Most annoying part of being a musician?

• Thread starter noUser01
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Necris

Bonitis.
Reaction score
^ Not for me. I'll do it, but it's not something I particularly enjoy and certainly not why I decided to learn the instrument.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Enselmis

Reaction score
Huh, fair enough. I love picking up a guitar when people are around. It's fun seeing different peoples faces light up when they hear something they recognize or they think is cool.

tomsargent

Reaction score
The most annoying part of being a musician? Caring about the music during a metal show. I just got back from the Indy stop of the AAL tour. I was completely mesmerized by the 8 finger tapping licks, sweeping, polyrhythms, etc... and I kept having to watch my back for people moshing! I understand it kinda comes with the genre, but I wish the rest of the crowd had been as focused on watching and listening to the music as I was.

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
Huh, fair enough. I love picking up a guitar when people are around. It's fun seeing different peoples faces light up when they hear something they recognize or they think is cool.

Same here. Although, one thing that annoys me is that I don't know many songs that people recognize, and just looping the intro to Stairway to Heaven doesn't quite cut it :D

The most annoying part for me is having to deal with our super-naive keyboard player who keeps saying "Don't worry, we'll be rich and famous soon" :D Because we abso-....ing-lutely won't be, not any time soon anyway. I keep telling him that and he still hasn't figured out that I'm not joking :lol:

Riffer

No Title
Reaction score
Most annoying part for me is dealing with bars/clubs and agencies. Since I'm in a cover band, thats where the big money is. It's a pain to get ahold of people and try and get into better rooms unless you have an entertainment company behind you.

After that is probably just people. For me probably drunk people who want to talk to me about guitars when they know nothing about them but used to play 10 years ago and learned 4 chords and their cousins neighbors uncle has a Les Paul that they think is worth $25,000.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
...something they recognize or they think is cool.

If you think the same songs are cool, sure, it'll be a great experience for everyone involved- but playing an instrument for someone is a matter of the instrumentalist sharing something of themselves, which doesn't always line up with what the listener wants. I'd feel perfectly fine about playing songs I enjoy for people- and I do so fairly regularly, that's what gigs are for- but every time someone asks me to play some mindless drivel off the radio, I'd rather be hit by a bus.

patata

7 heaven
Reaction score
Oh I got one.

People with no real experience with a brand saying they hate it/love it and have a fully formed opinion based on reviews.

And another one

Bedroom players that called themselves ''musicians''.

Kullerbytta

Newborn
Reaction score

mu·si·cian (myo̅o̅-zĭsh′ən)
n.
One who composes, conducts, or performs music, especially instrumental music.
[Middle English musicien, from Old French, from Latin mūsica, music; see music.]
mu·si′cian·ly adj.
mu·si′cian·ship′ n.

I'm not sure what being a musician is if you're contradicting that definition.

I'm pretty much a 'bedroom-player' given the fact that I do silent recording and jam while my daughter is asleep. I've composed at least 15 full songs (horribly mixed though) wherein I've composed all instruments myself. Does this mean I grind your gears for not meeting your requirements of a 'real' musician?

sorry-for-rant.jpg

The Mirror

Reaction score

Pretty interesting since Bulb pretty much started as a "bedroom" player with his Soundclick start years ago.

What about Jerry C? His Canon Rock is somewhat legendary even amongst non-guitarists.

Okay before I digress: I don't really agree...

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
^^ Chimp spanner + Cloudkicker + David Maxim Micic. How dare they call themselves musicians!

patata

7 heaven
Reaction score
What i meant was bedroom players that have an strong(90% false) opinion on musicians salaries and stuff that have to do only with touring musicians.( I have a slight idea because of my dad)

So basically it would be more correct like:
''Bedroom players that act like world touring musicians''

Kullerbytta

Newborn
Reaction score
I have a slight idea because of my dad)

That's kind of the same thing as people being biased about gear they haven't tried, imo. You have an idea because yer dad prolly has experience, and it sounds like you don't.
For instance; if Guthrie Govan, and Guthrie Govan only, came out and said: "Ibanez LZ-pups are the tits, get them. I love 'em" a slew of online lurkers would take his word for it without ever having tried them simply because it was Guthrie Govan who said it.

You're basing your "bedroom players calling themselves musicians, PFFT!" on the same principle: the word from one individual; yer dad. I ain't saying your dad is wrong, alright? I'm saying you're being a bit hypocritical.

Peace, brudda.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
bedroom players that have an strong(90% false) opinion... I have a slight idea because of my dad

These 'bedroom players' get their information anecdotally, through reading forums and articles. You receive your information anecdotally, through your dad. Your opinion is not more or less valid than theirs.

Shimme

Wants a Seven String
Reaction score

If we're going by the "You have to play live to be a "real" musician, then the Beatles weren't real musicians for a significant part of their career.

Also, that would mean Sean Malone isn't a real musician anymore :nono:

Kullerbytta

Newborn
Reaction score
OT:

What I hate about being a musician is that I need a truly strong emotion, or series of emotions, to sit down and record at all. Just playing guitar don't always cut it for me... I want to make new songs. When I can't... I don't play much, and I should play much because... It's my life :lol: besides my waifu and daughter.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
The fact that inspiration only comes around when it feels like it. Sometimes I feel like we don't have a real connection and it's just ....ing me. :(

Latest posts

')