Most original metal band?

• Thread starter median
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

cronux

Reaction score
Who is the most original metal band out right now (besides Meshuggah!)? Who is doing ground breaking stuff?

reading "most original metal band" in the thread section i was ready to MESHUGGAH the hell out of it, looks like you were one step ahead of me :lol:

i dunno... in a way, i would say the acacia strain (kinda mixing up things with the last 2 albums), deftones (diamond eyes is really awesome), animals as leaders (but only because of the first album), lamb of god (the last album had some really original kicks), whitechapel (the last album has nice licks)...

out of those i mentioned i would not say that they are the MOST ORIGINAL but if i can recognize a band by just listening to some part of a song that's pretty original to me :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jam3v

wat
Reaction score
The bands that stand out to me are

BOO, AAL, Periphery, Meshuggah, Teserract, Chimp Spanner

everything else just sounds like Whitechapel :p

wankerness

Reaction score
The bands that stand out to me are

BOO, AAL, Periphery, Meshuggah, Teserract, Chimp Spanner

everything else just sounds like Whitechapel :p

How can they all be the most original if they all sound similar? :nuts:

ras1988

Reaction score
Cynic circa 1993 (listen to the demos from just a year or two before the release of Focus the shift is utterly amazing)
Gojira
Meshuggah

vstealth

Reaction score

I would have agreed but emperor has been disbanded for a while now. For me, no band compares with them or ever will, its as close to perfection as possible as a whole (in my view of course).

Currently, I would have to say Necrophagist, I know alot of people hate them lately over the continually delayed album but I can listen to onset of putrefaction and epitaph continuously and it blows me away every time, nothing quite like it.

Thep

Blast & Sweep
Reaction score
Gorod
Unexpect
Cynic
I'll get some hate for this, but Dimmu Borgir
Visually, not so much musically: Behemoth
Lyrically, Spawn of Possession

ilyti

Lazy Ryebread Viking
Reaction score
^ It took until page 3 for someone to mention Tool? I am disappoint.

And I really don't see how Meshuggah can be considered "original" anymore. I guess it depends on your definition of original. As in, they were the original djent band, sure. But I haven't heard anytihng groundbreakingly different on their last couple albums.

Also, another vote here for Unexpect. Crazy.

wankerness

Reaction score
And I really don't see how Meshuggah can be considered "original" anymore. I guess it depends on your definition of original. As in, they were the original djent band, sure. But I haven't heard anytihng groundbreakingly different on their last couple albums.

What's your definition of original, then? "Every album they release sounds completely different from their previous one"? I think coming up with their own sound which then spawned an entire genre is about as original as it gets, no matter what they did after that.

the fuhrer

Reaction score
Just to name a few that I didn't see posted yet: Mastodon, Triptykon, Baroness, Limp Bizkit, Borknagar, Septicflesh, Ghost, Isis and Opeth.

jjfiegel

Reaction score
Do Mr. Bungle and Fantomas count? Probably two of the most original bands I have ever heard.

sol niger 333

I like stuff
Reaction score
Can only think of Meshiuggah really. The only band to have globally reinvented the metal wheel since Metallica. Shit I suppose Korn were pretty original too but not really metal as such.

')