Monuments Megathread

MrYakob

Reaction score
Has there even been any confirmation that Chris is involved with the new EF? I've seen teasers from Nick but haven't heard anything about Chris. It wouldn't surprise me if he wants to focus on Monu full time

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Arkeion

Reaction score
They cancelled the Memphis date. Hope they reschedule it on this tour.

Leberbs

Reaction score
What happened to Chris and Periphery? Chris and The Haarp Machine?
This dude sounded really good with both of them. Serious personal issues again?

aesthyrian

Reaction score
Chris and Periphery split due to working differences, and his live performances which were lacking at the time. They had their debut album done, but needed vocals recorded and Chris was taking longer than they wanted or needed(he was also recording with Casey Sabol who is notorious for well, not releasing anything in years haha), they found Spencer and he did his vocals in a matter of weeks unless I am mistaken.

As far as Haarp, well he was just a fill in after the entire band left cause the leader is insane. I doubt Chris would want to work with a lunatic if he can avoid it, so it was just the one tour.

I think he left Friend For a Foe due to inactivity and lack of exposure/promotion. Have no clue whats up with Ever Forthright.

Zalbu

More time than skill
Reaction score
Would be a shame to see Monuments go down the same way Ever Forthright did, but you can't blame them since it's not really a lucrative business. Being a full time touring musician while barely breaking even really takes its toll. :ugh:

Zalbu

More time than skill
Reaction score
Yup, and they're still barely getting any money. Just take a look at some of Brownes social media posts. Hell, you could argue that it's more unstable to be in a band like Monuments since you know that being in a band like Ever Forthright isn't going to be lucrative and you can adjust accordingly.

aesthyrian

Reaction score
Not just metal, it's any art that's not exposed at a mainstream level. I mean, if he wants to work at a music store he can, but clearly that is not fulfilling, and money is not more fulfilling than writing, and sharing his music all over the world, I would assume.

They all say they make no money, and to an extent I believe it, I don't make much money either so let's all just deal with it and realize experience and memories can't be bought later on in life, but money can always be obtained. In this regard, Browne is much richer than myself or others.

I'll be sure to leave a healthy tip for them at the show, and prob not buy a shirt instead so that they can make 100% profit and still have the merch to sell. That's really all I can do, beside listening to the music with endless devotion, following the band at every step, and going to every show that comes through my area.

But hey, they can always get day jobs and just dream about touring. I'm just sick of hearing it, from every band, like it's exclusive to this generation only. Social media doesn't help either when certain musicians complain about money and then post pictures of their porsches, nice houses/apartments in high rent areas, and endless guitars and gears(shelves of pedals and effects, oh my!), and always wear such nice clothes. It's easy to be broke when you live "rich" but actually aren't. I'm not saying Browne represents this, but there are others that do and they leave a bad taste in your mouth when you continually hear it, even from legit sources such as Browne.

At least they are UK based, so most of them have publicly funded healthcare. Try that in the U.S. you will be paying monthly for a plan just to be legally covered but it will provide no care at all. It's always worse being poor and broke without even having access to health care. Maybe Chris is unfortunately having to deal with just that situation. Especially as a vocalist, your health is important while touring and performing.

John_Strychnine

I Was Once Groove.
Reaction score
You pay monthly for healthcare in the UK too, it's called national insurance and that changes depending on your income level. There is no such thing as free.

All the gear I currently own, I only bought one item, the rest is through endorsements. Everything I bought in the past (when I was able to have a secure full time job) I've sold to pay my rent over the years. I don't even have a license to drive aged 30 as I've never been able to afford it.

All these bands ask is that you buy their cd, the illegal downloading of albums effects everything from tour support to album budgets. It goes way deeper than what you see on te surface through social media.

Not just metal, it's any art that's not exposed at a mainstream level. I mean, if he wants to work at a music store he can, but clearly that is not fulfilling, and money is not more fulfilling than writing, and sharing his music all over the world, I would assume.

They all say they make no money, and to an extent I believe it, I don't make much money either so let's all just deal with it and realize experience and memories can't be bought later on in life, but money can always be obtained. In this regard, Browne is much richer than myself or others.

I'll be sure to leave a healthy tip for them at the show, and prob not buy a shirt instead so that they can make 100% profit and still have the merch to sell. That's really all I can do, beside listening to the music with endless devotion, following the band at every step, and going to every show that comes through my area.

But hey, they can always get day jobs and just dream about touring. I'm just sick of hearing it, from every band, like it's exclusive to this generation only. Social media doesn't help either when certain musicians complain about money and then post pictures of their porsches, nice houses/apartments in high rent areas, and endless guitars and gears(shelves of pedals and effects, oh my!), and always wear such nice clothes. It's easy to be broke when you live "rich" but actually aren't. I'm not saying Browne represents this, but there are others that do and they leave a bad taste in your mouth when you continually hear it, even from legit sources such as Browne.

At least they are UK based, so most of them have publicly funded healthcare. Try that in the U.S. you will be paying monthly for a plan just to be legally covered but it will provide no care at all. It's always worse being poor and broke without even having access to health care. Maybe Chris is unfortunately having to deal with just that situation. Especially as a vocalist, your health is important while touring and performing.

