Mod: EMG Covers for Passive Pickups

loktide

dotlike
Contributor
Reaction score
thanks for getting back to me really appreciate it. Yeah I got the Initial Invoice from the order and thats it..

Thats a relief though that was the same for you. I will just wait it out then and they should arrive.

Like I said its been 5 days already so 1-2 more weeks and they should appear..

Thanks

i'm sure you'll get the covers. overseas shipping plus customs can take some time ;)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

lewis

Reaction score
i'm sure you'll get the covers. overseas shipping plus customs can take some time ;)

also when you check when they actually took the money for the order it was only 7 working days ago so still plenty of time to wait....

Did you have to pay any sort of Customs tax or import tax etc??

loktide

dotlike
Contributor
Reaction score
also when you check when they actually took the money for the order it was only 7 working days ago so still plenty of time to wait....

Did you have to pay any sort of Customs tax or import tax etc??

no, i didn't. in germany you only have to pay tax on goods with a value greater than something like 40$ (not completely sure about the exact amount)

lewis

Reaction score
no, i didn't. in germany you only have to pay tax on goods with a value greater than something like 40$ (not completely sure about the exact amount)

ok im starting to get worried again about these covers :S

Its been 2 weeks 4 days since the money left my bank for the order and will be 3 weeks on the 5th

and about 5 weeks since I actually made the order.........apart from the Initial Invoice telling me I bought It I STILL havent had any emails from them about anything EVEN though I have emailed them 3 times?........they seem to have NO customer support and this is adding to the worry......I spent like £22 on these covers that in the states are being sold for like £2 each sort of thing. Most of the price was the shipping, but Im still no nearer to getting them?.........some clarification from them would be nice....I dont know how much longer to wait before starting some sort of proceedings to get my money back...........

loktide

dotlike
Contributor
Reaction score
ok im starting to get worried again about these covers :S

Its been 2 weeks 4 days since the money left my bank for the order and will be 3 weeks on the 5th

and about 5 weeks since I actually made the order.........apart from the Initial Invoice telling me I bought It I STILL havent had any emails from them about anything EVEN though I have emailed them 3 times?........they seem to have NO customer support and this is adding to the worry......I spent like £22 on these covers that in the states are being sold for like £2 each sort of thing. Most of the price was the shipping, but Im still no nearer to getting them?.........some clarification from them would be nice....I dont know how much longer to wait before starting some sort of proceedings to get my money back...........

have you contacted them? they should be able to tell you if the order has been shipped or if there's been some delay because of out of stock parts perhaps?

lewis

Reaction score
have you contacted them? they should be able to tell you if the order has been shipped or if there's been some delay because of out of stock parts perhaps?

Ive tried...........Ive emailed them 3 times and got nothing back :S

loktide

dotlike
Contributor
Reaction score
Ive tried...........Ive emailed them 3 times and got nothing back :S

wow, that's really weak of them. i'm sorry to hear that man. i didn't have the need to communicate with them since my covers arrived within 2 weeks or so.

i know that at least here in germany your bank can withdraw a past transaction, but it costs and i don't know how far back you can actually do this. if you still don't hear from them, i'll suggest you to contact your bank/paypal/credit card and ask if you can get your money back.

lewis

Reaction score
Thanks man.
I think Im going to have to, its pretty appaling tbh. Hopefully I can get my money back on these. Its a shame because they are quite obviously the best covers you can find. Ive heard rumours about this business going in and out of new owners etc. Thats probably got alot to do with it.

lewis

Reaction score
after doing some research Ive found these Schaller 174 plastic covers that are textured just like the ones Im going to get my money back on. I can get them from Thomann (who I trust as Ive ordered ALOT of things from them) for like £3 each or something so................

these - Pickup-Cover (174) | Schaller-Electronic

top left one :) apart from not screwing on like the others they look Identical

Murmel

Reaction score
Does anyone know if there's a retailer for the EMG-35 housings (7 string sized housing if I'm correct?) in Europe? Been looking my ass off for these...

lewis

Reaction score
Ok Ive randomly had an email today from Guitar Jones today, out of the blue.....saying my Item has shipped :S

Ok so I made the order 9 weeks ago lol.....they took the money about 3-4 weeks ago....

in that time Ive had NO replies to 3 emails............and out of the blue today they tell me they have only JUST shipped them.....

so another 2 weeks to go until they arrive lol......

loktide

dotlike
Contributor
Reaction score
Ok Ive randomly had an email today from Guitar Jones today, out of the blue.....saying my Item has shipped :S

Ok so I made the order 9 weeks ago lol.....they took the money about 3-4 weeks ago....

in that time Ive had NO replies to 3 emails............and out of the blue today they tell me they have only JUST shipped them.....

so another 2 weeks to go until they arrive lol......

that's odd. maybe they were on holidays or so?

again, i'm sorry to hear you've had so much trouble dealing with these guys. i feel kinda bad for recommending them despite the fact that everything went fine with my purchase.

lewis

Reaction score
what is weird is that I get this email from them the very same day the replacements I ordered from Thomann arrived :S lol typical really. Oh well I guess I will have 2 pairs

And dont feel bad mate.....I still maintain this has been well worth it. I will upload pictures from before and after when they get here and I fit them :hbang:

lewis

Reaction score
The covers arrived yesterday and they are great. Clearly the best Covers you can get.

