Modeler collecting?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

laxu

Reaction score
I've sometimes considered picking up a Yamaha DG combo when I have seen one used because I loved that amp but I know if I do it won't sound as good as my current gear and I might just spoil the fond memories I have of that amp.

Otherwise I'm definitely trying to not be a collector. If something feels redundant it gets sold. My guitars are the closest thing to a collection now.

Richter

Reaction score
I love modelers and cheesy gear. A few years ago I bought back an 1101, Valve FX, J-station, Blackstar ID15 and was this close to buy a Vetta combo while owning an Axe FX II, Helix Native and most of NeuralDSP's plugins. If I still had a rack rig I'd get a Prophesy in a heartbeat.

Accoun

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Been mildly curious about the OG POD, maybe the OG Pod Pro too. The latter mostly because My Dying Bride used them way after they became obsolete and maybe some of the early Fear Factory, but it still might be too high-end to be interesting? Not sure how the cab modelling was on the earlier pro units (both Pods and other manufacturers), as opposed to what I assume is pretty basic filtering on the consumer models.

Would say it kinda fills the same niche as the Tech21 amp emulation pedals/DIs, just from a different technological perspective.

Elric

Reaction score
I get the urge here and there to pick up one of the older amps as a grab and go. They are sooo cheap but they are pretty capable. I think knowing these were flagship products and what they cost at one point makes them feel like real bargains today... ex:

L6 HD147
L6 Vettas
L6 Spider Valve
L6 Duoverb
H&K Zentera
Atomic Reactor 112 + POD X3 or something.
POD XT Pro + cheap and light SS 1u rack power amp

The HD147 in particular seems super cool. I like the unique looks, etc. 300W should provide a lot of headroom. Most of the time, people on Reverb ask way too much for all of the above (they are thinking about they paid back in the day). But if you watch guitar center's used inventory or look at the actual sold listings, many of these can be found for really cheap if you are patient.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
I love my helix, but I don't think i'd go out and start collecting old dusty modelers. I'm sure most of them sound fine, just no need in my opinion if my helix does everything and more.

Forever Mourning

Reaction score
I always wondered if the old tech would come back. I definitely miss my ADA MP-1 classic, wish I never sold it! I have to agree with Spinedriver, I used to use my POD HD with the Two Notes Torpedo, sounded badass! However, I love my Kemper!

AwakenTheSkies

Life is like a box of chocolates
Reaction score
I recently gave away my Digitech RP500 to my friend for free. Idk I don't feel bad, it had been laying around in a box for years anyway..

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
Well, tbh, no. I have an axe fx II and III. I understand wanting to get (and use) "vintage" gear but if I wanted to do that, I'd go for 80es or 90es tube preamps and power amps+ single effect racks that I couldn't afford when I was 15 and which caused me to drool a lot in shops and on magazine/catalogs pages.
Which will, in most cases, sound better than oldschool modelers anyway.

I love vintage stuff, I have a vintage stereo system etc, but I still want it to perfrom decently well compared to modern offerings, unless it's just a price thing. I have a vintage car, but that's just because I don't wanna spend. Shut up.

One of the fails of the early modelers for me is that they're made of cheap plastic. I like some vintage stuff because it's crafted with better quality materials than modern stuff even if the performance isn't as good, see my stereo topic about it. Gimme metal knobs and casing.

dspellman

Reaction score
Anyone else here have the urge to collect a bunch of the old amp modelers since around the POD Pro era til now?

Then send them all into a box that has 3rd part IRs or something?

I *have* most of the "bean" series modelers from the Pod XT through the Pod HD, plus a couple of floor modelers (Pod XT Live and HD500X) plus some foot pedal boards for the beans. I've seen a lot of YouBoob vids lately where someone has picked up an old "bean" for dirt cheap and decided to see if it aged well. In nearly every case, they've concluded it was more than usable today, and at the used pricing was an enormous bargain.

For some years (before I got the Helix), I ran a Two Notes C.A.B. behind the HD500X. I wasn't altogether happy with the cab models on the HD500X, and the C.A.B. turned the combination into something that could easily run with the Fractals, Kempers, etc. The ability to *virtually* move both mikes around with the C.A.B. IRs is amazing, the power amp sims make a big difference, and the reverb (sort of a toss-in, probably) is actually one of the best I've used. The combination is still a backup for the Helix, and a worthy one.

Latest posts

')