Most agressive sounding OD pedal for metal?

• Thread starter Stijnson
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

PF Chang

Reaction score
To add to that, the Mxr M77 is basically an sd-1 clone with less noise and greater versatility. It has a 100Hz knob and a "bump" switch that reconfigures the eq to more of a bass and mids curve. Same asymmetrical clipping as an sd-1 though, which comes across as a little more "grindy" and aggressive than a tubescreamer. I have one of them and use it more often than my Ts-9. There's not a huge difference, but it's noticeable.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Carl Kolchak

Last of the famous international playboys
Reaction score
Boss SD-1.

Why? I'll tell you.

The clipping is asymmetrical, which means it's less smooth and more gritty & textured.

And even when the gain control is at zero, there's still a bit of clipping coming through.
There's no way a stock SD-1 can do a completely distortion-free clean boost.

This makes the SD-1 a nasty sounding OD to boost the front of an already overdriven amp with.

It's a good pedal for taming flubby low ends, but can also sound kind of "icepicky" too.

MikeSweeney

Reaction score
Just gonna put this out there Try a green rhino and keep it. that's all your going to need

Reaction score
I use a bad monkey and Although I haven't tried anything else, I love it and it does what I need with my peavey vk100w head and cab.

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
I use a bad monkey and Although I haven't tried anything else, I love it and it does what I need with my peavey vk100w head and cab.

I had the same setup. The Bad Monkey was all I needed as far as heavy distorted rhytm tones go. If that's not enough for you, I'd advise you to pick harder :shred:

ke7mix

Reaction score
The VFE Focus might be exactly what you are looking for, Its A clean boost pedal made to be put in front of a distorted amp. It has 2x the output of a tubescreamer so it hits your amp hard. It has a high and lowpass control so you can dial in how much treble or bass you want coming out of your guitar, effectively making the tone as tight as you want it to be. It sounds great with my IRT60H

Stijnson

Reaction score
The VFE Focus might be exactly what you are looking for, Its A clean boost pedal made to be put in front of a distorted amp. It has 2x the output of a tubescreamer so it hits your amp hard. It has a high and lowpass control so you can dial in how much treble or bass you want coming out of your guitar, effectively making the tone as tight as you want it to be. It sounds great with my IRT60H

The VFE has definitley caught my eye, or ear! The Bad Monkey is a very decent pedal, especially for the price, but I feel that it doesnt push the amp hard enough. Like the level knob should really be able to go 11. Or 15!

But will a powerful clean boost like the VFE also give your tone a touch more agression and grainy-ness as a regular OD does?

Sean Richardson

Onedge Custom
Reaction score
The VFE has definitley caught my eye, or ear! The Bad Monkey is a very decent pedal, especially for the price, but I feel that it doesnt push the amp hard enough. Like the level knob should really be able to go 11. Or 15!

But will a powerful clean boost like the VFE also give your tone a touch more agression and grainy-ness as a regular OD does?

Stijnson... I think your OP got lost in a minor thread drift and that even though you asked for an "aggressive" sounding OD, there were lots of replies about people favourite OD's (which is not the same)

I have over 25 varieties of OD pedals (and some with multiples to cater for various mod...last count on SD-1 for example was 6). I Only use them for High Gain amp boosting NOT the boutique crunch style).

To again reply based on more aggression, consider the SD OD805, the Protone Bulb Attack (or Deluxe) or the Maxon STL9. They are all aggressive...

I would not consider the Focus aggressive (but its a tight "focused" OD), however if your interested in the VFE range, look at the ICE SCREAM Sherbet... that thing is aggressive like an African killer bee!

JeffKill

Reaction score
I agree with others on the SD 805. Picked one last night and I like it more than both the MXR GT-OD and the Green Rhino.

Forrest_H

How can she slap?
Reaction score
If I can make a suggestion:

I know I spam threads with this all of the time, but have you thought about modding your Bad Monkey? It doesn't take a whole lot, just a cheapo soldering iron, a few 25 cent components, and a guide.

I hated the way my Bad Monkey sounded until i opened it up and swapped out some caps, and now I love the damn thing in front of both my Valveking and 5150. It's much more transparent in the middle range, and all around it just sounds better.

warlock7strEMG

Reaction score
If you want an overdrive that tightens and does all the wonderful things that an OD pedal is supposed to do but has a more aggressive tone to it, I would go with either a Maxon OD9. It's like an OD808/TS808 that has been slightly modded to sound meaner with more attack and upper mids and does not cut out as much low end. The OD9 is exactly the same as the old sought after Ibanez TS9.

Another good one is the Krank Krankshaft. It sounds like a OD/TS808 in the sense that it cuts out more low end than the OD9 and has a more even transparent mid boost to it, but it's also much more aggressive than an 808. If I recall correctly, the Krankshaft is the most aggressive OD pedal I have ever used. Can be found for cheap used because not many people know about them and what they actually are. They pop up on guitar centers used gear page all the time.

Stijnson

Reaction score
Stijnson... I think your OP got lost in a minor thread drift and that even though you asked for an "aggressive" sounding OD, there were lots of replies about people favourite OD's (which is not the same)

Haha, I realised that too about 4 posts into the thread. It was just naming random OD pedals basically. :nuts:

But the last 4 posts were very useful indeed! I will definately look into all those pedals. Modding it seems unlikely, I'd most likely screw it up and have to get a new pedal anyway. Besides, GAS has to be taken into account too.

Jeffkill: Is the 805 actually an agressive sounding overdrive or just a very good overdrive? There is unfortunately sometimes a difference.

And luckily Ola Englund realised a nice video with some Maxon OD comparisons, with the OD9 too. although I think the OD808x sounded the most agressive. But I'll do some re-amping! Awesome way to see how it sounds with my amp.

Zsharp

Reaction score
Dude check out the hardcore xxx, I forget the company but it's a black pedal with red writing, great pedal.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
That OD shootout was awesome! You almost never see those in a metal context.

I haven't directly compared my OD808 and OD9 in several months, but that video reminded me exactly why the OD9 ended up in my main rig and the 808 on my "B" board :D it's definitely meaner and has more attack. The 808X seems like a nice middle ground between the 808 and OD9 as far as attack and eq shaping.

PF Chang

Reaction score
So the 9 series is more aggressive in general. The ST-9 Pro+ remains at the top of my list for gear to try.

Shimme

Wants a Seven String
Reaction score
Holy crap that ST9 Pro sounds GREAT. I kindof want one now....

Latest posts

')