Monuments - I, The Creator Cover

Reaction score
Let me know what you guys think!

Equipment used is as follows:
Guitar: Agile Interceptor Pro 727 with EMG-707 pickups
Amp: iPad running JamUp Pro with a custom amp that I made in Bias (also used JamUp for the bass guitar)
Bass: Brice 6 string with EMG-45DC pickups
Drums: Superior Drummer 2.0 Metal Foundry
Vocals: MXL-990 condenser mic
DAW: Ableton Live 9 Suite

All the instrumentation was performed by myself. I programmed the drums in superior, and the vocals are all me as well (both singing and screaming). All vocals were done live (including the harmonies). I didn't use any plugins to generate harmonies or anything. It's all live :)

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/robbiesearles/monuments-i-the-creator-robbie-searles-cover[/SC]

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

KingAenarion

Resident Studio Nerd
Reaction score
This is really great dude. I reckon you captured the aesthetic of the song really well.

The only thing I'd suggest is try pushing your vocals back in to the mix with reverb a little more and then bring them back out just a little with some parallel compression so that they 'come out' of the mix more than 'sit on top of it'

Reaction score
Thanks guys! @musicman61554 I am working on an original with a friend of mine right now. Sadly, since I'm in grad school, I don't have much time to write as I would like.

@KingAenarion, I will definitely try that. I haven't released this cover to anyone except this forum yet, so I can still make some changes :)

Reaction score
@KingAenarion I agree man. I didn't think to do that before. Never really messed with parallel compression, but it's quick and easy and really definitely helps the mix

Kylezan

Reaction score
Dude this is such a great cover!

Even the vocals are sick!

The only criticism i can give is that the track is a little heavy on the mids and it's making it pretty muddy in some parts. Could use some polish on the higher frequencies ecspecially on some of the drum shells. Also the compression you are using on the drum buss is a little pumpy on the cymbals but its not a bad mix at all, good work dude, the tracks sound really clean.

Reaction score
@kylezan thanks man. Yeah I'm using an isotope maximized so I think when some of the instruments drop out its making the cymbals a bit loud. Good looks man.

@taylord thanks bro

Seriously thanks to all you guys :) this is only my second recording ever lol. It's reassuring to know I'm doing alright haha

Reaction score
I just edited the mix a bit. Rolled the mids back a bit and used parallel compression on the guitar to make it less muddy...soundcloud seems to be broken as it just deleted all my tracks because the GUI bugged out, but I'll get it up here as soon as soundcloud decides to work again

Reaction score
What do you guys think of this? I rolled the mids back and added some parallel compression to the guitar

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/robbiesearles/monuments-i-the-creator-robbie-searles-cover[/SC]

Reaction score
UPDATE: I figured out why the cymbals were so pingy. My izotope Alloy plugin that was on the drum bus was making the transients sustain longer (which was my fault....didn't realize exactly what that knob did). I liked the idea of sustain, but it made it more pingy instead of reverby if that makes sense? I fixed that too. It's not in the mix I just posted above, but it does sound better.

Thank you guys so much for all the feedback. It's been really helpful. If you have any more, don't hesitate to throw it my way. I like constructive criticism

Reaction score
Final version

')