More hum than my humbuckers can handle!

• Thread starter tpl2000
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

tpl2000

Uhn Tiss Uhn Tiss.
Reaction score
Hullo, all!

So, I've been getting some hum in the background of any high gain distortion setting I have been using. Let me run down the list so far, of things I've tested...

Multiple guitars
All of my cables
Multiple individual pedals

Multiple power adapters for these pedals
Both a vox mini5 amp (battery powered and wall powered, not simultaneously)
Line 6 POD HD500x, both through the amplifier and through headphones.
multiple different wall outlets.

I have noted that the hum is cancelled out whenever I am touching anything metallic in the line of electronics. This includes...

Metallic parts on the POD, non-jack metallic parts on the cables, metallic parts on the guitars...

So, in short--what do you think the cause oof the hum is? I've tested it out, and it shouldn't be the guitars, as they've all been wired correctly. Is it possile my apartment just has a bad ground somewhere?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

tedtan

Reaction score
If it stops when you touch metal, it is a grounding issue. It's probably old wiring in your house/apartment, but it could be a ground loop caused by plugging into more than one power outlet (though I wouldn't think this would stop by touching the guitar - this usually only stops by removing the ground) or similar. If you can, try plugging all your gear in (into the same outlet) at a fiend or relative's house and see if you still get the hum.

tpl2000

Uhn Tiss Uhn Tiss.
Reaction score
If it stops when you touch metal, it is a grounding issue. It's probably old wiring in your house/apartment, but it could be a ground loop caused by plugging into more than one power outlet (though I wouldn't think this would stop by touching the guitar - this usually only stops by removing the ground) or similar. If you can, try plugging all your gear in (into the same outlet) at a fiend or relative's house and see if you still get the hum.

Yes, I'll go to my Best Fiend's house ;)

I'll have to think about a place to go for itbut it's a good suggestion. On the same outlet theory, I can say that I have tested this out with the power strip I have available, as well as without. Still get the hum.

UV7BK4LIFE

Schecter A7 addict
Reaction score
Did you switch from active to passive pickups recently? Just checking...

One of the power adapters may be noisy. These universal things like 1-Spot adapters are not always great. Adapters in multiple outlets can also cause this.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
If it happened even with the battery powered amp, then it's not an issue with the power in your home. Sounds like a grounding issue in your guitar(s) or cables. Open up your guitars and cables and make sure all of the connections are solid. Try out your rig with your friend's guitar, then try your guitar through his equipment to try to find the culprit or culprits with "known good" gear to swap in and out.

If you switched from active to passive and didn't ground the bridges in your guitars, then you'll have a constant hum. I also had a problem with an output jack on one of my guitars breaking, which gave me hum even though the solder connection was good.

')