Monuments on hiatus

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Contributor
Reaction score
Never heard this band but it's a bummer to hear when any musician has a condition that stops them from being able to do what they love. :(

Asdrael

Green and Blue stuff.
Reaction score
Damn. All the best Browne, come back stronger.

(I got a man crush on that riff machine <3)

Ordacleaphobia

Shameless Contrarian
Reaction score
This band continues to not be able to catch a break.
Hope indefinite wraps up sooner rather than later.

Werecow

Reaction score
I often feel sorry for him, just seeing the positions he has to hold his body in. Conditions that cause constant pain fucking suck.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Damn, I didn't know he had a condition. Hope for the best for him, I don't know how it goes with that condition 😬

crushingpetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I forget John's name on here, but yes, hope for the best recovery possible.

I have zero experience with his new online guitar academy, Modern Metal Academy, so this isn't a recommendation, but you chould check it out if you want to support him.

JDB123

Newb Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I hope Browne can get the healthcare he needs. Dude has a wicked right hand, love hearing the kind of riffs he comes up with.

Emperor Guillotine

The Almighty Ruler
Reaction score
Never heard this band but it's a bummer to hear when any musician has a condition that stops them from being able to do what they love. :(
Monuments was one of the original "djent" bands in the early days of the sound (early 2010s). And Browne was active here on the Sevenstring forum during the peak era of the forum before Monuments really took off. He has the best picking hand in the biz, period.

Browne has looked more and more rigid the last few times I have seen him.
Same, man. Just from watching Browne's latest YouTube content, and especially his latest shot content for his Modern Metal Academy site, he has been totally hunched over and looked physically locked-up. I thought it was just from years of bad posture while playing, and also from trying to slam his face into the floor onstage while playing. I didn't know that he had ankylosing spondylitis (in addition to having psoriasis, which also causes arthritis).

I often feel sorry for him, just seeing the positions he has to hold his body in. Conditions that cause constant pain fucking suck.
The best soldiers (or players in this case) always seem to have the toughest challenges to hurdle over. Jason Becker, Christian Muenzner, Django Reinhardt, John Browne, and more...

I forget John's name on here, but yes, hope for the best recovery possible.

I have zero experience with his new online guitar academy, Modern Metal Academy, so this isn't a recommendation, but you chould check it out if you want to support him.
@John_Strychnine is his username.

Agreed on members checking out Modern Metal Academy to show support. I joined MMA briefly for a month or two to check it out immediately upon launch, and it kicked me right back into playing guitar.

Modern Metal Academy is pricey though at $40 per month; and the content is still being developed and added. The pathways (courses) are very, very slow-moving, expecting students to really hone in and practice because most of the exercises and lessons are comprised of just solely learning Monuments riffs or Flux Conduct riffs verbatim. And we all know that since this is Browne's material, the riffs are finger-twisting and punishing on your picking hand. Even the "beginner" level pathway is tricky before you climb up into the really difficult material.

Obviously, the goal is to be able to play and dissect the riffs/sections, but then you have to submit a video of you playing the riffs/sections for feedback (so that you can appropriately revise and try again to get it 100%) before you're allowed to proceed or gain some kind of certificate of completion.

It's good for instructors to expect so much practice, and ultimately perfection, out of students; but again, it just seems super slow-moving and drawn-out to really keep students around as long as possible for more subscription income. That's the business though.

Last edited:

gh0styboi

Everybody Poops
Reaction score
Just saw this on Insta as well. Really sucks, and I hope he makes a strong recovery. He's such a beast of a play and a hell of a nice guy. Hate to see someone unable to do what they love - especially such a decent dude.

RevDrucifer

Reaction score
That’s a bummer, for sure. I really only know his playing from YouTube vids but always dug whatever he was doing and generally the tones as well. Best of luck to the dude.

This is the same thing Mick Mars has been dealing with.

gunch

digidun digidun wakka wakka skree
Reaction score
It feels really rude to bring it up in this thread specifically but the curiosity is killing me, what happened between him and Levi that he split off from Riffhard?

soul_lip_mike

Contributor
Reaction score
It feels really rude to bring it up in this thread specifically but the curiosity is killing me, what happened between him and Levi that he split off from Riffhard?
I feel like I saw someone say somewhere Levi is kind of a douche. But I could be confusing him with someone else.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
I was gonna come in and post the "oh no anyway" meme because I never got into these guys, but it really sucks that it's because of a medical condition.

')