Most enjoyable riffs to play

• Thread starter tpl2000
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

KnightBrolaire

Pickup Connoisseur
Reaction score
Selkies by BTBAM - One of the most memorable licks in all of metal imo. Still one of my favorite BTBAM songs
Of Unworldly Origin/Debt Owed to the Grave/United in Helotry/Witch Trials- I may be biased as I'm a huge Revocation fanboy, but goddamn does Dave Davidson have some awesome riffs.
Elegiac/Complex Terms/Digital Veil/Antebellum/Sotto voce/ Mea Culpa - The Human Abstract - Again, I'm kind of biased here because I think AJ Minette is a criminally underrated guitarist and riff writer.
Zombie Ritual/Spirit Crusher/Pull the Plug by Death - Can't go wrong with Death riffage.
Curl of the Burl/Blood and Thunder/Crystal Mountain/ Fire Ants - Mastodon - Good mix of their catchy poppier stuff and the bangers.
Toxic Garbage Island/Wolf Down the Earth/Art of Dying/Ouroboros - Gojira = None of the songs are overly difficult but they're a ton of fun of to play.

Livewire by Motley Crue- simple but fun as hell
Bad Boys by Whitesnake- such a fun main riff.
Black Betty by Ram Jam- The main riff and the descent into chaos after a few bars is too damn fun.
Jailbreak by Thin Lizzy- same as Ram Jam, super fun and relatively simple main riff.
Round and Round or Lay it Down by Ratt - Fun. Catchy.

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Soul Crusher by White Zombie is an absolute jam to play, same for Clutch's Elephant Riders; those are two big 'go-tos' when trying out a new guitar or bass.

Ordacleaphobia

Shameless Contrarian
Reaction score
And playing the intro to the solo in Mile Zero is like 100% guaranteed to happen at some point every time I pick up a guitar. Physically, that's such a fun lick @ 3:50

Big +1 for Mile Zero.
I could never figure out the full song (not to mention that solo) but it has soooo many fun parts. That bouncy main riff is one of my go-tos for sure.

fps

Kit
Reaction score
That middle one in This Love.
Middle one on Blackened.
Tornado of Souls.
Are the first ones that come to mind.

akinari

Reaction score
Oh man, so many. Fix My Heart by Voivod, Dismantle the Dictator by Revocation, basically every CKY riff, Discordance Axis, the Malevolent Creation songs I can still remember how to play...

InHiding

Reaction score
Shadows (at 12:26), man! If I could only do the solos...

sirbuh

Reaction score
Morbid Angel - Day of Suffering, He Who Sleeps, I
GnR - Paradise City
EvH - Ain't talkin', Drop Dead Legs, Runnin' with the Devil, and so many more
Hendrix - Purple Haze

KnightBrolaire

Pickup Connoisseur
Reaction score
some other fun songs:
Hold the line/Rosanna- Toto = super underrated band. Steve Lukather throws some really neat riffs in there
Final Countdown- Europe =tons of fun

Mississippi Queen- Mountain= stupidly fun to play. Just chockful of riffs.

Mr Sandman- Chet atkins (has a lot of tricky bits tbh)

Sweet Mountain River - Monster Truck = 3 minutes of kick ass groovy riffs

shadowlife

Contributor
Reaction score
KISS- War Machine
UFO- Rock Bottom
Zep- The Ocean
Sabbath= Iron Man

KailM

Reaction score
One By One — Immortal
The Somberlain — Dissection
Voodoo Child and his style of the Star Spangled Banner —JH
And this is cheesy, but the Top Gun Anthem.

iamaom

Reaction score
Decapitated - Spheres of Madness (you know the one), great pinky warm up + look like a total badass.

Any riff involving achromatic 3-4 finger hammer-ons with string skipping, not sure if there's a name for them. They usually sound much harder to play than they really are and are my go to "oh you can play guitar? show us" riffs. Ex. Atheist - Fictitious Glide, Cryptopsy - Two Pound Torch

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
Decapitated - Spheres of Madness (you know the one), great pinky warm up + look like a total badass.

Any riff involving achromatic 3-4 finger hammer-ons with string skipping, not sure if there's a name for them. They usually sound much harder to play than they really are and are my go to "oh you can play guitar? show us" riffs. Ex. Atheist - Fictitious Glide, Cryptopsy - Two Pound Torch

Spheres of Madness is my go to death metal song :eddie:

Also recommend Capillarian Crest by Mastodon. That song is a good way to get into hybrid picking in the beginning, though you don't absolutely have to in order to play it, and then the whole end of it is palm mute rifftastic.

Or if you're more of a dropped B kinda guy go for Mowgli by Veil of Maya

Last edited:

gunshow86de

Beef Jerky Time
Reaction score
Put my main sixer in drop-d for the first time in months, time to relearn this song. Some really fun riffs in here. The solo is simple but interesting too.

R34CH

Counter Culture Bullet Vulture
Reaction score
Flying Whales - Gojira (could easily play this for an hour straight and not get bored)

Lie - Dream Theater (song that got me into 7s so is usually my "all systems go" riff when I first plug in)

Sarcophagus - Nile (heavier than the bricks that make up the effen pyramids)

sleewell

Reaction score
really easy, most of you guys will laugh.

but both Omerta by LoG and Psychosocial by Slipknot are super fun to play with my band. we go off on both of them and i love playing them.

')