Mod: EMG Covers for Passive Pickups

nothingleft09

What... the... F@#k!
Reaction score
As crg123 stated I want to to try this too but I'm wondering how a Duncan distortion will fit and if anyones tried this with an sc607b or a schecter hellraiser. I admittedly was lazy and didn't go through all 8 pages. lol

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dommak89

Reaction score
Hey guys I have Blackouts in my Agile Septor Elite and I was thinking about switching them out for BKPs using this technique. I noticed almost all of these guitars that were moded are Ibanez's, so I want to make sure it would work for my Agile.

Why do you want to build your own cover if you can choose between the most awesome covers possible? I mean if you're buying BKP you might as well go with their covers since they have some options and usually look amazing.

loktide

dotlike
Contributor
Reaction score
Why do you want to build your own cover if you can choose between the most awesome covers possible? I mean if you're buying BKP you might as well go with their covers since they have some options and usually look amazing.

he probably means 8-strin pickup covers. BKP doesn't do those

Bigredjm15

Reaction score
Just a heads up if anyone is curious, if you are planning on using Lundgren M8's, they kinda fit in the EMG40 casing, but some doctoring definitely needs done, it tends to bulge a little on the sides causing a lil more than snug fit into the guitar (I did this to my agile 830). I had to trim the inside of the casings to get the pickup to easily fit inside. Just in case anyone wanted to do this. Cheers.

Reaction score
By accident, I have stripped one of the pickup screws on my RGA8.

Do you guys know where can I find the exact same screw?

I have bought replacement screws for bass pickup because they looked alike but, they are larger in diameter. I would prefer not to drill larger holes in my guitar body and use the right screws.

Thank you!

nothingleft09

What... the... F@#k!
Reaction score
Ok guys, so I've come up with a plan. I ordered my EMG 35 covers and mounting screws today for a whole $6. I got the 10 pack from mojotone.com as well as my covers. I'm going to remove the tabs and trim the basepate from a broken 7 string pup I have and I'm gonna mount it inside the cover with silicone or something of that nature I can peel off after I've tested it. I want the full height adjustment and don't want to cut off the bottom of the cover. I want it to look as much as possible like the EMG. And, I'm gonna paint em. lol So let me know what you think and I'll post pics when I'm finished. If everything works out correctly though I'm going to use a 2 part epoxy and make them permanent. I've already mounted the pups I have for my sc607b and tried them out and love them so it's all down hill from here. Pics to come in a few days.

nothingleft09

What... the... F@#k!
Reaction score
Covers came today, but no 2 part epoxy. I shaved the bobbins and baseplate down and also removed the mounting tabs completely. I don't care about reversing it. lol Here are the pics so far.

IMAG0237.jpg

IMAG0238.jpg

IMAG0236.jpg

IMAG0239.jpg

IMAG0240.jpg

So yes, with some work it will work with Duncans or anything else. I got these from Mojo Tone. EMG 35 style bass pickup covers and I got the 10 pack of bass pickup mounting screws. Total cost was $6 before shipping. $12 after shipping. lmao But it was worth it.

petray

Reaction score
So all the links i tried arent working, looking for a cover that is 8 string sized anyone has any updated links or places if not Ok Ill have to figure something out

nothingleft09

What... the... F@#k!
Reaction score
Try mojotone.com That's where I got mine. Like the other guys have said, the 35 style is for 7 string and EMG Style 40 fit the 8 string. I'll try to look up the link for you.

TasmanSam

Reaction score
I hate to be a pain on the bumpage, but does anyone have an Australian supplier for these or at least a supplier that doesn't charge $40 min shipping for $4 worth of plastic :S

molsoncanadian

Crunchy Riff, Eh?
Reaction score
Quick question, has anyone tried this method with Lace x-bar, death bucker?. I have an RGA8 but I hate the look of the lace's.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
@ nothingleft - Did you have to shave down the actual covers at all? Mine were too tall for my RGA8 when I got them. Also, like loktide said, there's a good little gap between the top of the bobbin and the ceiling of the covers.

nothingleft09

What... the... F@#k!
Reaction score
I shaved the pickups to fit tighter into the covers and removed the mounting tabs. The pickups fit perfectly and tightly against the top of the cover. When you do this make sure you have the pups you want because it's permanent. I used a fine stone on my bench grinder and worked slowly. I do fabrication and body work so I wasn't scared to do it. But you need to take your time and do several test fits. Also, I used Seymour Duncan pickups and DiMarzio pickups may fit easier once the tabs are removed. You'll want to get on Stewart Macdonalds website and get some pickup epoxy like EMG uses to secure them permanently in the covers to keep them from sliding out over time.

Paul666

Reaction score
Hey,

I have a BKP Painkiller and one Dimarzio Activator for my RG2228. They fit perfectly and tightly in the cover (after I cut a few mm).

I painted them white yesterday:

Foto%2029.11.12%2017%2051%2033.jpg

Bazinga :shred:

Latest posts

')