Most boring recording EVER!!!!

• Thread starter Prime
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Larcher

fpoon
Contributor
Reaction score
This recording sounds pretty good man, it's extremely clear and well balanced. I think the bass could be 'bassier' I feel the mix is missing some low-end

edit: And I think the guitars have just a tad too much gain.

Prime

Crazy Robot Guy
Reaction score
Thanks...and thanks for taking the time to listen.

Making the bass... bassier should not be a problem. I go out my way to avoid over bassy/boomy recordings. So adding some bass back into the mix should be a breeze. As for the gain...it just a matter of turning a knob.

Thanks for the input.... It is much appreciated.

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
I really like it. makes me want to riff out tonight.
More depth to the lows wouldn't hurt though, even on the drums as well.
What does a "modest home studio" consist of? Are you micing guitar or going direct?
I'm always curious of these things for my own benefit.

Prime

Crazy Robot Guy
Reaction score
Thanks!

I am going direct using a radial pro 48 into revalver for guitars and ampeg svx for bass. Drums are metal machine that I have tweaked. Recording interface is a Focusrite Scarlett... DAW is Reaper. I use a second computer through a Full Rang Amp/Speaker for monitoring while tracking guitars and bass. I'm using a toneport UX2 as an interface on that machine.

And thanks for taking the time to listen to the most boring recording...EVER!!!

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
Good palm-muting and crunch technique trumps all no matter how simple or complex the music IMO.
When I used to give local begginer/intermediate lessons one of the main points I tried to emphasize was "listen to the speaker, control the speaker" lol.

Prime

Crazy Robot Guy
Reaction score
More detail...

The guitar is a 90's Ibanez S series that I custom made from some of the many S series guitars I used to have. Bass is an old Ibanez sound gear SR400.

sproject033-1.jpg

BLACKENSTEIN!!!

http://guitarmatrix.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=sseries&action=display&thread=507&page=1

Prime

Crazy Robot Guy
Reaction score
Wow...thanks for the comments. I didn't think this boring recording would generate many responses.

Much appreciated. :yesway:

So I took a few minutes to apply some of the advice given here. I increased the overall bassy-ness and turned the gain down some on the guitars. Let me know what you guys think.

Did I overdo it? Or does it sound better?

Thanks again.

:cheers:

Edit : Ooops...posted the wrong file. Here is the latest.... http://prime.aspserver.net/goofoff2.mp3

This is the original version for comparison purposes...
http://prime.aspserver.net/goofoff.mp3

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
Does sound better IMO. More umph and purrrrrr, at least with my speakers it sounds better.
"it's not often that she looks better in the morning" lol

Prime

Crazy Robot Guy
Reaction score
Thanks for listening again. I posted the latest version after your comment. I had the wrong file before.

You know you make a good point... "at least with my speakers it sounds better". It seems there comes a time when the mix comes down to the playback system.

That said, I guess a truly good mix should sound good on anything you play it back on... relatively speaking.

Larcher

fpoon
Contributor
Reaction score
it does sound better yes! but now I feel it is missing too much gain :lol:

Do you have an OD pedal infront of the amp? try leaving the gain as it is (or even a bit lower, but not by much) and add an OD pedal in front. I would recommend the OD808

Prime

Crazy Robot Guy
Reaction score
Does sound better IMO. More umph and purrrrrr, at least with my speakers it sounds better.
"it's not often that she looks better in the morning" lol

You don't know how many times I have recorded something and listened to it the next morning only to think....WTF!?!?!?

it does sound better yes! but now I feel it is missing too much gain :lol:

Do you have an OD pedal infront of the amp? try leaving the gain as it is (or even a bit lower, but not by much) and add an OD pedal in front. I would recommend the OD808

I had a nice ts808 (vintage)....but I sold it. I still have a Boss OD1 but I never really liked it. I am using Revalver so I am using the greener (tube screamer) ahead of the amp.

I agree with you on the gain both before and after. I cranked the drive up a little on the tube screamer and backed off the preamp gain.

Thanks for listening... again.

Here is the fourth attempt.....

http://prime.aspserver.net/goofoff4.mp3

Edit: I just remembered I have an OLD Ibanez PT5 with built in TS808... it has the nice JRC IC Chips from the 80's.

Prime

Crazy Robot Guy
Reaction score
I updated it again....I am so retarded. I uploaded the wrong file again!!! :wallbash:

This is the point in which I always fail....never thought l would spend so much time on such a boring recording. Hopefully I will wind up with a useable template for future recordings.

:cheers:

Also if anyone is interested in any of interested in any of the reaper templates, presets, etc....let me know. I will upload them. I'll upload the entire boring project if you like.

jCo76

Reaction score
Good mix, sounds nice and punchy. I would just EQ out some of the "boxiness" from the snare and maybe add a touch more reverb to it. Nice job otherwise though.

')