So just a insight for anyone else using this company based on my experience:

There customer service is AWFUL, except for a automated "you bought this item" email invoice, dont expect to be able to speak to anyone there. I emailed them 3 times and got nothing back....

Clearly what happened is they were out of stock at the time I ordered them and I had to wait for new stock to arrive.......however this took about 7 weeks in all..

I got an email last week saying your item has shipped......and they arrived yesterday. So ONCE everything gets rolling there end it is fine....HOWEVER zero customer service is awful and quite frankly stupid. You think someone there would have been nice enough to inform me of the situation..especially when they took my money for the covers about 4-5 weeks before they had even been shipped...

so to summarize......they did there job, I got the covers but it took ages because clearly they were out of stock....NO 1 EVER contacts you and it took nearly 2 months to get these from ordering....

some cutting is required like what was done in the first post as they stick up slightly too much. But they are great :hbang:

lewis

Reaction score
ok so Im having problems with these covers staying on?. They dont go on properly and pop off through force?. Is there anyway to keep these on more securely that ISNT permanent?. Or is sanding down the inside of the covers slightly the only way to go?.

Ive cut some off the bottom of the covers to make sure they sit as close to the top of the actual pickup as possible.

loktide

dotlike
Contributor
Reaction score
ok so Im having problems with these covers staying on?. They dont go on properly and pop off through force?. Is there anyway to keep these on more securely that ISNT permanent?. Or is sanding down the inside of the covers slightly the only way to go?.

Ive cut some off the bottom of the covers to make sure they sit as close to the top of the actual pickup as possible.

use double-sided adhesive tape and cut off the covers so that the top of the pickup touches the cover

Willens

YASSEAH
Reaction score
My apologies, as I'm new to the world of anything having more than six strings, or having active pickups...

I recently received my RGA8, and of course the pickups are for-shit. I am curious of two things:
1: Will this p/u cover trick work on the RGA8 opting for Dimarzio D Activator 8's?
2: Where might I locate a set of the proper pots?

Again my apologies, but hey if you ever have any automotive/aviation related questions, I might be the fellow to bother!

Thank you kindly for your consideration.

Last edited:

loktide

dotlike
Contributor
Reaction score
Hi man, no need to apologize for asking a question :)

i don't have experience myself with the RGA8, but i'm pretty sure the pickup cover is the same size as with the EMG808s.

Here's what i would watch out for:
The screws of the d-activators may not line up with the covers and/or the stock ibanez pickups.
The pickup tabs might also need to be trimmed to fit in the cover.

unfortunately, i cannot give you an answer myself since i used bare knuckles and had an EMG808 originally in my guitar. I'm sure you'll be able to find the pickup and the cover's dimensions at their respective websites.

as for the pots: not sure what ibanez uses in these, but you'll need 500kOhm pots for both volume and tone. Mostly, the Vol pot has an audio taper and the tone knob is linear. Both will work either way since it merely affects the "slope" of the pots effect on the volume or tone, respectively. Check out the wiring diagrams section at the seymour duncan website in case you need a graphical wiring layout.

good luck and let us know how it goes!

My apologies, as I'm new to the world of anything having more than six strings, or having active pickups...

I recently received my RGA8, and of course the pickups are for-shit. I am curious of two things:
1: Will this p/u cover trick work on the RGA8 opting for Dimarzio D Activator 8's?
2: Where might I locate a set of the proper pots?

Again my apologies, but hey if you ever have any automotive/aviation related questions, I might be the fellow to bother!

Thank you kindly for your consideration.

Willens

YASSEAH
Reaction score
Hi man, no need to apologize for asking a question :)

i don't have experience myself with the RGA8, but i'm pretty sure the pickup cover is the same size as with the EMG808s.

Here's what i would watch out for:
The screws of the d-activators may not line up with the covers and/or the stock ibanez pickups.
The pickup tabs might also need to be trimmed to fit in the cover.

unfortunately, i cannot give you an answer myself since i used bare knuckles and had an EMG808 originally in my guitar. I'm sure you'll be able to find the pickup and the cover's dimensions at their respective websites.

as for the pots: not sure what ibanez uses in these, but you'll need 500kOhm pots for both volume and tone. Mostly, the Vol pot has an audio taper and the tone knob is linear. Both will work either way since it merely affects the "slope" of the pots effect on the volume or tone, respectively. Check out the wiring diagrams section at the seymour duncan website in case you need a graphical wiring layout.

good luck and let us know how it goes!

I'll take it as it comes when they get here, so those EMG bass covers you bought work fine it seems, minus the trimming?

Does anyone know where I can get a 500Kohm pot for the RGA8? It has no tone knob, and I'm not sure I can keep the EQ on/off switch functional (without knowing a lot about wiring.) Any ideas?

I really appreciate you letting me ask stupid questions unabashedly.

Latest posts

')