Most agressive sounding OD pedal for metal?

• Thread starter Stijnson
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Stijnson

Reaction score
I'm wondering what you guys might think is the most agressive sounding OD pedal to run in front of a high gain amp?
Im currently using a Bad Monkey, my amp is a Laney IRT Studio, so it has a slight 'british' character. The tone sounds good but I would really like to get even more agression out of my tone. So more pick attack, more tightness and an agressive angry tone.

Ofcourse the maxon Od808 is a classic, but I read that the OD 808X is even more agressive sounding. Ofcourse Bulb is also very good advertising his pedals as an agressive OD, especially with the attack switch.

Any other pedals I should look into? Or should I invest in an EQ pedal in the loop?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Lifestalker

Reaction score
Seymour Duncan 805 is KILLER! I also recommend the Green Rhino.

I currently have a ProTone Bulb OD with no plans of changing it. If I do, I'll purchase an SD 805 very quickly.

Devyn Eclipse Nav

Avid Open C Enthusiast, Aspiring Ghibli Wizard
Reaction score
The Reaper Pandemonium sounds pretty crazy, it's definitely something I want to get my hands on one day.

wakjob

Reaction score
Boss SD-1.

Why? I'll tell you.

The clipping is asymmetrical, which means it's less smooth and more gritty & textured.

And even when the gain control is at zero, there's still a bit of clipping coming through.
There's no way a stock SD-1 can do a completely distortion-free clean boost.

This makes the SD-1 a nasty sounding OD to boost the front of an already overdriven amp with.

Shask

Reaction score
SD-1, Green Rhino for OD's....

Of course, the most aggressive are distortion pedals.... the most aggressive boost I have used is the Metal Zone....

Reaction score
I tried an Arteffect Zenith once some years ago. Pretty fuckin mean. :hbang:

Fretless

Knob Fiddler
Reaction score
My protodrive from airis effects is pretty crazy, and rick has a more brutal version that he makes as well.

Bearitone

Reaction score
personally i think the OCD is the best if you want to get crazy aggressive

Stijnson

Reaction score
Some good recomendations there guys. Although I think a MetalZone might be overkill :lol:

But Misha's new video demo of the attack OD seems to do what I want pretty well. I'm just not really into buying signature model gear usually, maybe I'll just have to overcome that...

Abaddon9112

Reaction score
I think the stock Metal Zone used as an OD is hands-down the most aggressive sound any boost can generate. It's like taking your amp and adding some of that oldschool thrashy vibe the MT-2 has to it, only much better and beefier than the pedal on it's own. But it's an unusual tone that probably wouldn't work great in every context.

The SD-1 is a little closer to a standard OD but has this bite and grind to it that Tubescreamers lack. Definitely can't hurt having one of those in your arsenal.

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
It's great to have a few boost options for various guitar/pickup and amp/cab combinations.
The best one is the one that sounds best with whatever combination of gear you're running ATM.

Shimme

Wants a Seven String
Reaction score
I'm using a modded SD-1 and it's mean as FVCK. There are tons of great OD's out there, but SDs are some of the nastiest.

Never tried the metal one as a boost though, doesnt cannibal corpse use them with rectos?

Green Rhino's are really cool, I don't know if they're super aggressive though... Nice pedals though.

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
I like my SD 805 overdrive for boosting the mids, taming the highs, and retaining the bass as a boost.

I use my DOD FX70C Corrosion for molten, aggressive, corrosive, abrasive, industrial noisy sounds.

Any boost you use will still retain some of the Laney head's character though.

KailM

Reaction score
Boss SD-1.

Why? I'll tell you.

The clipping is asymmetrical, which means it's less smooth and more gritty & textured.

And even when the gain control is at zero, there's still a bit of clipping coming through.
There's no way a stock SD-1 can do a completely distortion-free clean boost.

This makes the SD-1 a nasty sounding OD to boost the front of an already overdriven amp with.

To add to that, the Mxr M77 is basically an sd-1 clone with less noise and greater versatility. It has a 100Hz knob and a "bump" switch that reconfigures the eq to more of a bass and mids curve. Same asymmetrical clipping as an sd-1 though, which comes across as a little more "grindy" and aggressive than a tubescreamer. I have one of them and use it more often than my Ts-9. There's not a huge difference, but it's noticeable.

SqWark

Reaction score
SD-1 into a Marshall has been responsible for some iconic guitar tones over the years.

')