Most beautiful chord you've heard

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Alex C

Reaction score
--5--
--3--
--0--
--4--
--2--
--0--

I "played" that from low to high in my mind and it initially looked similar to one of my favorites:

-0-
-4- pinky
-1- index
-4- ring
-2- middle
-0-

A variaton:

-4- picking hand index finger; strum chord with picking hand thumb while fretting.*
-4- pinky
-1- index
-4- ring
-2- middle
-0-

*Other frets (2, 7, 9, 11) are interesting too.

As is often the case with interesting chords, these both sound especially nice when the notes are arpeggiated and allowed to ring into the next.

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
^ More like Amin9

Leaving the 3rd out and getting the voicing your want is very tricky and will become extremely dependent on context and movement catering to it.

Edit: :ninja: Damned SW :lol:

Lirtle

Reaction score
Been into this one recently

E-0
B-1
G-0
D-3
A-0
E-1

7 string Maj13(?) voicing stolen from Tosin

E-0
B-0
G-1
D-4
A-0
E-4
B-2

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score

Mr. Big Noodles

Theory God
Reaction score
pooty.jpg

The first measure is the chord in question. Doesn't sound very tertian to me, so this may all be moot. SirMyghin's pointing out that it's basically a E/F#m polychord, as per the breakdown in measure 2. In measure 4, I'm pointing out just a few of the tertian sonorities that can be derived from that collection. There is also the possibility that it's a secundal sonority derived from the B mixolydian scale (sans D#), which would suggest a dominant function in chord-scale harmony, but I really don't hear B as a significant tone. Looking at it again, it's more like an unconventional voicing of E6/9/11 than anything else.

Just out of curiosity, I'd like to see what you folks come up with for this chord:

fuckinghell.jpg

And, uh, tab:

e-5
b-6
G-0
D-7
A-6
E-x

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
^^

That is a humdinger there. The only 3rd relation I see is D and G, but I don't like the idea of D# add9 b5, too much of a stretch. A+sus4 could be a way of looking at it, but doesn't communicate the #4 as well as say, A+(#11), which overlooks a 3rd.

I would put my bacon on it sounding like an A though, as a repeated note can dominate sonority a bit much, if not a root or a 5th (or just plain sound like ass to my experience)

JosephAOI

Thinks Jazz = Metal
Reaction score
How I see my favorite chords:

D--12---7-----5------------
A--10---5-----3------------
F--10---5-----3------------
C--14---9-----7------------
G---------------------------
D---------------------------
G---------------------------

SchecterWhore's explanation of them: First chord is Eb∆/D, which is VI in G minor. Second is Bb∆/A, which is III in G minor. The third chord is Ab∆/G, which is VI in C minor.

So Eb∆ I suppose.

Mr. Big Noodles

Theory God
Reaction score
^^

That is a humdinger there. The only 3rd relation I see is D and G, but I don't like the idea of D# add9 b5, too much of a stretch. A+sus4 could be a way of looking at it, but doesn't communicate the #4 as well as say, A+(#11), which overlooks a 3rd.

I would put my bacon on it sounding like an A though, as a repeated note can dominate sonority a bit much, if not a root or a 5th (or just plain sound like ass to my experience)

Close, but the A isn't that important. Anyone that knows how I do chords will say that this is an odd analysis: B7(b13,#11)/D#... with a doubled seventh and no root. I wanted a dominant seventh chord with more bite, so I voiced out a whole tone scale to get the chord. The resolution is about the collapse of the upper and lower leading tones (E# [or F] and D#, respectively) to E and the double resolution of the seventh (A) in contrary motion to G and B. Context is everything. Alternatively, one could think of it as a whole tone chord with a dominant/leading tone function. I swear I used this in real music. :lol:

wtchord-resolution.jpg

Also, unequal fifths.
Pissed off dad: "Hey, those fifths were equal last night."

Little redeyed Bobby: "What fifths?"

linguos

Reaction score
As has already been stated, major 9's added to minor chords is great. Here's a favorite of mine:

-

-

-
-

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
Close, but the A isn't that important. Anyone that knows how I do chords will say that this is an odd analysis: B7(b13,#11)/D#... with a doubled seventh and no root. I wanted a dominant seventh chord with more bite, so I voiced out a whole tone scale to get the chord. The resolution is about the collapse of the upper and lower leading tones (E# [or F] and D#, respectively) to E and the double resolution of the seventh (A) in contrary motion to G and B. Context is everything. Alternatively, one could think of it as a whole tone chord with a dominant/leading tone function. I swear I used this in real music. :lol:

wtchord-resolution.jpg

Also, unequal fifths.

Neat, although I would like to know how the hell you manage to play that second chords. Spaghetti fingers over there I guess.

')