Moore radar

• Thread starter Beagledad70
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Beagledad70

Reaction score
has anyone used the Moore radar? How would it sound going from my guitar>>>Moore radar>>pod 2.0. ? How would it sound? Would it Drastically improve my sounds?

Shask

Reaction score
The Mooer Radar is an all-in-one EQ, Poweramp simulator, and IR Cabinet Response loader. The purpose of it is to basically be able to run a preamp into headphones or studio monitors. It will be the last pedal in your chain before the speakers.

It is a cool pedal, and is versatile for what it does, and its size. Your main distortion tone will come from what you run into it (whatever preamp you use), but the Radar is a final sound shaper to simulate what a larger amp and cab would do.

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
It’s easiest to think of how a real guitar amp works first, and compare it. The amp head contains the preamp (distortion and eq), and power amp (makes it loud, master volume and depth/presence controls), cabinet is just a box with speakers in.

Your pod 2.0 is a good serviceable preamp, but it doesn’t simulate the power amp, and the cab simulations are not very good (good cab sim takes a lot of processing power and that hasn’t been available cheaply until recently).

The Radar does power amp sim, and cab sim (cab sim in the form of impulses, comes with some stock, or you can load your own).

Then you just need to plug it into studio monitors or a powered speaker, and you’ve got the full signal chain.

Guitar > (boost pedal if nessessary) > Pod > Radar > studio monitor.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Shask

Reaction score
It’s easiest to think of how a real guitar amp works first, and compare it. The amp head contains the preamp (distortion and eq), and power amp (makes it loud, master volume and depth/presence controls), cabinet is just a box with speakers in.

Your pod 2.0 is a good serviceable preamp, but it doesn’t simulate the power amp, and the cab simulations are not very good (good cab sim takes a lot of processing power and that hasn’t been available cheaply until recently).

The Radar does power amp sim, and cab sim (cab sim in the form of impulses, comes with some stock, or you can load your own).

Then you just need to plug it into studio monitors or a powered speaker, and you’ve got the full signal chain.

Guitar > (boost pedal if nessessary) > Pod > Radar > studio monitor.
The Radar also has a nice EQ as well. It can be Graphic or Parametric. Saved per preset.

ATRguitar91

Reaction score
Sorry to hijack this thread, but can you use only the power amp sims on the Radar? Or just the EQ's?

I use preamp pedals into a Rocktron Velocity most of the time, and was wondering if using a power amp sim in between the preamp and Rocktron would maybe give it a little more life? If not, the EQ would be useful in place of something like a Depth Finder, and I would still have the versatility of the Radar as needed.

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
The big killer feature in the radar is the IR loader (cabinet Sim). I wouldn't bother with it if you don't want that.

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Looks like all three parts (power amp sim, eq, and cab sim) can all be on or off individually, when I watched Ola’s video on it.

If you want power amp sim there are only a few units I know of that do it and the Radar is the smallest/cheapest.

Torpedo CAB and the Atomic units also do it.

ATRguitar91

Reaction score
The big killer feature in the radar is the IR loader (cabinet Sim). I wouldn't bother with it if you don't want that.
I definitely would plan to use the IR loader, mostly for headphone practicing, just trying to envision more ways it could be useful to me aside from that.

Looks like all three parts (power amp sim, eq, and cab sim) can all be on or off individually, when I watched Ola’s video on it.

If you want power amp sim there are only a few units I know of that do it and the Radar is the smallest/cheapest.

Torpedo CAB and the Atomic units also do it.
I think my main concern is if the power amp sims into a power amp would sound bad or super veiled.

I know using cab sims on a real cab sounds awful, so I'm not sure a power amp sim into a power amp would give the same result. The Rocktron is a pretty blank stare in terms of tone, so adding a little simulated tube warmth would help a lot I think.

Shask

Reaction score
Sorry to hijack this thread, but can you use only the power amp sims on the Radar? Or just the EQ's?

I use preamp pedals into a Rocktron Velocity most of the time, and was wondering if using a power amp sim in between the preamp and Rocktron would maybe give it a little more life? If not, the EQ would be useful in place of something like a Depth Finder, and I would still have the versatility of the Radar as needed.
Yes, you can use the EQ, Poweramp sim, or IR Cab parts independently, saved per preset. There are about 32(?) presets.

I bought a Radar for that reason. It is a versatile little unit you can use for those 3 things. Actually, most of the time I use it, I bypass the cab IR, and use the Poweramp sim and EQ with a Mooer Preamp pedal.

Shask

Reaction score
What do you run this setup into when using the power amp sim and EQ only?
I have multiple setups, so I just kind of jump around from day to day.

However, I have mostly messed with this into a Matrix GT1000FX, and GFlex 212 cab. (through a bypassed Axe-FX cause I dont want to unplug wires). I have messed with it into Studio Monitors also using the cab sims. I think the Radar definitely adds something the Preamp pedals are missing on their own (005, 001, 011, etc....). I am not sure if the poweramp sims are "realistic" as they kind of seem like extreme EQ curves, but they do seem to do something that makes the preamps sound flat after you turn it off. They are drastic enough you need to change your settings on your preamp.

Latest posts