Mosh pits

Shannon

Lord Super Awesome
Contributor
Reaction score
Of the pits I was ACTUALLY in, these were intense.

Anthrax / Public Enemy / Primus '91 - Bring The Noise Tour
Metallica Tour '92 - 3:15 of Metallica, no supporting act.
Rage Against The Machine / Quicksand / Standford Prison Experiment '92 - RATM was unreal!
White Zombie / Melvins '94 - Astrocreep 2000 Tour
Cannibal Corpse '96 - Vile Tour

After that, I decided to be a spectator rather than a participant. As high as ticket prices are now, I actually want to SEE the show. Plus, pits in the last 10 years have gone from good friendly violent FUN to a straight up ass-kicking fest. I thank the hardcore music fans for that. Old school metal pits were much better. True.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jacksonplayer

The Fusion Guy!
Contributor
Reaction score
lillith fair was pretty insane

:lol: You'd better be damn careful when you get those folkie chicks angry...

Plus, pits in the last 10 years have gone from good friendly violent FUN to a straight up ass-kicking fest. I thank the hardcore music fans for that. Old school metal pits were much better. True.

:agreed:

Last time I was in a pit, George Bush Sr. was in the White House. It was cool, because the point wasn't to hurt anyone, but to feel the exhilaration of bouncing off each other out of control. I do my best to avoid the pit now, since it always seems to be a bunch of muscleheads out to "prove something."

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
After that, I decided to be a spectator rather than a participant. As high as ticket prices are now, I actually want to SEE the show. Plus, pits in the last 10 years have gone from good friendly violent FUN to a straight up ass-kicking fest. I thank the hardcore music fans for that. Old school metal pits were much better. True.

Last time I was in a pit, George Bush Sr. was in the White House. It was cool, because the point wasn't to hurt anyone, but to feel the exhilaration of bouncing off each other out of control. I do my best to avoid the pit now, since it always seems to be a bunch of muscleheads out to "prove something."

:agreed:

Moshing is a lost art. I was at a small, local punk show this weekend, and that is the last places real pits exist. Just a bunch of guys getting drunk and acting goofy, bouncing around into each other and falling all over the place. I came home bruised and laughing my ass off.

I blame Phil Anselmo for a lot of this shit, too. That dumb bastard kept asking for that out of the fans, and he got it. Now I can't go anywhere without running into the asshole in the Pantera shirt.

Shannon

Lord Super Awesome
Contributor
Reaction score
I do my best to avoid the pit now, since it always seems to be a bunch of muscleheads out to "prove something."
...and don't forget about the hardcore fanboys who are bouncing off the walls with their 360 roundhouse karate kicks. :rolleyes:

Pits were there to have a good time with friends and fellow metal heads. It was never suppose to be the place to practice your latest Bruce Lee and UFC moves.

Old School for the win! Where's my Anthrax CD? :lol:

skinhead

Manager / RHLC ©
Reaction score
With Horcas (Argentinian metal band), it was a really extreme mosh, i remember that Walter said "Kids, don't get hurt", and when the song started "Mortal Mosh pit!!!!!", that was awsome :hbang:

In Fear Factory i wasn't on the mosh pit, i was sitting on a corner (i didn't get the field ticket :wallbash:).

With Arch Enemy was masive too, they entered with Nemesis, but shit i almost die there, i was stoned and the crowd was crazy!

And BTW, i like HxC mosh pits :yesway:

Universe74

Reaction score
At one of the Strapping shows I was at in Vancouver there was a guy being a dick smashing into people. Well the biggest dude in the pit stuck out his arm and absolutley destroyed this guy. His buddies had to basically drag him out. Everyone was clapping/cheering.

Nats

Reaction score
:lol: You'd better be damn careful when you get those folkie chicks angry...

getting a Birkenstock to the forehead is no joke. i didn't think they could roundhouse kick with thier stubby legs and all

skinhead

Manager / RHLC ©
Reaction score
At one of the Strapping shows I was at in Vancouver there was a guy being a dick smashing into people. Well the biggest dude in the pit stuck out his arm and absolutley destroyed this guy. His buddies had to basically drag him out. Everyone was clapping/cheering.

The same ocurred here, a guy that was drunk started to smash people that was on the front, and i stopped him with a kick in his stomach, that was so funny :lol:

7 Strings of Hate

Mid-Level Asshole
Contributor
Reaction score
pantera - reinventing the steel tour, it was brutal, i'v done the pit at litteraly hundreds of shows, pantera's was the meanist ive experienced, i'd say an big honorable mention to slayer and slipknot as well,

MerlinTKD

EIght.Fold.Path / Hinge Theory
Contributor
Reaction score
Not been IN the pit yet... I usually get drafted into picking folks up so they can crowd surf! Can't find anyone interested in letting ME surf yet... :lol:

Every Sevendust show though, there's a good pit, and 7D fans seem to know... the band encourages mosh, but always with a caution... "let's have fun, not hurt each other... if you knock somebody down, pick 'em up!"

Rusty_cooley702

Reaction score
ive seen youtube vids of the pits at lamb of god the do this wall of death thing it looks awesome too bad im not gonna be able to go to the show when it comes to las vegas

')