Mod: EMG Covers for Passive Pickups

philkilla

Baritone Maniac
Contributor
Reaction score
I haven't seen my EMG screws in ages, and the guy that installed the lundgren used different screws to boot...so that made it interesting.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Necky379

Reaction score
do you think this would work with an sd invader? i want to do this to my sc-607 but i dont know if the big allen pole pieces will get in the way. should work right?

lateralus819

Mr. legacy
Reaction score
Would this work with regular routes? I have some BKPS in my carvin and id love to do this.

Reaction score
:bump:

Just a thought: Could you apply shielding to the inside of that cover and ground it? Wouldn't that provide better shielding than the bridge/strings method? I'm guessing you'd also cover it with tape so it doesn't contact the pole pieces?

JordanLee

Star-stuff
Reaction score
I REALLY want to do this with my cold sweats and 2228 that are coming next week.

Quick question to the OP and others equally knowledgable: was there any resolve to DPM's comment about the casing keeping the pups too far from the strings? Is this a significant problem? Obviously, I'd rather have great sounding pups and have them looks messy, than shitty sounding clean ones... But if I can do BOTH! (shakes head in disbelief)
OP: what are your thoughts? Are you getting good tone (more specifically, the tone you want) with the casings on? Is there enough room to get the
close enough? If not, can you order a thinner casing?

Thanks!

dpm

Oni Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
it really depends on the magnetic field strength of your pickups, if you've got a big ceramic magnet and efficient polepieces it may not effect things too much.

JordanLee

Star-stuff
Reaction score
it really depends on the magnetic field strength of your pickups, if you've got a big ceramic magnet and efficient polepieces it may not effect things too much.

Are you, or anyone else, aware if this is the case with the BKP cold sweats? I know nothing about pup magneticism.

Spondus

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure it won't have any effect on tone. The magnetic permeability of plastic is very high (as in the magnetic field between plastic and a paramagnet is too small to be felt) and only active pickups need to be placed very close to the strings due to the fact they use weaker magnets and are actively amplified.

Given that the cases are probably only about 1mm thick, you'd just have to bring the pickups about 1mm close the usual so that the poles of the pickup are at the same distance with respect to the strings with the cover both on and off.

JordanLee

Star-stuff
Reaction score
Well, I think I'll give it a shot. The other option is to get pickup rings... Anyone know where one could get some for 8 string BKPs?

dpm

Oni Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
Given that the cases are probably only about 1mm thick, you'd just have to bring the pickups about 1mm close the usual so that the poles of the pickup are at the same distance with respect to the strings with the cover both on and off.

These ones are 2mm thick on top. So let's say that I like the tone and output of my bridge pickup with the poles 1.5mm from the treble E (measured when fretted at the last fret), if we place the same pickup with the cover at 0.5mm from the string (ie. really, really close) that pickup's poles will then be 2.5mm from the treble E. Keep in mind this is when fretted at the last fret so when you're playing down the other end of the neck the pickup will be even further away from the strings, plus generally you'd want the bass side lower compared to the treble for balance so that side of the pickup is further away again... anyways, I tried it with these covers before this thread existed and didn't like the effect, then I set up a jig to machine the inside of the covers to 1mm thick and tonally things worked better but it's a total pain in the ass and the heat from machining can sometimes damage the cover so I stopped doing that too. Like I said, it depends on where you like your pickup relative to the strings and how powerful the magnetic field is.

13point9

Now with Less Hair!
Reaction score
Would a hotter pickup, counter this?

say using BKP's for example, I want the sound of a black dog, but I buy a hotter pup (Miracle man or something like that) and have the cover on it, would this at least in part work?

n00b question i know but im not to hot on magnetic field dynamics

dpm

Oni Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
well, it depends on what is making the pickup 'hot'. There are 3 basic ways to increase output, by increasing the number of turns of wire on the coil, increasing the amount of iron in the coil (ie. bigger polepieces), and a larger, more powerful magnet. A hot pickup might have any combination of those factors but the magnet properties and polepiece size are the 2 that will effect the magnetic field out of the top of the pickup.

13point9

Now with Less Hair!
Reaction score
ah ok cool cheers trying to find out as I'm going to be looking at replacing some 707's when I can afford it and don't want the gaping holes haha, I guess pickup rings are the other option...

Reaction score
The photobucket links are dead
Is there a way to re-upload the images?

I'm about to do this conversion and it would be appreciated.
Thanks!

loktide

dotlike
Contributor
Reaction score
yeah, i noticed that. i still have the pics, i'll reupload them later.

loktide

dotlike
Contributor
Reaction score
first off, major props to Mesh (djpharaoah) for finding a place where you can order EMG-style bass pickup plastic covers to retrofit an EMG808 (www.guitarjonesusa.com) :yesway:

BEFORE:

img0838i.jpg

AFTER:

img0857q.jpg

so, here's how the covers look like. pretty much exact the same dimensions as the EMG808s (EMG40 housing), but hollow (duh?). the pickups that are going into these are a set of BKP Coldsweats

img0839.jpg

since the pickup's baseplate is too thick to fit directly into the covers, i ended up sawing off the lower 5mm of the housing to get a tight fit:

img0843z.jpg

img0845zz.jpg

img0847rf.jpg

img0841o.jpg

here's the result:

img0848p.jpg

img0877d.jpg

cheers :)

fixd

Reaction score
I have a question for you.

Is it still possible to properly adjust the height of the pickup with those covers?

EBEADGBE

Reaction score
^^^Such good news...the aesthetics was probably the only reason I was debating getting new 8 string pups. Now its a must have.

SplinteredSoul

7 String FTW
Reaction score
You sir (loktide) are my saviour. I too am going to Bare Knuckle 8's, and have been tearing my hair out over pickup rings, and expensive custom covers etc., You just made my life a whole lot easier and I thank you!

Incidentally, since you went from active EMG's to Passive BKP's, how much wiring work did it end up being? Tim at BKP says I'll have to run an earth to the bridge now, which'll be a pain since I have a hipshot hardtail and no trem cavity! Did you have to change the pots too?

')