Most enjoyable riffs to play

• Thread starter tpl2000
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ordacleaphobia

Shameless Contrarian
Reaction score
I just learned Anchor by Misery Signals a couple weeks ago and literally cannot stop playing it. The back half of that song is so fun.
Same for a lot of their stuff actually; Parallels and A Certain Death for sure.

If you're an Extended Ranger™ then just about anything After the Burial puts a stupid grin on my face. Rareform, Deluge, and Anti-Pattern especially.

Also just picked up Forget Me by Currents; first song I've tried way out of my comfort zone in a while but man it's fun if you've got the setup for it.

Honorable mention for Blessed Burden by Defeater if you're into that vibe. Great if you aren't feeling techy stuff and just wanna beat the shit out of some strings for a couple minutes.

ThePhilosopher

Reason User
Reaction score
A few Deftones song are among my favorites to play Root, Lotion, Passenger, When Girls Telephone Boys, Rocket Skates, Goon Squad.
I've also had fun figuring out some Gojira lately too.

Flappydoodle

Reaction score
Megadeth back catalogue for your thrash needs

Killswitch Engage and As I Lay Dying back catalogue for your drop C chugging needs

rokket2005

Reaction score
Nevermore riffs are always awesome. A personal favorite is the chromatic riff that comes in at like 1:55 in Never Purify.

Reactions: fps

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Fun?

You mean southern hardcore? :yesway: :lol:

Cancer bats - birthing the giant (drop C)
Maylene and the sons of disaster - i, ii, iii (drop D or D standard, not sure)
The Holly Springs Disaster - motion sickness love (drop C)
Every time I die - the big dirty (drop D)

It's a start.

Rosal76

Reaction score
No joke, I’m going to find the tabs and play all of these this weekend. I feel like part of life is just looking for fun riffs to play!

Huge +1.

That's why I will never, ever get bored with playing guitar. Infinite amount of songs from so many bands and genres.

zappatton2

Reaction score
Probably cliché, but I still love going back to classic Metallica. Just challenging enough, but not so complex that you can't enjoy yourself playing along. That said, that downpicking on Puppets always kills me. I still make a go of it, but almost never successfully though the whole song.

Fenriswolf

Reaction score
The true answer is the riffs that make your heart happy.

Follow those riffs and good things will come to you.

I've been kind of bored with guitar recently, and have been going back to the stuff that got me going when I first started playing.

I haven't had this much fun since I learned the riffs the first time. As satisfying as it is to learn a new complicated song, there's nothing like going full on Phil X on some AC/DC and Sabbath.

Also, if you can't remember the last time you've been to a guitar shop, you could try learning Smoke on the Water the right way.

Probably cliché, but I still love going back to classic Metallica. Just challenging enough, but not so complex that you can't enjoy yourself playing along. That said, that downpicking on Puppets always kills me. I still make a go of it, but almost never successfully though the whole song.

That's what kills me. I used to have most of their stuff down to Live Shit speed, all downpicked, now I can make it about halfway through Puppets before my arm cramps up, and forget about any kind of gallops.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score

And playing the intro to the solo in Mile Zero is like 100% guaranteed to happen at some point every time I pick up a guitar. Physically, that's such a fun lick @ 3:50

bjgrifter

Djentleman, Esq.
Reaction score
I'll hop on bass and run with that. Classic rock is pretty fun. I love my modern metal, but switching gears to ZZ Top, Skynyrd...more classic stuff. That's a blast too.

Athsmatic by Spineshank, stuff by Seether, Blind from Korn...I'll put it out how Limp Bizkit is fun to play.

r33per

Reaction score
Erotomania.
Oh yes, especially the G#m section after the first solo. Love it.

Knights of Cydonia by Muse, especially the outro.
Red Barchetta, Rush.
Technical Difficulties, Paul Gilbert (i really cannot play it, but have great fun trying and pretending that I do... :shred:)

')