Most overrated player

• Thread starter Metal-Box
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

7stringDemon

Reaction score
Tom Morello.

I think I already posted that, but I'm doing it again because .... that guy.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
Regarding Hendrix, there's no doubt he was not a technical beast, although he was very innovative especially for his time. I do, however, think he was amazing from a raw emotional guitar playing talent perspective. He was feeling those notes, that's for damn sure, and that's been a big influence on me.

Hendrix often threw technicality out the window to convey emotion - I think that's one of the main things that made him great - and come off as great to the average listener, who just wants to be moved by music.

stuglue

Reaction score
The majority of overrated players have no say in who hypes them. I'm sure they are self deprecating humble guys. Jeff Hannemann made no bones about the fact that he thought of himself as an average guitarist. Fact is the music press kisses arse of anyone who can help sell their magazine. .... the NME and all those pretentious rags.

mongey

Reaction score
2 big Ones for me

SRV - 99% of it sounds cheesy as hell to me .i had a roommate who loved him . I'd just go to the pub whenever the cd came out

and i have to agree Dimebag. His playing is fine but his tone- just not for me at all and puts me off him completley

Reaction score
Yngwie. Not because he is a bad musician, but because he is a first class dickbag. :lol:

And of course Mick Thomson.

And now I'm getting a bit nervous because of all the Korn fanboys here, but I'd say Munky :ugh: *flameshield on*

RagtimeDandy

On a Musical Journey
Reaction score
Guthrie Govan.

trollface_small.jpg

Workhorse

Reaction score
Yngwie. Not because he is a bad musician, but because he is a first class dickbag. :lol:

And of course Mick Thomson.

And now I'm getting a bit nervous because of all the Korn fanboys here, but I'd say Munky :ugh: *flameshield on*

Mick Thompson and Munky are hardly overrated. They write decent riffs and happen to be in bands with huge commercial success. Munky's cool because of the whole sevenstring idea, but besides that I'd really doubt guitarists drooled over his work.

Zalbu

More time than skill
Reaction score
I feel like Mick Thompson gets a lot of shit simply because he's in Slipknot. I mean, he writes some solid riffs and if you watch some interviews him you'll see that he's a pretty humble guy who knows quite a bit about guitars.

Malkav

Washing your dishes.
Reaction score
I feel like Mick Thompson gets a lot of shit simply because he's in Slipknot. I mean, he writes some solid riffs and if you watch some interviews him you'll see that he's a pretty humble guy who knows quite a bit about guitars.

He's actually also a pretty tight player, saw a few in studio videos with him, and one where he was playing thrash metal stuff, and I am absolutely not a slipknot fan by any stretch of the imagination, just credit where it's due.

Seriously though Henry Kaizer - I honestly don't think he has any idea what the .... he's doing...

skisgaar

Master-debatur
Reaction score

I just think there aren't enough people who have truly paid attention to the technicality of a lot of Splipknot's songs, especially the songs on All Hope Is Gone. Mick's studio videos reveal just how tight a player he is too.

Mprinsje

st. anger ain't bad!
Reaction score
I just think there aren't enough people who have truly paid attention to the technicality of a lot of Splipknot's songs, especially the songs on All Hope Is Gone. Mick's studio videos reveal just how tight a player he is too.

unfortunately Slipknot aren't very good when they're trying to be technical :fawk:. Simple heavy stuff is when they thrive

Reaction score
Mick Thompson and Munky are hardly overrated. They write decent riffs and happen to be in bands with huge commercial success. Munky's cool because of the whole sevenstring idea, but besides that I'd really doubt guitarists drooled over his work.

Yeah, I know, but it's more the fact I don't get the enormous popularity. But hey, whatever floats your boat :D They asked for an opinion, and I gave my opinion.

karjim

Set the World Afire
Reaction score
I can't believe some one said Guthrie Govan. This thread is a joke.
No body knows Guthrie, he plays in small gigs with 100 people and I think he is one of the most versatile player on this damned planet. Incredible feeling, huge knowledge, multi instrumentiste, and an evil shredder like Ron Thal.
In same time I saw Steve Vai...this guy is an encyclopedia of music and variations, he even can talk with this guitar and these fingers are like cats on eggs. He has so knowledge he's far beyond a lot of you 2010's Djent heroes.
Poor kids I see. Do you know the complexity of Frank Zappa music and Paganini sections ?
Some guys are really nuts and musical like bonobos.
I'm waiting the one who will say Shawn Lane and this poor Becker ...haha :)
"Hey dude this guy sweeped all the time, he's overated, I can do it too"

oniduder

HONKEY DONKEY
Reaction score
I can't believe some one said Guthrie Govan. This thread is a joke.
No body knows Guthrie, he plays in small gigs with 100 people and I think he is one of the most versatile player on this damned planet. Incredible feeling, huge knowledge, multi instrumentiste, and an evil shredder like Ron Thal.
In same time I saw Steve Vai...this guy is an encyclopedia of music and variations, he even can talk with this guitar and these fingers are like cats on eggs. He has so knowledge he's far beyond a lot of you 2010's Djent heroes.
Poor kids I see. Do you know the complexity of Frank Zappa music and Paganini sections ?
Some guys are really nuts and musical like bonobos.
I'm waiting the one who will say Shawn Lane ...haha :)

i think the guthrie was a joke comment because of the trolololol face at the bottom, not sure who cares though

my vote is simple

zaak wylde, malmstein, for being a class A douche, and idk someone else that's popular that has a bravado and machismo and nothing to show for it

this thread is strange though because i know i can't play with most of these players,

i suck, i couldn't tour if i had a band, and wouldn't be able to be as consistent as much of these players are so idk

but still most of this i agree with,

so there!

boo!

Status
Not open for further replies.
')