Molten Gemstone JP7 pics

• Thread starter andrapos
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

andrapos

7 string sales guy
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I'm happy with the way it came out. I usually fool around with musclecars so the guitar painting was new to me. I sprayed 8 coats of color over a 2 coat black base, then put on my mask and shot 3 coats of clear at my buddy's shop.

I'll be shooting a few more guitars in different colors later this spring, and if they go over well I will probably offer repaints as an option.

WayneCustom7

Paolo
Contributor
Reaction score
zimbloth said:
Nah I just think they're way overpriced for the features you're recieving. I'd say the same thing about the Universe and I own/love those. When you're getting in the $1899 range, you're paying above custom shop prices for a production guitar with inexpensive components. Basswood, maple, bolt-on construction, solid-color finishes, rosewood fretboards, i mean these are all cheap. For close to $2000 you should be getting AAAA quilt tops, ebony boards, definitely the piezo option enabled, neck-thru, etc etc.

Doesn't mean it's not a great guitar, it's just IMHO a rip-off at the prices they ask for new. Ask Noodles what he paid for his custom shop 7. I bet it's no more than $1300-1400. I paid $1250 for mine, full blown custom with tons of expensive options. I have a Universe, equally as overpriced, but I only paid $1099 for mine so in that range it's a lot more reasonable.

There's just no other way to rationalize those prices from a value standpoint.

That's full of crap and you know it. These are hand made guitars, might as well be boutique...factor in the custom wound Dimarzios unique only to this model (or specially made for Petrucci), the Schaller M6-IND locking tuners and the one of a kind unique trem with solid steel saddles and you've taken a regular 1000.00 guitar into the 1800.00 range...oh yeah, don't forget the bird's eye maple neck and the extra string. Have you ever played one? Have you ever seen one...and this garbage about it being more expensive because it's a signature model is full of shit. An EBMM Silhouette(no signature model), with similar features is comparably priced to a JP 6 string, keeping in mind that the JP's have the unique trem.

Ken

Forum MVP
Reaction score
zimbloth said:
There's just no other way to rationalize those prices from a value standpoint.

As we say in the car business: "value perceived is value received".

Value means different things to different people. Some think I'm nuts for buying my puke-swirl 7620 at all, let alone for $600. To me, it's so ugly it's cool, has new pickups and trem, and plays excellent. It had value to ME, and that's why I bought it.

I've heard and played the EBMM JP7, and if I wanted one, the price seems fair to me considering the quality of the instrument. But I wouldn't buy one, so to me their value is 0.

[action=Ken Burtch]asks that you not tell Donnie. He may send Charlie after me. Wait. Go ahead and tell him...[/action]

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
zimbloth said:
Doesn't mean it's not a great guitar, it's just IMHO a rip-off at the prices they ask for new. Ask Noodles what he paid for his custom shop 7. I bet it's no more than $1300-1400. I paid $1250 for mine, full blown custom with tons of expensive options. I have a Universe, equally as overpriced, but I only paid $1099 for mine so in that range it's a lot more reasonable.

About $1750, actually. The inlays, semi-custom headstock , complete neck and headstock binding, and the oiled neck accounts for the extra five bills. However, you're right, he is downright cheap for what he gives you for your money.

I think JP7's are a tad on the expensive side, but not outrageously so. I have never played a bad Music Man instrument before. They are all ridiculously high quality, and are built with an attention to detail that some custom shops can't touch. They use top tonewoods and hardware on everything. Remember, this guitar has basswood because that is what Petrucci wanted. In many cases, they cost more because of all the R&D that went into things like bridges and neck joints, because they don't just use off the shelf parts.

EVH's nicest guitar ever was the EB's. Everything about them screamed high quality. They actually took Eddie's broken in Charvel neck, and completely duplicated it perfectly with a CNC program. Every single one of those guitars felt broken in right from the factory.

Having said that, I will never own a EB. Their instruments just don't speak to me, and I can't get over how they look. They make one of the most comfortable necks I have ever played, though. If you want to knock someone for overcharging, then let's start a thread about Gibson Les Pauls...

jim777

Seen all good people
Forum MVP
Reaction score
eleven59 said:
I'd like to clarify something: I'd totally buy a JP7 w/ Piezos if I could afford it. I'm very jealous :lol:

Carvin is blowing a huge opportunity here by not offering piezos on their 7's. EBMM has NO competition with their piezo 7, and Carvin could grab 1/4 of that market on day 1 without much of a problem at all.

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
You could easily retrofit a fixed-bridge Carvin with GraphTech saddles, or Floyd saddles when they're available. It kinda sucks that Carvin offers piezo options on their 6-strings but not on the sevens from the factory.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
zimbloth said:
Nah I just think they're way overpriced for the features you're recieving. I'd say the same thing about the Universe and I own/love those. When you're getting in the $1899 range, you're paying above custom shop prices for a production guitar with inexpensive components. Basswood, maple, bolt-on construction, solid-color finishes, rosewood fretboards, i mean these are all cheap. For close to $2000 you should be getting AAAA quilt tops, ebony boards, definitely the piezo option enabled, neck-thru, etc etc.

While I don't want to encourage the beating of a dead horse, I'd just like to point out that your list of features is HIGHLY subjective. Personally, I vastly prefer the tone of basswood to mahogany - this is why I sold my CST. I'm split on rosewood vs. ebony, but would take maple over both. And I don't particularly care for neck-through guitars. I can't put my finger on what exactly it is about them, but given a choice I prefer bolt ons. And piezos? once again, I sold the CST. it's good as an option, but it's not for everybody.

For a bolt on H-H basswood bodied axe without the JP inlays (which I don't care for) at that build quality in the $1400 range, it's actually what I consider fairly reasonable, and the only thing I'd change is a flamed top over a trans finish, and a maple fretboard (which, naturally, I would expect to pay more for).

The JP7 simply isn't what you look for in a seven. For the type of seven it is, and without the options I wouldn't want anyway, it's much closer to what I like, and priced at what i consider, while not cheap, at least fairly reasonable.

andrapos

7 string sales guy
Reaction score
Shaman said:
Damn, that's one pretty axe! Very nice work with the paint.

How bad was it damaged?

Beautiful, absolutely beautiful :yesway:

This badly...
JP2.jpg

JP1.jpg

Thanks, I think it turned out alright! :lol:

eleven59

None shall pass.
Contributor
Reaction score
Hmm...now I think about it, I think this is the second time I've heard of a JP7 getting damaged during shipping. The other being something about the case being standing on the headstock end the whole way there and the lining of the case being too thin, causing a chipped headstock...but could've been an Ibanez, I'm not sure.

')