Most overrated player

• Thread starter Metal-Box
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

drgamble

Reaction score
Didn't read whole thread but it has to be Carlos Santana!!!:ugh:

EDIT Oh and that John 5 dude!

Now John 5 is overrated? Wow I either don't understand the term overrated or I am a real shit player. I could really say that about most people listed. I don't understand how people can focus in on guys that revolutionized guitar playing or play in a band where songwriting is the focus. Now I'm wondering who everyone thinks is a great guitar player as it is apparent from this thread that most all of my heroes are apparently hacks that can barely play. I guess the only thing impressive is something like Rings of Saturn that is apparently not even real.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sojourner

Reaction score
Doesn't make his post any less irritating.

I didn't say anything negative about Govan, yet you attack me.. wow

Oh well..

If I had to choose between being a jack of all trades and a master of one, I would choose the latter. Maybe Govan is an exception of the rule that can actually pull many styles together and actually deliver them. I didn't say I don't like his stuff, it's just people get obsessed with him, like he's the guitar Messiah.

I shouldn't have started this Govan thing, I should have kept my mouth shut. I apologise if anyone got pissed or sad or whatever, it was just my opinion.

As for the comparison with some true cats, it was a response to the quotes of some highly rock/fusion guitarists he posted.

Fine.. i respect your point of view and thanks for the logical reply

redskyharbor

Despises crabcore.
Reaction score
Guthrie Govan's contribution to The Raven That Refused to Sing proves he can excel in pretty much any style he chooses.

I would have to agree on John Petrucci though, the latest Dream Theater album just sounded like one big theory exercise to me. It didn't feel very inspiring to me personally. I know a lot of people enjoy ragging on Misha because that's the hip thing to do at the minute but from a purely compositional standpoint, in my opinion Racecar trumped pretty much anything on the last few Dream Theater albums. And if you disagree then that's great, because these are all just opinions. :)

Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence was absolutely killer though.

Maniacal

Reaction score
Petrucci is overrated. I have never understood the appeal. Boring solos, boring songs. Not as technically brilliant as most people seem to think.

Bring on the neg reps!

Mordacain

Formerly 1-watt brigadier
Reaction score
This thread is kinda funny. I'm guessing it's just an excuse for an opinion bashing fun time? There's certainly no way there could be any quantitative review happening so it would just end up being subjective opinions based on people's tastes and views of what they "think" is interesting or not.

Hyacinth

Ghostmaker
Reaction score
This is some funny stuff. Holdsworth is highly rated by OTHER master musicians. Not by crowds of metal fans or guitarists who don't know anything about harmony (although some of them rate him highly for his obvious physical gifts).

I guess John McLaughlin, Chick Corea, Mike Brecker, Dave Liebman, Tony Williams, Scott Henderson, Jeff Berlin, Kurt Rosenwinkel and on the rock side, EVH, Brett Garsed, Steve Vai, Steve Lukather etc don't know what they are talking about.

Good thing I keep up with metal forums to know Allan has "bad note choices" and is overrated. And jazz is about notes which make you cringe.

Thanks

Woah woah, I wasn't even saying I agreed with that guy. I like Holdsworth, I was just explaining that sometimes in jazz there are notes that are intentionally jarring to produce a certain effect. I didn't say anything about him not knowing what he's doing. Did you mean to quote the other guy? lol

JPMike

Totally Random
Reaction score
The last thing, I want to see is this thread turning into an argument or a fight between us. Some agree with each other some others don't. End of story!!

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
The last thing, I want to see is this thread turning into an argument or a fight between us. Some agree with each other some others don't. End of story!!

SpogbBd.png

:D

Dooky

Reaction score
I find the conversations around Guthrie Govan quite interesting.
Reasons being that, when I first started getting into guitar playing, I remember people saying how Shawn Lane was the best guitarist to have ever lived. I could clearly see that his playing was great, but didn’t get what all the fuss was really about. I feel the same way about a couple of other guitarists that people think are the best.
Then I discovered Guthrie and I thought he was the bees knees (and I still do). He's an amazing guitar player and he's music and playing really hits the spot with me - and that's just it. Music, & more importantly for this the purposes of this thread, guitar playing, is subjective - not that this is a new concept to any of you, but I think we lose sight of that sometimes. Guthrie uses a lot of guitar techniques that I really like & that are important to me and he does them very well, plus I really like his compositions.
I love Guthrie's solo album & The Aristocrats and could listen to it all day and I appreciate that other people feel the same way about Shane Lane. Conversely, I appreciate that not everyone is going to think Guthrie is all that great or even that he’s overrated.
Because, at the end of the day, musicianship speaks to us all in different ways.

Stealthtastic

Doesn't play guitar
Reaction score
Can I say Steve Vai and no one get mad?
Ohwell, don't care.
Steve Vai :lol:

EDIT: didn't read all 9 pages. Anyone say John Mayer yet?

Curt

Where we're going we don't need neck pickups.
Reaction score
Can I say Steve Vai and no one get mad?
Ohwell, don't care.
Steve Vai :lol:

EDIT: didn't read all 9 pages. Anyone say John Mayer yet?

I think John Mayer is a solid blues player, and has some really fun songs.
Would never say he is an amazing guitarist, but he plays tastefully in his choice genre.

I think Vai is another of those players who are solid, and very tasteful.

jimwratt

Reaction score
Overrated does not mean they aren't praise-worthy. It just means that these are the folks people tend to go overboard on praising.

That said, my list is as follows:

Petrucci
Satriani
Page
Clapton
Edge
Jack White
Slash
John Mayer
Orianthi (she was videotaped while having blonde hair playing guitar close to Michael Jackson shortly before he died. If she was a brunette, we'd have never heard of her. She's a great player though, but it't not like Entertainment Tonight pays attention to other guitarists of her caliber and beyond.)
Cooley
MAB
Santana
Beck

All of those players (except Jack White and the Edge), are great players and deserve a lot of the attention and praise they get...just not quite all of it. It's no biggie. Most of that extra hype is to pay their bills more so than anything else.

As for folks saying Misha and Abasi overrated. I think you guys might be spending too much time on these forums and Youtube comment sections. If anything, they are VASTLY underrated. They're doing a lot to keep creativity as a central ethic of rock music and I wish they had a broader influence in other genres.

Don Vito

Reaction score
They're getting featured in Guitar World every so often. I think Tosin made the cover once.

They're not limited to this forum and Youtube anymore, although it still makes up the majority of listeners.

jimwratt

Reaction score
Bootsy Collins, jk

What I think most people here would agree with though is that there are a ton of artists what are underrated who we would like to hear more from.

Also, we should all be clear that momentary popularity is not the same thing as being overhyped. Overhyping, in my mind, is a more sustained thing. Of course everybody is gonna freak over Abasi and Misha, they're new. They did the same thing over Herman Li a few years back and while he still has a presence, he seems to have been overtaken. Guitar World is kind of like a hard copy of a forum anyway these days.

Sverdugo

Overlord of Earth
Reaction score
As for folks saying Misha and Abasi overrated. I think you guys might be spending too much time on these forums and Youtube comment sections. If anything, they are VASTLY underrated. They're doing a lot to keep creativity as a central ethic of rock music and I wish they had a broader influence in other genres.

I whole heartedly agree. Perhaps amongst seven and eight stringers around their forums and circles the Bulb and Abasi circle jerking can get so intense that others find the praise to be too great, but in the scope of all guitarists, I feel like they're not even really that known.

Status
Not open for further replies.
')