Monsters of High Gain 2013 ft. Ola Englund

• Thread starter spawnofthesith
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

spawnofthesith

Reaction score
Monsters of High Gain 2013 - Premier Guitar

I feel like they did everything about a million times better this year, way more time spent actually hearing the amp being played, and the amps aren't mic'ed to sound like shit this year. Ola ftw

EDIT: Listening to more of them, Premier Guitar STILL could have done a way better job mic'ing those amps

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

capoeiraesp

Reaction score
mmm... that thrasher sounds so good. Such a pity that they paired the 5150 with the 1x12 cab.

poopyalligator

Dr.Poopyalligator
Reaction score
I really feel that they could have presented these amps better, the micing doesn't sound like it was done well, and at the low volume he is playing at you can't really get a good representation of what the amp sounds like in person.

Esp Griffyn

Play more music
Reaction score
I thought I recognised some of these riffs, the two I picked out were The Haunteds "99" in the Marhsall demo, and Entombed's "Damn Deal Done" in the Orange demo.

Some interesting videos, I thought the EVH 5150III sounded the best of the lot, despite being the one they seemed to like the least. And could they not have maybe used an EQ pedal to tame the fizz a bit? Pretty much every video has constant fizz.

Maggai

Slayer of the gods
Reaction score
I think Ola's own videos sound better than this. But that may have to do with some post processing he does, and here they're just showing how they sound miked up with no further tweaking.

Reaction score
wow, does that orange ever stand out as being WAY under the pack out of those amps. Great playing and great demos.

In regard to the sound, yes, this is bare bones, guitar to amp to mic type stuff to showcase the true sound of the amp, which in my opinion is how all demos should be when it comes to amps. He did a great job.

Esp Griffyn

Play more music
Reaction score
wow, does that orange ever stand out as being WAY under the pack out of those amps. Great playing and great demos.

In regard to the sound, yes, this is bare bones, guitar to amp to mic type stuff to showcase the true sound of the amp, which in my opinion is how all demos should be when it comes to amps. He did a great job.

I have to agree, that Orange doesn't sound so hot, but I've never liked Orange amps.

On another note, what is Ola actually famous for? How did he get into this amp demoing business? I know he is a guitarist in Six Feet Under, but if you didn't know better you'd think he demoed equipment for a living.

Basti

not much space to wr
Reaction score
I have to agree, that Orange doesn't sound so hot, but I've never liked Orange amps.

On another note, what is Ola actually famous for? How did he get into this amp demoing business? I know he is a guitarist in Six Feet Under, but if you didn't know better you'd think he demoed equipment for a living.

Yep, pretty sure that's basically it. Unless I really don't know any better he made his fame from Youtube, probably helped by people going "hey it's that guitarist from *pick a band*.
In a sense it's good marketing strategy on his part.

rjnix_0329

Reaction score

I started watching his videos on YouTube about 3 years ago...if he got some sort of lucky break before then I don't know. Since then he has just built up a fanbase by releasing good tone demos of amps and being a really accessible guy to talk to on Facebook and YouTube. Maybe 6 months to a year ago he was invited to join Six Feet Under and he started working with Randall and Mike Fortin on their new line of amps, one of which will be his signature.

Kind of a neat career trajectory, IMO. A few people around here seem to dog on him and his playing style, but I can't hate on someone who made a name for himself through pure effort and skill.

Esp Griffyn

Play more music
Reaction score
Whats wrong with his playing style? It does seem to be bread and butter metal riffs, not much catches my ear (apart from when I hear him playing other people's riffs) but that seems to be a style that a lot of people go wild for, even if I'm not one of them.

Crabface

Reaction score
Wow... They made the Orange sound shit.
The EVH too.

I have a TH30 at home and it sounds wildly better than in that demo, but once I saw that the gain was all the way up I already knew that it would sound shit in this demo. It's as if they didn't even try to get a good tone.
From experience, past a certain point there is so much gain that you can't even tell when you raise it other than the tone getting far too muddy, yet they raised it all the way up and scooped the mids... Destined for failure.

lewstherin006

Reaction score
I'm glad they got ola to demo these amps, but I find the demos and play throughs on his YouTube channel are a little better, but that might have been because of the cabs that were used.

Posted from Sevenstring.org App for Android

Esp Griffyn

Play more music
Reaction score
There is / was definitely a gap in the market for good product demoing. Some of the stuff you see is horrendous, makes you wonder how the company actually signed off on it being released to the public. For example, Bognor's Uberschall pedal demo video, the pedal is specifically designed for "ultra high gain, aggressive tone"; the video then proceeds to show you a guy with a Gibson SG, with standard pickups, playing the most cliche, hackneyed "metal" riffs you could imagine for about 30 seconds on an amp that sounds about as tight as a dutch hookers vag by the time Sunday morning rolls around. Then the rest of the the video, about 6 minutes of him noodling on a Japocaster with a low gain tone dialled in. Talk about not playing to your target audience, or your product's strengths at all.

Then there is this guy, who does the videos for MXR. Wow, he sucks, his playing is lame, he looks like a goofball and to be honest, I'd feel a bit embarrassed if my wife came in the room and saw me watching this, it's that cheesy and shit. The last thing he plays on this video, does he hit a single clean note?

MXR ZW44 Wylde Overdrive Demo Video - YouTube

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
IIRC his band Feared is also fairly popular in Europe which may be how he got into the equipment demoing stuff

redstone

Reaction score
Not Ola's fault, after all he just did what they asked, but it "just" demonstrates that the diezel cab sounds the best in Ola's room with a dynamic mic. Actually, isn't that the most important thing to know ? I mean, to know which cab will ruin your mic'ed tone ? That was a great cab test, thanks Ola ;)

noUser01

Still can't play.
Reaction score
Not Ola's fault, after all he just did what they asked, but it "just" demonstrates that the diezel cab sounds the best in Ola's room with a dynamic mic. Actually, isn't that the most important thing to know ? I mean, to know which cab will ruin your mic'ed tone ? That was a great cab test, thanks Ola ;)

What about which mic will ruin your cab's tone? :lol:

technomancer: Almost a year now, and he's done some bigger stuff since then, but yes you're right.

')