Leberbs

Reaction score
They all say they make no money, and to an extent I believe it.

I think what most bands mean when they say this is that they don't make enough money to sustain themselves. Sure, they probably make a ton of money for one person. Everything is just stupid expensive when you compare the income to the costs of touring/living.

They're splitting this money between the band, others bands on the bill, and the crew. 5 members in the band plus 3(?) other people to run a show.
Bus and trailer rental isn't cheap.
Diesel for the bus isn't cheap.
Everyone has to eat. PB&J gets old real quick.

Thankfully they have some endorsements.

Yes, bands make money. Just that everything is so damn expensive they can't make a decent living. That's just my thoughts on the "making no money" subject.

aesthyrian

Reaction score
Damn this tour is just bad luck..

Unfortunate news for The Contortionist show tonight. Refunds available, all tickets honored for the reschedule date.

"We feel terrible to have to announce that we are forced to reschedule our show in Chicago tonight. Unfortunately, multiple members have come down with a bad case of food poisoning. It's obviously something that is out of our control, but something that we still want to apologize for, because we know people have spent time and money to share tonight with us. We'll be rescheduling tonight's show for MAY 2, at Subterranean in Chicago. Support acts for this date will be announced at a later date. All tickets will be honored and the show is on sale now. We hope to see you there!" - Michael Lessard/The Contortionist

Well, my night is free now I guess. Sucks too, cause I really wanted to see Entheos and Monuments, more so than The Contortionist which come through the area every other month it seems.

I find it odd that they canceled the whole show, and didn't let the other bands perform? I'm sure this has to do with promoters, bookers, etc, but it would be nice to see the rest of the bill, and get home early, instead of seeing nothing at all. I was going to leave some money for Monuments in their tip jar, and now I can't, or it is at least much harder. This does not help the other bands on the bill. :/

To be blunt, it pisses me off, hurts the other bands who did not make the decision, but did make the choice and effort to travel overseas, and even without a vocalist, continue on. Seems like a selfish decision to cancel it and not let the other working bands, well, work.

This from Monuments' facebook:

"Dominic Marchica How come you guys can't play SubT without the contortionist ?

MONUMENTS We tried."

Entheos has a similar posting. The other bands want to play, hell they may even need to play to make enough $$ to carry on. Bums me out.

You pay monthly for healthcare in the UK too, it's called national insurance and that changes depending on your income level. There is no such thing as free.

All the gear I currently own, I only bought one item, the rest is through endorsements. Everything I bought in the past (when I was able to have a secure full time job) I've sold to pay my rent over the years. I don't even have a license to drive aged 30 as I've never been able to afford it.

All these bands ask is that you buy their cd, the illegal downloading of albums effects everything from tour support to album budgets. It goes way deeper than what you see on te surface through social media.

Hey, thanks for giving insight, even if my tone might have not been the best or most respectful. Apologies for that.

Question about the CD buying. Tonight, I had planned to drop some cash in the tip jar for you dudes(more than a CD would cost). Now, I do not own your album, so would me buying the CD be of more help than simply attending the show and giving you what I feel is the real value of my ticket? Honest question, I'm sure many like myself cannot afford to support every band they love 100%, so I want to make sure I support you as much as possible and I always just assumed that by directly giving you cash(even if it's just silly USD), with the expectation of nothing in return would be a greater help than buying a CD?

I mean, my simple logic is that if I buy your CD, I am giving money to the label, who then hopefully gets some of that to you guys. So I always assumed to just give you the money directly, because then you would profit more? But I can see how that can be short-sighted, as it's not just about $, but the opportunity to make more $ on bigger tours, which requires that damn first week album sales jargon we have all heard. That first week sales thing hurts sales in the long run I feel, as I know I have re-thought about buying an album because it was months after the release and I wasn't sure if it would even benefit the band at that point.

One of you dudes seriously needs to write a book/blog on this. I just want to support these bands as much as I can, with what little I have, and it's getting way to complicated to find out how to do it best. If buying a CD is really the most important, then I will make that change, but unfortunately it will result in me seeing less shows, and buying less merch at said shows. Will the CD sales offset this?

Arkeion

Reaction score
Can anyone confirm what tuning this is in? I'm sitting at work and I can't jam around, but is this Browne's usual tuning? It sounds a little different to my ears, but I could be flat out wrong.

After playing with an online tuner over the vid, it actually sounds like Ab, F, Bb, Eb, F, Bb, Eb. Might've just answered my own question.

Arkeion

Reaction score
Wrong. Just got confirmation from the man himself. Previous video is Bb, F, Bb, Eb, F, Bb, Eb.

anomynous

Reaction score

coreysMonster

Abrakadabro
Reaction score
A day before the show in Houston, pretty pissed to find out just now that they cancelled the show days before I bought tickets, yet were still listed on the ticket websites - which, of course, won't issue a refund if an "opening band" drops out.

Really, really uncool. I'm out 40 bucks, unless I can find somebody from Houston that wants to buy them off me in the next 24 hours.

EDIT: After further research it seems that the venue is responsible; all the other shows have been updated, and Monuments taken off the list, except for the one in Houston. Just my luck!

Latest posts

')