More Mastodon Trouble?

• Thread starter ittoa666
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

drmosh

Sir Paul of the Mosh
Contributor
Reaction score
A lot of Mastodon'S guitar stuff is actually written by Brann Dailor, the whole band is way more of a collaborative effort than people here are saying. And the idea of "Crack The Skye" being Brent Hinds record is incorrect considering the well documented subject matter.

Well documented that you are wrong, that is :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

cyril v

Contributor
Reaction score
A lot of Mastodon'S guitar stuff is actually written by Brann Dailor, the whole band is way more of a collaborative effort than people here are saying. And the idea of "Crack The Skye" being Brent Hinds record is incorrect considering the well documented subject matter.

If Hind's leaves then yes it will change the band but not kill it.

Thats not quite right at all from what I've read... I'd tend to take an interview/words directly from the band; over what you're saying, no offense. :lol:

Brann Dailor wrote all of the lyrics for Crack The Skye... Brent Hinds pretty much wrote the entire album himself music-wise though, and to paraphrase what Bill said in the same interview, he likened it to when Roger Waters decided his vision of Pink Floyd was the direction for the band, and that as bandmates when brilliance is flowing, you just go along and ride the waves of awesome. I don't remember exactly how he said it, but thats the gist of it. I don't think he meant that he is always going to be the primary song writer from then on... just that if it's going so damn well then theres no reason to get in the way. :spock:

RevDrucifer

Reaction score
Brent was talking about while he was in coma, (in 'a coma'?) he was "totally astrally projecting"....which played a major part of the storyline....

When I first heard 'Crack The Skye', it had been the first album to really hit me in a few years...

I don't know who wrote all the lyrics or whatnot, but I'd definitely call Brent the mastermind of the album. His riffs are all over it...

Saw them at the Boston HOB a few months ago and while they seemed dull onstage, the music was killer....met Brann after and he was absolutely beat. Not even sure why he was standing there answering questions, he looked/spoke like he was ready to crash. Some kids were asking questions like, "How did you guys make it?"....all I wanted to do was thank him for his perseverence/music....when the kids left I did exactly so and he quickly turned around and left...

Hopefully these actions are a result of people under pressure and learning how to deal with it, even moreso, hopefully they can learn to deal with it.

I dug some stuff from previous albums, but Crack The Skye really made me believe they'd be a band I'll be listening to as long as they're around....let's hope they keep it together.

ridner

Bastard of Thousands
Reaction score
seeing far too many of these type of reports about Brent lately. thankfully every show I have attended they have been stellar. I'd be pissed if I went to see any show and the band acted this way. very unprofessional!

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Seriously, I thought it ended quickly/was going to be a lot shorter than it was, but as I kept reading after posting my first thought was "Fuck, they are going to HATE me for this big thing"

Wasn't even that much of an album review either :lol:

EliNoPants

Reaction score
the show they played here sunday night was the tightest set i've seen them play ever, out of a good half dozen or more, three of them since Crack the Skye came out, and Brent seemed really chill and cool at the bar after the show...last time they came through, Brann actually ended up at the same bar i was at too, he was extremely nice and relaxed

Warchest1

Reaction score
I agree that there would be no Mastodon without him. But who does he think he is though, Dave Mustaine?

NickDowe

Last Red Ember
Reaction score
I didn't read through every post but if it wasn't already said... he pulled this same shit in NJ last month... He stopped the set 3 times to yell at the sound guy for "too much subs in the monitors" and then once for his guitar tech for handing him a guitar that wasn't in tune.

elrrek

Contributor
Reaction score
Well documented that you are wrong, that is :)

Yeah, if you read Mastondon's bio on their site it says "Crack The Skye" is guitar heavy from Brent, lyrics/concept heavy from Brann. Agreed.

The rest of Mastodon's material is more collaborative and Brann Dailer writes guitar riffs as well. Where did I read this? Can't remember, could have been a mag, could have been the internet, don't care.

I still don't think you can call "Crack The Skye" Hind's record, but then seeing as this is a guitar forum perhaps the feeling is that it's the guitars that are most important and not the music as a whole? :scratch:

Anyway, here's hoping that Hind's sorts himself out and there is no need to fret about him leaving and the band imploding, it would be a loss.

Jango

Reaction score
Mastodon were exquisite when I saw them on the 18th; no problems at all, it seemed. They played for an hour and a half, i'll post all the songs later if anyone really wants to know. I actually got Brent's setlist after they were done playing.
BTBAM were flawless, Baroness were surprisingly good, and Valient Thor were just awesome.

')