mod wiring for 1527, any solution?

• Thread starter 7-request
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

7-request

Reaction score
hi, newbie here,.. :rolleyes:

i was wondering, can i use (pickup selector) position 1= neck Hum-series,
pos 2= neck coil split(single coil mode),
pos 3 = to coil of inner hum neck and brigde,
pos 4 = brigde hum coil split(single coil mode),
pos 5 =brigde hum series.
and without using the pot that have coil tap, just modifying the original wiring? how the diagram will be?

i want a single coil sound,

i have no idea/technical expertise on electronical wiring, i did wiring EMG's on my other guitar, that was simple wiring :p

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Hmm. Is it possible? Of course.

What I did to a 7620 I used to own, however, was a slightly better solution, IMO - I rewired it like a stock JS-100. So, I pulled the 5-way, replaced it with a three way, and put a push/pull coil tap on the tone pot. This gave you

(tone pot down)
1 - neck hum
2 - both humbukers, in parallel with each other
3 - bridge hum

(tone pot pulled)
1 - neck first coil
2 - neck and bridge leading coils, out of phase
3 - bridge leading coil

Diagram's readily available on the ibanez site. ;)

7-request

Reaction score
thanks drew,..

but like i mention, without the push/pull (coil tapper) pot,...
i like to do it with coil tapper either,.. but.. damn man, overhere, that coil tappers are hard to find, i have been looking around for that particular thing,...

u got to understand, i am living in small country, in small country side as well,.. :p
not much musical instruments store here(only two stupid store that sells very cheap guitar and that guitar have been in display for ages)
i cant go online just to order that thing, right? then ship it from US or UK or japan to my stupid hometown... :( shiping fees will take 10 times of its price :(

others?? any solution?

7-request

Reaction score
jambi,
it take less than 15 minutes to go everywhere in this town(by motorbike), and 30 minutes just to go around and show you the town,.. :( a whole town, believe me :(
i guess i live in hell, lack of musical instrument resource,.. :(

i wish i live in japan... :( :((

Digital Black

Reaction score
Cutting off one coil really makes a humbucker sound crappy ( it's not designed to be a single coil, I.E. noise, severe output dropoff).

** Instead- wire it for phase, acts like a single and closely sounds like one , but still retains the benfits of a humbucker.

My ultimate wireing scheme on my old washburn was- 5 way normal. push/pull on volume for bridge phase, and push/pull on tone for "neck on always" This let me use any combo along with the neck. This axe was HSH.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
A lot of modern humbuckers are designed so that they CAN function in single coil mode - not quite as well as a proper single, but still totally useable. My Air Norton 7 sounded amazing coil tapped, in that aforementioned 7620. Tone Zone a little less so, but I was never totally sold on that pickup.

The sound of a parallel hum is definitely more singlecoil-esq than a serial humbucker, but it's not quite as open and bell-like as a true single or a coil-tapped humbucker, and the response is different. If you're a humbucker sort of guy, a parallel humbucker is a better answer, but I've always been more of a singlecoil sort of guy.

Anyway, Sephi, you just mentioned two of the primary weaknesses of ANY single. ;)

Leon

{##[====:::.
Contributor
Reaction score
i should try something like that. the only two positions i ever use on my 7621 are the bridge position and the neck/parallel. the neck/series sounds a bit muddy for me, and the others just lack the punch of the bridge.

Digital Black

Reaction score
I love the sound of a single. But only when the preamp is super clean or with chorus and reverb.
I actuall prefer HSS guitars but there are few with this config in a 7..

ajdehoogh

blarg
Contributor
Reaction score
Drew said:
(tone pot pulled)
1 - neck first coil
2 - neck and bridge leading coils, out of phase
3 - bridge leading coil
Drew- With the tone pot pulled in postions 2 and 3 do you mean with the outside coils? Or the coils facing towards the headstock? :scratch: :wallbash:

Thanks.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Well, when I had mine done, it was with the coils facing towards the headstock, on the wiring dude's recommendation. This gives you a better single coil sound for each, strattier in the neck, and, well, let's not even talk about the bridge. :lol:. I'd imagine both inner coils would sound better for the middle position, but you'd lose some of the neck single magic.

-D

7-request

Reaction score
hmmmm, i guess, my setup for pickup selector cant be done,.. :(

i'll try to get that coil tapper next year with dimarzio or SD pickup, to replace those stock ibanez pickup,.. :(

having 7 string is ruin my life here,.. :(
the sales guy in my local store doesnt even know that dimarzio 7 or SD 7 pickup exist,...
he said, that 7 string pups are costum made for K7 or UV only... :(

hmmm, what do you guys think about bartolini 7 string??? is good or bad? never heard of it for guitar,... :(

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
A few guys use them here - Jim777, maybe? Says they're quite good, especially in conjunction with an internal preamp.

It might be possible to wire it the way you're hoping to, I just wouldn't know for sure. Try Jemsite, maybe? There's a lot of tech-y guys there who might be able to help you with a diagram. FrankFalbo in particular is a veritable fountian of wisdom (and also a bartolini player)

-D

Digital Black

Reaction score
I've been tring to work it out ( and I'm going under the assumption you are going to using Dimarizo's- different manufacturese use different color wires).

tring to draw it out-it's not really working with the stock Ibanez mega switch.

It would be easier if I could physically do it-

7-request

Reaction score
thanks alot drew and sephiroth000,... but iam far from the earth of guitarisme (i really dont know what those mean, just saying thoug, does is have meaning??)... :(

i'm still starring at 1527 diagram that i found in Ibanez US site,... :(

try to figure it out... :(

Digital Black

Reaction score
7-request said:
thanks alot drew and sephiroth000,... but iam far from the earth of guitarisme (i really dont know what those mean, just saying thoug, does is have meaning??)... :(

i'm still starring at 1527 diagram that i found in Ibanez US site,... :(

try to figure it out... :(
Honestly, if you can understand the OEM wiring, this new setup won't be easier.
Get the pickups or parts you want , and just take it to a tech.

7-request

Reaction score
how come the v8-7 only has 3 wires???? my yamaha stock pickup has all 4 wires??
isnt it wired??? i guess only EMG that has 3 wires, hot ground and battery??

and 8 legs switch is a mega switch?? how bout my yamaha switch, it has more leg, like 20 something???

Digital Black

Reaction score
7-request said:
how come the v8-7 only has 3 wires???? my yamaha stock pickup has all 4 wires??
isnt it wired??? i guess only EMG that has 3 wires, hot ground and battery??

and 8 legs switch is a mega switch?? how bout my yamaha switch, it has more leg, like 20 something???
notice all wiring diagram on the Ibanez site a labels wrong-both pips are labeled "neck".
The V8 and V7 pips, are cheap and stinky.
The 8 tabs on the Ibanez switch are actually a set of two. The first and last 4 are a switching set. But that does not mean each set is for one pickup-wireing is always mixed up. It's one of the most frustrating switches I've had to learn.
Other 5 ways give you the same options but make it easier to run different configs.
IMO the Ibanez 5 way is one of the best both in durability, feel, and contact noise. Others disagree..

7-request

Reaction score
i've been looking around, my yamaha switch was just like ibanez jem switch,... 16 leg,..
4 pole,... replace it with 3 way, thanks to Emg pickup,... then lost that megaswitch,.. :(
man, its true,.. its frustrating, i still cant figure it out, i try to compare with H-s-H diagram,.. still cant figure,

i might just stay in stick for a year till i get coil tapper and new pups tho'...

')