Momentary Killswitch->RG7420

• Thread starter LI3G3KILL3R
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

LI3G3KILL3R

Reaction score
So, I'm looking to install a momentary killswitch/button (that is, you push down, it cuts the signal completely, and let up, signal is back) in my Ibanez RG7420. Are there any good web resources on doing such a thing? Am I using the wrong terminology for my search? I understand its a fairly simple operation, but i don't want cut open my baby. Would this be the right idea as far as a button goes...

Button from Radio Shack

Thanks a bunch!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

OzzyC

:ubersquint:
Reaction score
I don't think so, that one is open, meaning it would do the reverse. Your signal would be cut until you press it.

DelfinoPie

Whoopsie Daisy!
Contributor
Reaction score
Yup, a closed one is what you're after.

Then its a matter of soldering a wire from the button to the peg on the volume pot with the 'live' wire coming off it. And soldering an earth from the other peg on the button to the casing of the volume pot so its grounded.

Thats how I did my killswitch on my orange strat anyway and it works like a charm. :yesway:

OzzyC

Reaction score
I belive he did, I also remember him posting a link to the button he used. :scratch:

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
i want one that´s ´´open´´, like it cuts the signal untill you press it, and have a switch to bypass it... so i flip the switch, and it´s on... i just feel i could do more with a button like that...

Stitch

Banned
Reaction score
i want one that´s ´´open´´, like it cuts the signal untill you press it, and have a switch to bypass it... so i flip the switch, and it´s on... i just feel i could do more with a button like that...

That's a switch you are describing rather than a button. A button is essentially a momentary break/contact setup, wheras a switch stays in one state until you place it in another :)

As an aside, the Yamaha RGX420S came stock with a killswitch as you describe :)

OzzyC

Reaction score
That's a switch you are describing rather than a button. A button is essentially a momentary break/contact setup, wheras a switch stays in one state until you place it in another :)

As an aside, the Yamaha RGX420S came stock with a killswitch as you describe :)

:agreed: Although, it would be cool to have a button that you could twist to lock as open, but I haven't seen any like that which would work for guitar.

eleven59

None shall pass.
Contributor
Reaction score

That would work. Use the open button, and use a mini-switch to bypass the button. So the switch would work as a killswitch, but while it's in the "kill" position, the button would turn the sound back on. I like the idea, myself.

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
That would work. Use the open button, and use a mini-switch to bypass the button. So the switch would work as a killswitch, but while it's in the "kill" position, the button would turn the sound back on. I like the idea, myself.

that´s EXACTLY what i want :p

would be pretty cool, wouldn´t it? you could get some sick control over the instrument that way... because with ordinary killswitches, like neck p/u volume off and using pickup selector 3-way switch as the killswitch, you´re basically having the sound off and turning it on by flipping te switch downwards... i would think that it would make sense to do te same with a button, you know?

HamBungler

Lord Zorgatron
Reaction score
that´s EXACTLY what i want :p

would be pretty cool, wouldn´t it? you could get some sick control over the instrument that way... because with ordinary killswitches, like neck p/u volume off and using pickup selector 3-way switch as the killswitch, you´re basically having the sound off and turning it on by flipping te switch downwards... i would think that it would make sense to do te same with a button, you know?

Buckethead does the same stuff with a closed pushbutton. Why not just use that?

Right now in my Samick I even have a soft-touch on/off switch that if tapped instead of pushed all the way in will act as a killswitch, and then you have both modes open to you in one switch.

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
that´s exactly the thing though, i want the sound to START when i push the button, in, and STOP when i release... not the opposite :p

just makes alot more sense like that

OzzyC

Reaction score
Then how would you play in a normal situation if it's always open? :scratch:

HamBungler

Lord Zorgatron
Reaction score
Then how would you play in a normal situation if it's always open? :scratch:

He would have a switch that kills the killswitch. I myself find it more practical to just have a pushbutton for when I wanna do something crazy at any moment, not take time to flip another switch and then try to use it. It just takes too much time IMO.

Latest posts

')