Modding a 6505+/5150ii

• Thread starter The Scenic View
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

The Scenic View

Reaction score
Hey guys. I was jut curious on finding out what people think of their modded 6505+'s/5150ii's and 6505's/5150's. How does the modded sound compare to a stock? How mods can be done at home such as the bias mod and where it should be set to get that "modded" sound. How does modding affect the clean channel? What are the new tonal characteristics of the modded 6505+'s/5150ii's and 6505's/5150's?

Give me something along these lines, even more info would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks a bunch!!!

Oh and possible sound clips would be extremely helpful, if you guys have any!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxStatic

Reaction score
I have a stock 6505+ and a "moded" 5150. The mod consists of tuning the bias up and some other randomness. I bought it moded.

Now for the important part, the sound....I can't tell the difference between the two really. There is a subtle difference but I mean subtle. They both sound like 5150/6505 tone.

YMMV.

The Scenic View

Reaction score
Is there a mod that makes the clean on the +/ii sound cleaner, or something that will improve the tone (different pre's?)

dwilk

Reaction score
A new tube set very well COULD help cleans be cleaner, but it would also have an effect on your overdriven channels. Lowering the gain most probably, unless the new set completely trumped the old set in terms of quality.

If you're not worried about that at all, I'd suggest getting a low gain retube kit from Eurotubes. JJ the tube maestro.

7 Dying Trees

Forum MVP
Reaction score
7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bru
The difference before and after on my 5150 was a more open sound, less harsh fizz and it makes it louder. Also made the amp a bit more aggressive. It was well worth doing. It's not a drastic change, but one that really does make a difference in a very good way. Makes thhe amp roar moar :)

xtacles

boosh
Reaction score
The bias change in itself should remove some of the fizz/buzz and open up the amp more at high volumes. If you're playing at low volume, the bias mod won't do a ton for you. There are many other mods that help the 5150/5150 II out a lot, but the bias mod is the most basic and common one that you will see.

The Scenic View

Reaction score
Thanks a bunch guys. How hot should I set the bias on it when I change it. Also, how do the FJA modded 6505/5150 (plus/ii and standard) compare to Voodoo mods or any other company that mods 6505/5150's. What tubes do you guys run with a modded 6505/5150?

')