MK IV: Rectifier 4x12 cab or 1960b w/ 2 v30's?

• Thread starter bigsethmeister
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bigsethmeister

Moooosician
Reaction score
Have a chance to pick up either a Rectifier 4x12 or a Marshall 1960b (straight) 4x12 at a very good deal.

I had planned to replace 2 of the G12T75's in the marshall cab with v30's (bogner style).

Which cab is more likely to get me a very deep tight hard rock sound with a Mesa Mark IV amp and a 7 string Ibanez w/ a ToneZone?

Hoping to get a tight, woody sound with no mud or woofiness.

Thanks guys!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Leon

{##[====:::.
Contributor
Reaction score
nice! a MK IV with a Marshall 1960 4x12 is kinda my dream rig :wub:

why not take your amp and guitar down to the store and try both out? obviously it may be a bit much to ask them to swap out the speakers to the ones you'll be wanting to use, but it'll give you a good idea, and a good place to start from.

also, word on the street is that the TZ7 is a rather poor pickup if you want a tight sound without mud. try a Blaze Custom or a DS7 if you have the chance.

bigsethmeister

Moooosician
Reaction score
I know, I really need to drag the stuff to Ye Olde Banjo Center and try it out through their cabs but I don't have time. Need to make a decision on a private sale on some used gear.

For $275 used I figure its hard to lose on the 1960b, though I'd also be adding a pair of Hellatone 60L's (worked over v30's) for another couple hundred.

The rectifier is $400 used in good condition.

Leon

Contributor
Reaction score
hmm. that said, go for the Recto cab. jump on it now, and if, later down the road, you can test drive a Marshall cab, you can probably sell the Recto cab for what you paid for it.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Good advice from Leon. :agreed:

Also, with a MK-IV, I'd consider replacing that Tone Zone. That's a VERY midrange heavy pickup without much bass or treble, driving one of the most notoriously mid-heavy amps you can pick up. Sure, you can scoop the fuck out of a Mark-IV with the built-in EQ, but personally I've always preferred using the EQ to get a great tight crunch tone from the lead channel, and then to be able to bypass the EQ and have a slightly boosted, middier lead sound to solo with - to do this, you probably want something that compliments the middy nature of the amp, rather than augments it. A Blaze would be a natural match, and in basswood gives one fuck of a good lead sound, from a Mark-series - instant Petrucci. :agreed:

bigsethmeister

Moooosician
Reaction score
I actually like the ToneZone quite a bit with the Mk IV, but then again I'm not big on the scooped mid sound.

Is $400 a remarkably good deal on a rectifier cab?

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Neither am I, but with a TZ in basswood into a Mark, well, there's not much BUT mids there. A more balanced pickup would sound, well, more balanced through that setup.

$400 is considered a good price for a Recto 4x12 - the sort of price that if it doesn't work out, you could resell it and not lose any money.

Stitch

Banned
Reaction score
+1 for the recto cab. They are, simply, the tightest thing this side of a fifteen year old. :lol:
Nah, seriously, as an owner of a 1960B cab, i think you could do better with a recto cab. Its not the the 1960B is bad, its just that the Mesa is better.

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
Another vote for the Recto cab. I used to own several Marshall cabs, and now I own one Mesa cab. 'Nuff said.

DSS3

Banned
Reaction score
Still never heard a better cabinet than my Mesa. another vote for it here.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I actually like the ToneZone quite a bit with the Mk IV, but then again I'm not big on the scooped mid sound.

Is $400 a remarkably good deal on a rectifier cab?

Unless it's beat to crap, yes. You could probably resell it for $500 or so.

bigsethmeister

Moooosician
Reaction score
Well I wasn't quick enough for the rectifier but I picked up the 1960B for $275. Actually sounds pretty good with the Mark IV. Planning on adding a pair of Hellatone 60L's in an x along with 2 of the 75's.

Think I'm going to rewire the cab with 12 gauge as well. Don't know if it will make a noticeable difference but I've got some bulk cable sitting around anyway...

Leon

Contributor
Reaction score
excellent score. we require a new thread with full pictures, and reviews of this wiring job :agreed:

:D

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Think I'm going to rewire the cab with 12 gauge as well. Don't know if it will make a noticeable difference but I've got some bulk cable sitting around anyway...

I don't think anything bigger than 16 makes any difference, but it can't hurt. ;)

')