Modeler collecting?

Paul Gilbert

newborn baby
Reaction score
Anyone else here have the urge to collect a bunch of the old amp modelers since around the POD Pro era til now?

large part of me wants to grab POD rack units(even the vetta amp), eleven rack, rocktron prophesy, gsp1101 or the gt-10 floor model.

Then send them all into a box that has 3rd part IRs or something?

something about the cheesy looking older modelers intrigues me so much.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

WarMachine

Reaction score
I've always wanted a Prophesy. I ran an 1101 of about 8 or so years and its phenomenal. And no need to send it to anything else, with mustbeta you can add your own IR's in there as well.

sleewell

Reaction score
not really. i sold my ax8 bc i didn't think i needed it with my helix. i would have even less interest going back to older generation stuff.

Choop

uwu
Reaction score
Seems like there is really no reason to unless you want to move to a 1U rack unit or something, or want a modeler for not a lot of money.

Flappydoodle

Reaction score
Haha, no I wouldn't. Basically, I view modellers as disposable gadgets. Even your shiny Quad Cortex today it most likely going to end up abandoned when something new comes along, eventually ending up in a landfill. I had a Vox Tonelab back in the day - it had a glowing valve in it, so cool! I saved up to buy it and it was my pride and joy... until Guitar Rig 5 came along and I didn't need it any more. Years later I gave it to a charity shop.

michael_bolton

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Haha, no I wouldn't. Basically, I view modellers as disposable gadgets...

...which is why I'm having a hard time justifying spending the $$$ comparable to buying a decent af amp on one of those. well that + the fact that I'm totally content with my pedal + tube and ss setups.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
...which is why I'm having a hard time justifying spending the $$$ comparable to buying a decent af amp on one of those. well that + the fact that I'm totally content with my pedal + tube and ss setups.

Lexicon and eventide stuff 30 years old still sells at a premium.

Not all older rack gear is cheap crap ;)

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
The next AxeFX unit is going to have options to model other modelers, calling it right now.

Lexicon and eventide stuff 30 years old still sells at a premium.

Not all older rack gear is cheap crap ;)

A lot of those Alesis fx units from the 90s are still popular. Quadraverb is a rad little box.

Chri

-________-
Reaction score
I definitely get you on this. I really love tweaking and learning the ins and outs of modelers. Don't know why, but I could sit there for hours on end messing with parameters, and fiddling with knobs.

Even when they're outclassed, I think it's still fun to play with the old generations. I've always wanted to try out the Prophesy line (those Rusty Cooley ads are like the only time I ever even saw them), and the Digitech GSP. Something about them is really intriguing.

I'm 100% buying some Vetta amps and the HD147 at some point. The teen guitar player in me that couldn't afford them needs it. :lol:

EDIT: speaking of the 147, is that video of Ben Moody playing it archived anywhere? I'd love to see it and cringe.

Themistocles

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
still love my Boss gt3 for its matchless model... Ive done some crazy stuff with its rudimentary speaker emulation and extensive EQ and nothing quite does what it does and I love that sound in 1x12 cabinet. Every time I see an eleven on craigslist I think... maybe I should snag that?

I like the new modelers too though... their high gain emulations are so much better these days.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I've been feeling doing that with old multi fx pedals I've had, like a Digitech BP8 or the RP7 one my guitarists had.

I bought a Tec 4 for my brother last year, for nostalgia. Those aren't bad for what they are, and it's a lot cheaper than buying a bunch of DOD pedals.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
A lot of those Alesis fx units from the 90s are still popular. Quadraverb is a rad little box.

That and you get people going after the '80s- '90s Yamaha boxes. Mostly for the Symphonic chorus sound though.

I have a friend who used to swear by a Lexicon PCM. Had to ditch it out of his live rig though. The delay to change patches finally got to him.

Themistocles

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I've been feeling doing that with old multi fx pedals I've had, like a Digitech BP8 or the RP7 one my guitarists had.

I bought a Tec 4 for my brother last year, for nostalgia. Those aren't bad for what they are, and it's a lot cheaper than buying a bunch of DOD pedals.
true and like my Boss GT3... its got the analog pedals built in

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
That and you get people going after the '80s- '90s Yamaha boxes. Mostly for the Symphonic chorus sound though.

I have a friend who used to swear by a Lexicon PCM. Had to ditch it out of his live rig though. The delay to change patches finally got to him.

Yeah, a lot of that stuff seems better suited for studio use. I only use quadraverb live for super ambient stuff. It imparts a substantial volume cut and colors the tone and gain structure/response in a way that isn't bad but is very apparent. Still though, I put up with all of that whenever I can because the reverb sounds are incredible.

Shask

Reaction score
Not really. For the most part, a new Axe-FX or something is going to sound way better than the older digital stuff. Maybe one of the older Digitech 2120's or something that had tubes in it for the fun of it.

On the other hand, I have several older rack effects units like Rocktron, Lexicon, and TC Electronics. A lot of cool effects on those boxes.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
You can generally make the new stuff sound like the old stuff, but not vice-versa. Leon Todd has many vids on it.

wakjob

Reaction score
I think some of that original modeling stuff will be desirable/collectable in the future.
All things in the gear world come back full circle with different age groups...eventually.

Look at the rack gear interest lately.
40-50 year old players are letting their nostalgia get the better of their bank accounts.

Spinedriver

Reaction score
I've always wanted a Prophesy. I ran an 1101 of about 8 or so years and its phenomenal. And no need to send it to anything else, with mustbeta you can add your own IR's in there as well.

True, you can (and I have) add IRs to the 1101 but it sounds SO much better going through a Two Notes CAB M mainly because of the limitations of the kind of IR the 1101 can use and that something like the CAB M is a lot more versatile (power amp sim, 'expander' eq, ability to mix 2 irs simultaneously, etc..). This is also true for older modelers, you'd be surprised how much better they can sound if you plug them into a decent cab simulator instead of using the stock ones. The only problem is that in a lot of the older ones, you may not be able to turn the onboard cab sim 'off', so that could be a bit of a hurdle.

')