "exciting" frequencies are around that area, but they are also really taxing for the listener and wear your ears out fast.

• Snare could come up a bunch. Like 3-5dB. The tone is not bad. Kick should go down a bit (after you've addressed the problem in the high end).

• Cymbals are too loud. That's also a common thing that people make when they're mixing and it seriously messes the whole mixing process up. Get stuff to a good level at first and then start thinking of EQ's and compressors.

I hope that's helpful! :)

I should mention at this point, that the amount of feedback I give is no indication of how good or bad your mix is in my opinion (if that even matters to you at all). I leave stuff out of I've mentioned it in the previous comments and I only address the problems that I would first tackle. After fixing what I've mentioned here (which I don't expect you to do, I only expect you to take these as a grain of salt), I'm sure I'd hear more stuff to mention.

Stijnson

Reaction score
You did just fine buddy! :)

Here's what you could consider doing differently:

• Bass guitar tone is great, but it's too loud. Bring the whole bass guitar down by at least 5dB.

• There seems to be a loud resonant peak on the kick at around 2khz. It's a common "mistake" to boost around there, but I'd almost always advice against it. A lot of "exciting" frequencies are around that area, but they are also really taxing for the listener and wear your ears out fast.

• Snare could come up a bunch. Like 3-5dB. The tone is not bad. Kick should go down a bit (after you've addressed the problem in the high end).

• Cymbals are too loud. That's also a common thing that people make when they're mixing and it seriously messes the whole mixing process up. Get stuff to a good level at first and then start thinking of EQ's and compressors.

I hope that's helpful! :)

I should mention at this point, that the amount of feedback I give is no indication of how good or bad your mix is in my opinion (if that even matters to you at all). I leave stuff out of I've mentioned it in the previous comments and I only address the problems that I would first tackle. After fixing what I've mentioned here (which I don't expect you to do, I only expect you to take these as a grain of salt), I'm sure I'd hear more stuff to mention.

Thanks for the feedback dude, much appreciated. And I'll definitely fix what you mentioned, as I can totally see where it's coming from. The cymbals are annoying me slightly because they are loud etc. I'll post an updated version in a while if that's alright, and see if it improved!

Kurkkuviipale

Another Sinking ....
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback dude, much appreciated. And I'll definitely fix what you mentioned, as I can totally see where it's coming from. The cymbals are annoying me slightly because they are loud etc. I'll post an updated version in a while if that's alright, and see if it improved!

By any means! I'll be sure to give feedback on that as well. :)

Stijnson

Reaction score
Updated version then!
Sounds cleaner for sure, the low end obviously cleaned up a lot and the snare seems more pokey (which is nice!), and no tiring cymbals in my right ear. Was considering to lower the bass even more but I felt it was almost disappearing at that point. Had a decent, and quite wide boost at about 5khz on the kick so I took that down a bit and it seemed to help.

You know, it's not easy, or common, to get mix feedback on here these days. So it's greatly appreciated! And especially using others' stems it really seems to help. I get way to blind when I'm mixing my own stuff I just don't know if it sounds good in the end anymore, because you're dealing with the project for to long or something. Besides that my playing is not nearly as good hehe. So this was refreshing, and especially with some constructive criticism!

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/stijn_bos/joel-lindfors-null-point-ft-sithu-aye-mix-fix[/SC]

Kurkkuviipale

Another Sinking ....
Reaction score
Updated version then!
Sounds cleaner for sure, the low end obviously cleaned up a lot and the snare seems more pokey (which is nice!), and no tiring cymbals in my right ear. Was considering to lower the bass even more but I felt it was almost disappearing at that point. Had a decent, and quite wide boost at about 5khz on the kick so I took that down a bit and it seemed to help.

You know, it's not easy, or common, to get mix feedback on here these days. So it's greatly appreciated! And especially using others' stems it really seems to help. I get way to blind when I'm mixing my own stuff I just don't know if it sounds good in the end anymore, because you're dealing with the project for to long or something. Besides that my playing is not nearly as good hehe. So this was refreshing, and especially with some constructive criticism!

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/stijn_bos/joel-lindfors-null-point-ft-sithu-aye-mix-fix[/SC]

Yeah this place used to be really active five years ago. Tryina bring some of that back! :)

The mix is way more balanced now. There are a few things to note still.

There is a resonant frequency on the overhead channel (you can hear it on the main crash cymbal). It's like a really annoying high "whistle". Find it and get rid of it.

There's also an annoying frequency in the bass guitar. It's in the low mids. I think it's around 400-500hz. Scoop it out.

A lot of mixing is just finding these things that "don't belong there". They might be high whistles, too long snare rings, resonances that make stuff like the bass guitar sound boxy. You should actively learn to look for those frequencies, there shouldn't be many per channel in a mix.

A good way for me to find stuff, in the sub 1khz frequencies, is to describe the annoying frequency with a vowel (such as "o" or "a") in my head and then find a boost that attenuates that vowel you have in mind. After you find it, turn the boost into a scoop and narrow the Q ratio down a little.

Hope these are somewhat helpful. I'm going off tangent here, but I'm trying to keep it informative. :)

')