Most original metal band?

• Thread starter median
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DLG

not guthrie govan
Reaction score
I agree they have their own thing going, just thought you might enjoy these guys if you're unfamiliar with them.

they were doing this kind of instrumental prog stuff before it got cool so they are pretty under the radar still for most people.

Olin

Reaction score
Now I only looked at a few pages so I apologise if I missed it, but guys...
Converge?
Me and Him Call It Us were pretty unique whilst they were still around, but not remotely well known enough to get any appreciation.

Other notable mentions: Throats, Swans (not remotely a metal band, but we wouldn't have grindcore without them so we owe them that).

ESP_

Reaction score
I don't know if they've been mentioned yet. But Lykathea Aflame is the most unique metal band I can think of.

guitareben

Reaction score
Something that's new to you is not original. Don't be so sure of your opinions.

Behold.

I disagree wholeheartedly with you :p :D How original something is can ONLY be based on on what you've heard before... because I mean, what else do you base originality off? An original thing is something that is very different sounding, but you can only compare what you hear to what you already know... I mean, otherwise you'd be stating that you've heard everything etc...

And yea that video is fricken insane!!! And thats what I mean, whether something is original or not is entirely based of what you know ^^ I'd never seen guys like that before, so to me, tosin's stuff was completely new :D

I'd still argue it [Tosin's playing] sounds different, but yea, same technique there :D

You're giving Tosin way too much credit. :lol:
Regi Wooten, a guitarist, and the person who taught Victor Wooten double thumb technique (he's his brother) has been using it for a long time.
Regi also taught Evan Brewer double thumb technique, and Evan taught Tosin.
I'm sure he (Regi) used it on a recording at some point or another, but I'm not particularly familiar with his stuff, or Victor Wootens for that matter so I can't point you to a specific track or album.
He also does a lot of slap guitar though, so good luck differentiating the two if you do go looking.

Claiming AAL are doing something that would qualify them as the "most original" or even kind of original made me laugh almost as hard as seeing Meshuggah mentioned in the OP. Unless I've been imagining all of the instrumental proggy shred I've heard over the years of course.

As covered above, the reason I gave Tosin so much credit was simply because I hadn't seen or heard anyone else doing that stuff :) (I have now :D , so I kinda half retract that statement). But yea, it's purely based of what I've listened too.

In fact, the whole thing is subjective, and all dependent on what music you have listened to before anyway... So...

IMO :p

Reaction score
The only band I haven't seen that I would bring up are Katatonia. There might be a handful of doomy/gloomy sounding bands out there but I've never heard any other vocalist quite like Renske. Really pulls it all together into a unique listening experience.

Also: Van Canto.

:fawk:

ROAR

oaf tobar
Reaction score
That shit was almost as good as Andy Bernard's
Here Comes Treble

jam3v

wat
Reaction score
How can they all be the most original if they all sound similar? :nuts:

Sounding similar doesn't mean they're not original. And i'm not claiming that every single aspect of their sound is 100% original.

I'm just saying that, for me, each of those bands brings something original to the table. Just my opinion.

Also, was it necessary to give me bad rep because I made a joke about a lot of metal bands sounding like Whitechapel in a thread about originality? o_O

wankerness

Reaction score
Sounding similar doesn't mean they're not original. And i'm not claiming that every single aspect of their sound is 100% original.

I'm just saying that, for me, each of those bands brings something original to the table. Just my opinion.

Also, was it necessary to give me bad rep because I made a joke about a lot of metal bands sounding like Whitechapel in a thread about originality? o_O

Not sure who you're addressing that last part to, I dunno how to even give someone bad rep, if I misclicked something let me know :scratch:

median

Reaction score
Don't think there are any original metal bands left - they all seem to be decendants of Black Sabbath, Metallica, Slayer, or Motorhead.

And those guys are all decedents of musicians that came before them. Originality varies by degree.

Meshuggah (my ultimate pick) were influenced by bay area thrash (Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Testament, Antrhax, etc) but they sound nothing like those bands.

')