Most annoying part of being a musician?

• Thread starter noUser01
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
Set-up and Tear Down.....IEM, Backing Track, Mixer, Processor, Guitar, Drum Triggers out.....30 minutes later...all back in the box. Kinda like a 2 hour drive one way for a 15 minute Dr. appointment...

Cyn__Theia

They freak you out
Reaction score
Doesn't the dislike of poseurs make you an elitist?

Haha, this is the same exact thing that ran through my head when I read this.

I suppose we all have to focus really hard on finding the perfect balance between not being either.

:rolleyes:

:lol:

RustInPeace

Reaction score
Being hired to run FOH for your buddys band... and luck being on my side, show up 12 hours early to find no PA system, which then turns into a 16 hour day scrambling to get a sound system up and running. Also, When your set is finished, get your shit off so the next band can get on! Don't wander into the crowd to polish your ego while your shit is still on and the next band is waiting!

..and then being payed $50 at the end of the night when said friends band takes home $2000 and blows it on booze/drugs.

Cyn__Theia

They freak you out
Reaction score
Dealing with drummers that think they're guitarists.

Or hearing a non-musician's opinion on how "metal is all just shit music."

Or being considered an elitist by non-musicians because you don't like their favorite band (in most cases, you taught them the term "elitist").

Or...getting made fun of for appreciating certain aspects of pop songs or artists (typically by the same people that called you an elitist) because you see the musical insight or composition behind it.

tedtan

Reaction score
^ BouhZik

Perhaps, but in the old days even unsigned bands made a decent middle class living playing at the local bars/clubs/hotels in the evenings and probably supplemented that income by teaching some lessons, too. That way they not only had their instrument in their hands for hours and hours every day, but they developed an intuitive feel for what the other band members would play before they actually played it. This further contributed to musicians developing their own style and personality on their instruments rather than merely copying the latest hot shot player.

These days, most everyone has to work a day job, and that kind of interferes with that degree of familiarity with your instrument and your fellow band members. If people could make a living from their music, the music itself would be better off because of it.

sniperfreak223

B.C. Rich loyalist
Reaction score
For me, it's mostly been working with other musicians, specifically dealing with the inflated egos that seem to come with being a musician.

And trying to explain to non-musicians why I still play if I'm not in a band or if my band is going absolutely nowhere.

BouhZik

Reaction score
^ BouhZik

Perhaps, but in the old days......

Yeah, in the old days.... 2014 now. I still think if you are into music to get money, you are doing it wrong. I mean, in 2014 anyway....

stevexc

Reaction score
Balancing playing, jamming, spending time with the fiancee, and being able to afford to do any of that.

Mike

Reaction score
Gear maintenance, Being happy with my tone one day and not the next, How many non-musical folk think it's a waste of time and don't understand the joy of musical creation. Being questioned about my tastes in what I choose to play.

BucketheadRules

Fuzz pedal hoarder
Reaction score
Knowing that it's ridiculously hard to make any money from it, but knowing you won't be happier trying to make money from anything else.

Dealing with flaky musicians and people who don't give a shit. Once I was in a band of five, and two of us turned up for rehearsal. Several times. Couple of times it was just me, come to think of it. That band isn't a thing any more, in case you were wondering.

Actually, another thing is putting the effort into writing, recording or arranging a song, but knowing full well that if you release it and it gets out there, most people would rather steal it than reward your efforts by paying the price of a can of Coke for it. Soul-destroying.

Aaaand the fact that I spent most of my spare time as a teenager playing guitar instead of having a social life. Obviously I don't regret putting the practice in, in the slightest, but it would probably have been better if I'd put it down for a couple of evenings and attempted to talk to people instead :lol:

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
Personally, the worst part of being a musician is that you (I?) tend to get very little credit for personal accomplishments. I mean that in the sense that if you have a kid (which could very easily be an accident), you're instantly everyone's favorite person, you're considered to be moving up in the world, creating a future, etc., but write record and release an album, and most friends and family have no idea you even did it. Maybe I just need better friends, haha.

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
And trying to explain to non-musicians why I still play if I'm not in a band or if my band is going absolutely nowhere.

Holy shit is this annoying. I swear I've had this conversation with my old man at least once a year for the last 16 years....

"You guys still playing out?"

"Yeah"

"Making any money at it?"

"We make enough that we're not paying for shirts, stickers and gas out of our own pockets anymore, but I'm not really 'making' money."

"Then why waste all that time?"

-here's where I want to say "Because stabbings and strangling deaths in the Madison area would rise exponentially if I didn't!" but I usually just say

"Because I get a kick out of it." Then I give him a hard time about buying guns he only wants to clean and hold on to.

')