Most annoying part of being a musician?

• Thread starter noUser01
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

noUser01

Still can't play.
Reaction score
Lets all vent just a bit.

We all have things that annoy us when it comes to being a musician. Things we have to do that just suck. Things that make it difficult to do what you love, or maybe things that are hugely beneficial for your band but are really difficult or tedious to do. So tell me, what's your "thing" and why?

Mine is probably booking a tour as an independent band. You can book a bunch of dates but it's so hard to get in contact with all these venues, find bands in the area that are similar style, find venues that are decent, make sure the same staff member(s) you spoke to are going to be there when you actually go on tour 6 months from now, etc. It always works out for the most part, but just such a pain to do.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Primitive Guitarist

Mastering Mastering
Reaction score
People not taking me seriously as a mastering engineer because I am also a musician.

I can understand that with the amount of people out there who slaughter work and think mastering is just a limiter on a master bus :nono:.

That and finding the time to practice.

cwhitey2

BlackendCrust Metal™
Reaction score
Most annoying part?

Trying to find people that aren't flakes to jam with.

And just finding a drummer in general near me.

BouhZik

Reaction score
From my point of view every annoying parts are gone with technologie.

I dont have to find anyone to play with since I can play with myself (in a DAW) without having to deal with (another lol) control freaks.
I dont have to look for a drummer and fighting with him to get what I want since I have drum software that obey to everything I want without bitching for hours.
And for those who wants to share their music: their is internet!!!
If you are not a fame hunter, and you just want to "materialize" what's in your head and have fun, its possible with the 2014 technologie.
Yes I'm just another hobbyist "musician". Wannabe "artist" if you like. Happy with it.

cwhitey2

BlackendCrust Metal™
Reaction score
From my point of view every annoying parts are gone with technologie.

I dont have to find anyone to play with since I can play with myself (in a DAW) without having to deal with (another lol) control freaks.
I dont have to look for a drummer and fighting with him to get what I want since I have drum software that obey to everything I want without bitching for hours.

And for those who wants to share their music: their is internet!!!
If you are not a fame hunter, and you just want to "materialize" what's in your head and have fun, its possible with the 2014 technologie.
Yes I'm just another hobbyist "musician". Wannabe "artist" if you like. Happy with it.

I play with myself all the time :lol:

...but I actually like input from other musicians, especially when its an instrument that i cant play :idea:....im looking at you drum set.

3trv5u

tone whore
Reaction score
That it is ridiculously hard to make decent money out of it

synrgy

Ya ya ya I am Lorde
Reaction score
That the best ideas come to me when I'm nowhere near an instrument or a DAW.

That when I have an instrument or a DAW at my fingertips, my mind goes blank.

patata

7 heaven
Reaction score
oh,forgot.

Trends.

Djent especially..Some years before it was metalcore.
Easy music to digest.1000 bands having the same sound/style.Not cool.

Reaction score
The girlfriends : few are willing to give up the pedestal they constructed on which they stand to music, or even to share it.

Alex Kenivel

Stunt Guitar
Reaction score
People wanting rides to/from shows when I've already tetris-ed my gear to fit two other band mates.

People who come to shows and dont watch the bands. Wtf is the point??

Volume freaks who cause you to turn up way too loud, killing your tone.

Idiots wanting to stand on your amp to put up banners ( I threw a guy down onto a concrete floor after I caught him standing on my amp head and part of my headstock, trying to do this. R.i.p. that guitar )

People who come to shows with Booze but no money for the door.

Mosh pits knocking mic stands into my face, or people falling all over my pedals.

Sitting through traffic after work to pick up my son, fighting traffic on the way back, dropping him off with my parents, rushing back home to pack gear and sit in traffic to a gig, only to have ten people actively watching and Getting paid seven bucks.

The list goes on....

rectifryer

Banned
Reaction score
1000 bands having the same sound/style.Not cool.

I think the word you are looking for is "genre" not "trend". A genre is normally composed of bands sounding alike or having similiar qualities. IF that genre goes popular, then it is a trend. Then the hipsters get to complain about it while ignoring this natural progression. But I digress.

I admit that I am one of those hipsters, but your antagonistic perspective revealed something to me. That is, that bands sounding the same are just trying to be of a specific genre. No more yet no less. Djent has a lot more variability in it than the hardcore scene back in 2002-2008, so I am just thankful hard music is still progressing.

Sure, it's a bit of a bandwagon but we are all apealing to strangers on the internet and that is already creepy as it is. Hopefully we can make "great virtuostic djent prog death metal with actual pitched screams" a trend. I really hope that is where djent is going, because it is boring listening to the same insincere formula over and over again, but I have that problem with most metal genres. I think the dissappointment is only fresh with djent.

I don't think many people are getting laid or rich from djent, so I can't really despise its intentions.

To answer OP: Dealing with local bands that think since they have 2k likes on facebook that you should polish their knobs to open up for their watered down version of a slayer band they call tech-death. Seems to be a lot of "tech" bands out there that think noone likes them because they are too technical :lol:

Also, playing at venues with two distinct crowds is really annoying. Metal bands come on, so the metal kids come in and the punk kids leave. WTF IS THIS?!!?! I see this everywhere. You are all POS if you do this.

')