Modify my floating trem~~ with PIEZOs!!

• Thread starter Kr1zalid
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Kr1zalid

Archrocker
Reaction score
Hi! I'm seeking advices and opinions of SS.org members about modification of existing floating trems with piezo pickup systems...

I remember there's a thread here about this (that person modified his Ibanez S series trem and put piezo pickups there...) but I cannot remember nor find the thread anywhere... :scratch: Then I searched in the Internet about this and the answer I get is: It's impossible to modify an existing trems into trems with piezos...

Again, are there anyways to put piezo pickups on existing floating trems DIY??

Thanks in advance!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Contact the member on here named shotgunn, he does custom Piezo installs into trems. As far as I know he's done it to most of the popular Ibanez trems such as the Lo-Pro, ZR, and Edge Pro. As for the OFR, they make replacement saddles with built in Piezo elements.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
As Max said. IIRC shotgunn charged around 300$ for the labour plus the cost of the saddles, preamps, etc.

Kr1zalid

Archrocker
Reaction score
Nice!! Btw, I wish there's someone here who can actually teach me how do it myself :agreed:

I'll contact him if I need to... Thanks guys :wavey:

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
Contact the member on here named shotgunn, he does custom Piezo installs into trems. As far as I know he's done it to most of the popular Ibanez trems such as the Lo-Pro, ZR, and Edge Pro. As for the OFR, they make replacement saddles with built in Piezo elements.

You do however need to machine the baseplate of an OFR if you use graph techs piezo saddles. Something to keep in mind.

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
Nice!! Btw, I wish there's someone here who can actually teach me how do it myself :agreed:

Unless you have an Edge Pro, that's probably not possible, and even then it would still be difficult as you still have to route the body. Ibanez LoPro bridges have to have their saddles modified and OFR's have to have their baseplates drilled, both by a mill. Not exactly equipment you find just lying around.

shotgunn

Reaction score
First thing you need to do is build a CNC machine. $2500 for my micro mill. This is an entry level machine, but is more than enough for what I do. Hardly worth it for someone who just wants to mod their guitars.

I'd be glad to help you out. PM me if you are interested.

Thanx,

shotgunn

shotgunn

Reaction score
And this is NOT an easy task. I have spoken to a few seasoned CNC machinists and they all said the same thing... "YOU'RE TRYING TO MILL HARDENED STEEL!?!?!?!!!??!" One said, 'You're a braver man than I."

The OFR base plates destroy my cutters every time. The cutters are like $16-20 a piece. Usually I break 2 or 3 for just one OFR base=plate.

shotgunn

You do however need to machine the baseplate of an OFR if you use graph techs piezo saddles. Something to keep in mind.

')