Most Heavy Metal Guitar Body Finish Ever

• Thread starter Bobro
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobro

Reaction score
If you go into a very old farmhouse in the region I live in (southeastern Europe, down just below the southern border of Austria), you'll sometimes find the interior softwood beams and posts stained black. This looks great, and very heavy metal, and is done with animal blood, which has got to be the most heavy metal wood stain of all time. Don't know the recipe, but I think it is as simple as cow blood and salt or apno (lime).

I have some reclaimed antique larch of fantastic quality for guitar bodies and I think this combination of antique wood and the lovely soft and organic looking black of animal blood stain would be a very attractive thing for all kinds of heavy metal guitarists. The larch I have is not wide enough for a proper flying V but a Gibson Corvus type of shape would be doable without having to glue up the body. Maybe a Telecaster guitar, not for metalheads but for dark and doomy cowpoke type of guys, cuz what says "cowboy" more than cow blood?

What do you guys think?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Grand Rabbit

Reaction score
As a vegetarian I find this morbidly offensive.
Lol

but seriously, I don't think it's cool to use animal blood when you don't need to. It just promotes the idea that we can take whatever we want from nature without any consequence, which is patently false.
If you want to use blood, why not add a little bit of your own blood to a premixed, water based black stain? You'll get the whole idea of using blood without having to promote wanton slaughter.

rifftrauma

Trapped in time...
Contributor
Reaction score
Check out Daemoness, Dylan did a stain with Goats blood I believe. Came out looking pretty good.

TonyFlyingSquirrel

Cherokee Warrior
Reaction score

Grand Rabbit

Reaction score
if your guitar offends vegetarians its metal af...it must be done.

Offensiveness may qualify as metal if one is committed to the art of being offensive,

but fine folk of the internet, what can we say is the definition of 'metal'? Is it not radical inclusiveness, a passion in the heart to never back down from one's principles and the communal spirit of immensely heavy music? If so, then I say cows should be allowed at metal concerts and the like without fear of being slaughtered for the sake of fashion. Cow's blood seems, generally speaking, more like a celebration of the modern meat industry in the full swing of western capitalism, which, to me, is not very metal: rather a guitar of that like would be better suited to be in the hands of a Ronald McDonald robot playing at McDonald's Land.

NateFalcon

Reaction score
Some plywoods and glue-lam beams are still glued using cow and pigs blood...it makes an excellent adhesive. Hide glue (animal adhesive) used on guitars is essentially boiled down animal ligaments (horse, rabbit, pigs)...using animals is more common than you might think

NateFalcon

Reaction score
To get past the cruelty aspect, most animals aren’t slaughtered for renderings so the blood and bones being used is probably a lot “greener” than using chemicals that have environmentally damaging consequences during production and disposal...

NateFalcon

Reaction score
3477BBD0-8D74-469A-9EA4-457FB961878B.jpeg
104CC7F4-28ED-49D7-99BF-38EA0E1BF4EA.jpeg
3A47BFFD-2E59-4D80-8BCB-84431732AAAE.jpeg
F69438A9-24C3-416F-814B-6393387B3ED0.jpeg
Japanese have also been doing this for hundreds of years...sometimes just the beam work, but there’s quite a few temples with blood soaked ceilings as well

Lemonbaby

Reaction score
Pink - the mostest heaviest colour forevooaaaahhhrrggghhh!

As a vegetarian I find this morbidly offensive.
Lol

but seriously, I don't think it's cool to use animal blood when you don't need to. It just promotes the idea that we can take whatever we want from nature without any consequence, which is patently false.
If you want to use blood, why not add a little bit of your own blood to a premixed, water based black stain? You'll get the whole idea of using blood without having to promote wanton slaughter.
Latest research actually proves that plants
1. use simple forms of communication,
2. have mechanisms acting like a simple nervous system to process input from their surroundings and react accordingly and
3. take care of younger plants in their surroundings (like we do for our children)

What are your planning to eat now? :cond:

n4t

Reaction score

2. have mechanisms acting like a simple nervous system to process input from their surroundings and react accordingly and
3. take care of younger plants in their surroundings (like we do for our children)

LET THE RABBITS WEAR GLASSES!!!!

Grand Rabbit

Reaction score

well, time to derail this thread a lil more ( can anyone hear Randy Rhoads starting Crazy Train in the background? )

vegetarianism has nothing to do with abstaining from harming other life forms. To be alive is to take from life in order to survive.

It's about the fact that the meat packaging industry is creating immense amounts of greenhouse gasses, along with cruel feeding and housing environments for the animals. Until the country which I am a citizen of, the united states, begins to produce meat in a sustainable way and by improving the quality of animal farms and reducing the over all livestock population in order to decrease greehouse gasses, I will abstain from eating livestock.

Sollipsist

Reaction score
I'm willing to bet nobody here (vegetarian or anti-vegetarian lol) has any conception of just how much animal blood is wasted on a daily basis. We're talking tanker trucks full of the stuff.

If any of it can be put to use instead of just being flushed, I say go for it.

Specifically, on a mahogany or black korina SG body with BKP pig 90s and possibly a baritone scale neck. I haven't decided yet :D

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
I don't know about black stain, but I know that in the early days of the USA, many farmers painted their barns red by mixing linseed oil with blood and rust. The rust acted as an anti-fungal additive, to keep the wood from rotting. I would guess that heating the blood up in a cauldron would turn it black, or maybe the naturally red blood would simply turn black over time through natural oxidation or decomposition.

At any rate, you probably would want to seal it off with some sort of oil or varnish.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
If anything, I find it to be the most moral and respectful of the animal to make as much use of it as possible. As long as the original killing was purposeful (as in to eat it), then the best case scenario is that as little of it goes to waste as possible. :2c:

Also, yeh, I'm gonna say it's pretty "metal" to use actual blood in the finish, regardless of the source.

Status
Not open for further replies.
')