Most overrated player

• Thread starter Metal-Box
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Esp Griffyn

Play more music
Reaction score
Not really when you have people like Uli Jon Roth, Richie Blackmore, Steve Morse, etc already out.

And when you conider that super heavyweights like John McLaughlin, Al Di Meola and Allan Holdsworth were playing at the same time as those guys, the names you've listed are not even second or third rate, they aren't even on the same planet as the likes of Allan and John.

Anyway, a quick list of a few guy I think are overrated:

Slash
D-bag
Zakk Wylde
The dorks from Avenged Sevenfold
Ola Englund
Chris Broderick
Alexi Laiho - certainly after HCDR, where his playing become much less imaginative
Misha Mansoor
Jimmy Page
Angus Young
Pete Townsend

There are probably loads more I could name, but it's a hot, sunny day and I'm too busy listening to guitarists I like to think about guitarists who blow.

wespaul

Octaves of Manhattan
Reaction score
Dimebag would tell you himself that he really only knows a few patterns when it comes to soloing. I think the credit he gets is because he was able to help usher in a heavier style of music during a time when metal just was not cool at all. He was the only guitarist in that band, and yet they had this huge sound. I don't buy that "he gets more credit because he died early," either. It's not like he died in the middle of Pantera's huge run; it was 3 years after they stopped playing.

Joose

Custom User Title
Reaction score
I'm not sure this is a... healthy sort of thread... :p Kinda a bit negative XD

I think it's nice to have a negative thread every now and then.

I was gonna come in here and defend Misha's playing but... I've learned that's pointless on this forum. The first reply would involve that utterly pathetic word, "fanboy" and I just don't feel like starting my day off like that. :lol:

I guess saying him and Dimebag just bothers me a little. Because they don't just shred like morons all the time. Truly brilliant songwriters. "There's nothing that special"... You mean there's nothing show off-y that doesn't fit the song??

Oops, started to get into it anyway. Moving on!

Eclipse

Reaction score
What is the definition of an "over rated guitarist"?

What qualities or characteristics make one an "over rated guitarist"?

mulgreaux

Daemoness Guitars
Reaction score
I'm gonna second Dimebag. He was a solid player, but I think the main reason he gets so much recognition is because he died young, much like Kurt Cobain.

Tosin Abasi deserves all the recognition he gets because he's seriously just amazing.

I think you'll find Dime got plenty of attention before he died...

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
David Shankle of course... :lol:

Or any guitar player you don't like that gets more recognition than you... Obviously...

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
As much as people like to rag on Zakk, I though the first 2 Ozzy and BLS albums, along with Pride and Glory, were amazing.

He's not the most technical player, and he's not as good as he used to be, but back in the day, he was a really good writer. Not to mention he's awesome on acoustic.

daschy

BIG WHISKERS
Reaction score
I'll go on a limb and disagree with almost everyone, I don't think any guitarist is overrated - they excel at something and deserve the attention they get.

I'm going to go on a limb and disagree with this post- some guitarists don't excel, but do get a whole lot of attention anyways.

And I think we all agree that the opposite of being overrated exists, which is having all the skill in the world and getting none of the recognition, and nobody complained or disagreed with the premise of the 'underrated guitarists' thread somewhere down the page a bit.

So, here's my list of guys who really don't excel, they don't contribute much in my eyes to the world of music, but still get hailed as some sort of hero: (Still, I contribute to the problem by listening to a lot of these people and enjoying their music, but whatever)

Eric Clapton
Slash
Muhammed Suicmez, if only a little
Buckethead, a million times over
Kerry King

...I guess this list could go on a bit

Danukenator

Kane's Bane
Reaction score
I'm going to stick up for Slash here. The man wrote some amazing riffs, some amazing solos and gave some amazing live performances (...and so not so great ones :lol:). As far as the hard rock with blues influence goes, Slash is amazing. He excelled at what he does and the man can still play after all the years of parties and getting wasted.

I think in a thread like this, people need to consider what these players accomplished aside from sales and number of fans. Yngwie basically got the ball going for an entire genre of music (shred) and hugely upped the mainstream bar for what "technical" was. Eddie Van Halen accomplished a similar feat and brought an technique into the playing field. Look at all the copy cat musicians these people have. They may be famous but their inspiration started careers for the next generations. However, I agree many of these musicians have ridiculous fanboies. Go for averages when looking at hype. I almost never listen to obnoxious teens on the net. Who cares of Misha has a legion of annoying fans. The guy helped pave the way for a gazillion new bands, like it or not.

I also love threads like this. It's fun to hear what people DON'T like every now and again. It can spark a discussion, etc.

fps

Kit
Reaction score
+1

Misha Mansoor is a James Hetfield for the 21st century.

WHAT!? James Hetfield is one of the most formative, influential and greatest rhythm guitarists and riff writers in the history of metal.

Anyway, this thread won't end well. It's basically going to be a lot of people saying *I'm jealous of X's success.*

fps

Kit
Reaction score
Dimebag would tell you himself that he really only knows a few patterns when it comes to soloing. I think the credit he gets is because he was able to help usher in a heavier style of music during a time when metal just was not cool at all. He was the only guitarist in that band, and yet they had this huge sound.

No it's because people really like his music, his style, and the sounds that came out of his guitar.

Sverdugo

Overlord of Earth
Reaction score
The Whitechapel Trio. I just don't find them interesting! Otherwise, someone persuade me.

Once that new wave of metal hit while I was in mid-high school I never understood why so many people loved Whitechapel and Job For a Cowboy. Bozeman is cool and everything, but the guitarists are just plain uninteresting to me and it takes more than just a frontman for me to like a band.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

')