Morbid Angel: New lineup, new tour, new album

• Thread starter HeHasTheJazzHands
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

watson503

Los Cochinos
Reaction score
Was wondering about the setlist for these shows and just read this:
"The setlist for MORBID ANGEL's upcoming tour will not include any material from the David Vincent era of the band, it has been revealed. Speaking to Orlando Weekly, MORBID ANGEL's current frontman, Steve Tucker, who is back for his third spell with the group, was asked if the trek — which kicks off on May 23 in Orlando, Florida — will see the band performing any songs from its recently completed new studio album. "Probably one or two new songs; the album's almost done, but we don't want to put out too much with YouTube putting it up the next day," Tucker explained. "The setlist will be different, too — in the past, we've covered all of MORBID ANGEL's discography, but this time we went with the discography between Trey [Azagthoth, guitar] and I. I'm really excited about the fact that every song we play is a song I was a part of. There are some MORBID ANGEL classics that aren't there, but we made our own classics."
http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/mo...al-says-steve-tucker.html#stHf8aAxBOCI5XFD.99

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Scud7011

Reaction score
I would assume that they're only doing that for this first round of touring as a way to promote the Tucker-era stuff.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
There are some MORBID ANGEL classics that aren't there, but we made our own classics.

You mean classics of two of the bands defining albums, Covenant and Domination? Yeah, I'd say those are some pretty big loses.

Since I haven't actually bought my ticket for tomorrow (planned on buying at the door), this is pretty much a pass for me. Altars - Domination will always be the key M.A. for me, so not seeing that is useless.

Viginez

Reaction score
thats weird
nothing beats old school ma

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Jeez, they really ARE not playing anything from the Vincent era.

1. Summoning Redemption
    Play Video
  2. Bil Ur-Sag
    Play Video
  3. I
    Play Video

4. Warped
    (Live debut)
    Play Video
  5. Nothing Is Not
    Play Video
  6. To the Victor the Spoils
    Play Video
  7. Cleansed in Pestilence (Blade of Elohim)
    Play Video
  8. Prayer of Hatred
    Play Video
  9. Covenant of Death
    Play Video
  10. Praise the Strength
    Play Video

11. Encore:
  12. He Who Sleeps
    Play Video
  13. Ageless, Still I Am
    Play Video
  14. Umulamahri
They're even playing 2 songs from fucking Heretic. :ugh:

I mean, Formulas and Gateways are fucking phenomenal albums :)rofl: at Heretic), but still... why ignore anything from the Vincent era period? Thats your guys' legacies. Just fucking dump Illuid.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Jeez, they really ARE not playing anything from the Vincent era.

1. Summoning Redemption
    Play Video
  2. Bil Ur-Sag
    Play Video
  3. I
    Play Video

4. Warped
    (Live debut)
    Play Video
  5. Nothing Is Not
    Play Video
  6. To the Victor the Spoils
    Play Video
  7. Cleansed in Pestilence (Blade of Elohim)
    Play Video
  8. Prayer of Hatred
    Play Video
  9. Covenant of Death
    Play Video
  10. Praise the Strength
    Play Video

11. Encore:
  12. He Who Sleeps
    Play Video
  13. Ageless, Still I Am
    Play Video
  14. Umulamahri
They're even playing 2 songs from fucking Heretic. :ugh:

I mean, Formulas and Gateways are fucking phenomenal albums :)rofl: at Heretic), but still... why ignore anything from the Vincent era period? Thats your guys' legacies. Just fucking dump Illuid.

I bet Vincent touring with some of the other ex-members as I AM MORBID has something to do with it. They probably snagged the rights to them first as to solidify 'we're the ones with the good tunes'

Scud7011

Reaction score
I bet Vincent touring with some of the other ex-members as I AM MORBID has something to do with it. They probably snagged the rights to them first as to solidify 'we're the ones with the good tunes'
I really doubt that. As far as I can remember, Vincent wrote very little of Morbid's stuff beyond the lyrics. I don't think that would entitle him to the performance rights, as they probably remained with whoever maintains the Morbid Angel name.

fps

Kit
Reaction score
Heretic's an awesome album. It's just a shame that apart from the guitars everything else lacks punch and power in the production. The songs are brilliant.

sirbuh

Reaction score
Heretic's an awesome album. It's just a shame that apart from the guitars everything else lacks punch and power in the production. The songs are brilliant.

+1

I get why Trey would want to create some distance from David's great mortgage payment extravaganza tour, but hope to see the back catalog creep back in over time.
Nonetheless, excited to see MA back on the road.

Viginez

Reaction score
the new MA drummer kills it btw. much better than the last one.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Scott Fuller is great, but Tim Yeung is certainly no slouch...

Yeah, Tim is really fucking good. Which is why I'm extremely impressed with the new guy. :D

I really do hope MA adds more older material to their catalog, though. Even though Tucker didn't sing on any of that, Trey still wrote the music. It's HIS material. I'm hoping it's just a case of them going "Hey, this guy's back, and let us remind you how badass he used to be in MA."

KnightBrolaire

Meth Detal
Reaction score
As much as I like Morbid Angel, seeing them AND Revocation together is going to make me so happy. Suffocation is meh unless they play their old stuff and stay away from their newer material. Kinda sad MA isn't playing where the slime lives, that song is dope. Illud is an alright album, I kind of like the symphonic elements.

Scud7011

Reaction score
Suffocation killed it last night. Frank came out midway through the first song and performed the entire set with the exception of one song off the upcoming album.

As for Morbid Angel, their set was more lively than I though it'd be. I watched some videos of their shows in Florida and Atlanta and the crowds looked kinda dead. That wasn't the case in NY at all, though. You can say what you want about them only focusing on Tucker-era material, but they put on a hell of a show.

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
Steve is my buddy and old drummer's brother. He's actually doing all the lighting or MA's set on this tour, and everything for the foreseeable future. Just a shame I'm overseas, so I'm not home to see it.

Reactions: fps

Semi-pro

Reaction score
Aren't they consciously creating a market for I Am Morbid for not playing anything from Vincent's era? Tucker is badass, I'd much rather see him playing Domination with Trey than Dave play the song with a bunch of hired guns...

Aside from Illud, I love everything MA has done. Even a bunch of songs off the Heretic...

dimebagfan01

Crunch Berry
Reaction score
I've always been a bigger fan of the Tucker-era MA output than anything they did with Vincent, so I'm pretty stoked to see him back in the band. The new song sounds absolutely killer and while I don't think they should have taken every Vincent-era song out of the set, I'm actually mad that I missed this tour because they were playing some of my favorite tracks from Formulas and Gateway. I'm definitely excited to hear the new record (whenever it actually comes out).

Reactions: fps

Latest posts

')