Mixing speakers in a cab

• Thread starter BadBovineNickel
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BadBovineNickel

Reaction score
I have a celestion vintage 30 speaker in a mesa rectifier 2x12 cab that needs to be replaced. I've been on the prowl for a good used speaker and came across a good deal for a celestion G75. The question is, should I stick with the V30s or do some people "mix and match" occasionally? Since I won't really get to try the speaker out before I install it, any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
:hbang:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Sepultorture

Murder Machine
Reaction score
worth a shot, the 75 is a scooped speaker where the V30 is a more mid oriented speakers, they should compliment each other pretty well

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
The g12T-75 has quite a boomy low end, significantly more so than the V30, and I know from my 212 that the recto 212's can be quite boomy; tight, but still quite woofy. In a 412, a mix of 75's and 30's would be cool, but in a 212, and one that's quite small and deep like the Recto, I'd suggest another V30, Black Shadow (EV or celestion, they're both awesome, the EV's notably darker) or a C90 (as you get in a Road King). If you want something very different the Celestion Greenback might be nice, they have a very pronounced mid that cuts more then a V30. I'd stick to the familiar though.

Sepultorture

Murder Machine
Reaction score
the 2x12's are woofy, hmm, i gotta try me one out and see if this be true, i've never heard of a woofy sounding 2x12

BadBovineNickel

Reaction score
Hmm...thanks for the (differing) opinions! But seriously, I do appreciate the feedback. I remember reading somewhere that people mix and match in the recto cabs sometimes. And maybe that's only for a 4x12 - I guess it depends on maybe what you're going for, eh?

Well, maybe I'll stay on the hunt for a C90 or V30 then...thanks!

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
the 2x12's are woofy, hmm, i gotta try me one out and see if this be true, i've never heard of a woofy sounding 2x12

Seriously, plug a Recto or something similarly low end heavy into a Mesa closed back Recto 212 without castors, and it's tight and articulate, but there's always a very subby, boomy low end. It's why I sold mine in the end. I liked it when I first tried one because I was surprised by how much low end I was getting from a 212, but it's not the kinda low I liked in the end.

seth-ep

Reaction score
Seriously, plug a Recto or something similarly low end heavy into a Mesa closed back Recto 212 without castors, and it's tight and articulate, but there's always a very subby, boomy low end. It's why I sold mine in the end. I liked it when I first tried one because I was surprised by how much low end I was getting from a 212, but it's not the kinda low I liked in the end.

same opinion, same reason that i sold mine

')