Modding Squier Sonic Tele questions.

TheBlackBard

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hey, all! I've got a Squier Tele Sonic and I love it so much that I want to grab another and think about making mods to it, to kind of make it my own. I know, I know, why bother going through so much for such a cheapo? It's simple. I want to learn to work on guitars and having a cheap modding platform, not only enables me to do that, but also maybe make something more my own, kinda?

So the questions I have are as follows:

Do the Fender Sub-Sonic necks to make them baritones work on the Sonics without any major modification or adjustments other than intonation, action, and such?

I generally like the IQ of this single coil pickup, it's not too much, cleans up well, but I would just like a HAIR more out of the pickup and turning up the gain isn't quite giving me what I want, so what would give me something similar to the ceramic tone with just a little bit more juice? Thinking about maybe going with some of the noiseless pickups or even maybe trying a SD Hot Rail if that'll handle a little more gain better, but I do like the core tone, and don't necessarily want it to become a metal machine, just comfortable with a little more gain.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

KnightBrolaire

Pickup Connoisseur
Reaction score
Hey, all! I've got a Squier Tele Sonic and I love it so much that I want to grab another and think about making mods to it, to kind of make it my own. I know, I know, why bother going through so much for such a cheapo? It's simple. I want to learn to work on guitars and having a cheap modding platform, not only enables me to do that, but also maybe make something more my own, kinda?

So the questions I have are as follows:

Do the Fender Sub-Sonic necks to make them baritones work on the Sonics without any major modification or adjustments other than intonation, action, and such?

I generally like the IQ of this single coil pickup, it's not too much, cleans up well, but I would just like a HAIR more out of the pickup and turning up the gain isn't quite giving me what I want, so what would give me something similar to the ceramic tone with just a little bit more juice? Thinking about maybe going with some of the noiseless pickups or even maybe trying a SD Hot Rail if that'll handle a little more gain better, but I do like the core tone, and don't necessarily want it to become a metal machine, just comfortable with a little more gain.
1. yes. You may have to file the nut if you're running heavier gauge strings or if the nut height is too tall.

2. You could swap the magnet in the pickup for a ceramic. Or you could install something like an EMG afterburner to juice up the tone . Or just run a clean boost pedal.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Before replacing the pickups, try upping the value of the pots. Cheap, easy, and an upgrade either way.

')