Most overrated player

• Thread starter Metal-Box
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

daschy

BIG WHISKERS
Reaction score
Wow, 12 pages of Comic Book Guy :lol:

I find that dwelling on what kind of music I don't like is, for myself as a musician, a complete waste of energy. And that anyone who's had any success in the business (let alone the huge names that have been mentioned in this topic) did so by being very, very appreciated. By someone, doesn't have to be me.

My contribution to the list would be to say there are plenty of players who clearly didn't make an effort to make ME like their music, and that's cool. They would most likely not enjoy my music either :)

I think you're taking this thread the wrong way- it's not that we're all dwelling on who we don't like (although I'm sure some people came here to do that), but the only thought I really had when posting my own list of overrated players was "Gee, who gets a lot of praise for their guitar playing but doesn't really excel at guitar".

Hell, I like quite a few of the players I find overrated. I listen to Pantera all the time, and I think Dime is quite overrated, same with Metallica and Kirk. I think some of us have gotten confused and just came here to trash players we don't like, instead of actually putting some thought into whether or not they're overrated.

GiveUpGuitar

Give Up the Goods!
Reaction score
^ you just sound like a dick, do you really expect the average guitar teacher to know of and be in to Cryptopsy? when most non metalheads think of heavy music they think of Metallica.

I'm not sure how I sound like a dick. I wanted to take MUSIC lessons. Not cover Metallica songs. I wasn't going to learn anything musical from butchering Metallica covers. :scratch:

Sverdugo

Overlord of Earth
Reaction score
^ you just sound like a dick, do you really expect the average guitar teacher to know of and be in to Cryptopsy? when most non metalheads think of heavy music they think of Metallica.

I honestly gotta agree with GiveUpGuitar. The only two teachers I've ever had just showed me Black Sabbath songs, Metallica songs, and Lynyrd Skynard songs. I get it, this is a fun song and all, but I can read tabs.

Also, Kirk Hammet is probably the ONLY thing I like about Metallica. That and the early stuff with Dave Mustaine.

donray1527

djack of all trades
Reaction score
I honestly gotta agree with GiveUpGuitar. The only two teachers I've ever had just showed me Black Sabbath songs, Metallica songs, and Lynyrd Skynard songs. I get it, this is a fun song and all, but I can read tabs.

Also, Kirk Hammet is probably the ONLY thing I like about Metallica. That and the early stuff with Dave Mustaine.

The only thing I like about Metallica is St. Anger.... I couldn't even type that with a strait face haha

prh

Plini
Reaction score
the idea of 'overrated' doesn't really interest me... like, i don't sit around and find myself wishing LESS success for people

underrated musicians on the other hand are very much worth talking about imo

Don Vito

Reaction score
I can't get into the dude from Nile... just don't get why he's famous.
Karl? He's really not. He gets a lot of attention for his infamous KxK V's I guess.

As far as his playing goes, he sets himself apart from the other death metal guys because he uses these huge and haunting "Egyptian" notes, that give Nile their muse.

BaptizedBurning

Reaction score
Kurt Cobain. He always manages to land on "best guitarists ever" lists but I never understood why. Sure, he could write songs, but there's nothing special about his playing.

Draceius

I hate everyone on this site
Reaction score
This thread has gone just as I expected it to, started off with people following the OP, and end up as (well I say ended up, it's been like this for a few pages now) with people just airing who they don't like, or people who's playing styles they don't like, and then people fishing for likes by saying names that have been said multiple times in the thread. Kinda sad how this thread got way more attention than the one for underrated players, when that one was much more constructive, but c'est la vie.

KultureDekay

Reaction score
I will say Misha Mansoor maybe be a little overrated, even though I may listen to Periphery everyday. Honestly, I won't say anything about his playing or his composition.

What mostly makes me wonder is why his opinions matter so much (inb4 basswood body is the sheez cuz bulb said so cuz hes the master of tonewood, buy bareknuckle or buy twice, djent djent purr purr)

I still love em and bulb too (I only said "a little overatted", just don't see him as a figure that if you don't follow him, you're wrong. OFC this doesn't apply to all of his fans, but the fanboyism is strong with this one (inb4 imho imho imho imho)

SHADOWOFD3ATH24

~~>>SHADOW
Reaction score
Mick Thomson of Slipknot
Eddie van Halen when hes not soloing- his solos are awesome!
Stephen Carpenter of Deftones
The Beatles
Slash of GnR
Kirk hammett of Metallica
Dragonforce guitarists
Zakk Wylde after OZZY
Tony Iommi

RagtimeDandy

On a Musical Journey
Reaction score
^Agreed on all of that, cept for Steph Carpenter, I really have never heard him get any hype? The man can make some sweet riffs but, unless I'm missing something, he doesn't get a ton of hype

Zalbu

More time than skill
Reaction score
I really don't see how Misha is overrated. He pretty much started an entire subgenre in his bedroom and only has the cult-like following on the internet. Nobody outside the djent scene knows who he is, at least not up until very recently since he was on the cover of Guitar World and all that. He's never claimed to be a virtuoso and he himself even says he's the worst guitarist in Periphery. The praise he gets is because he knows his shit when it comes to songwriting, producing, making riffs, tone, gear and all that stuff, not because he can play 3000 notes per second.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Mick Thomson of Slipknot
Tony Iommi

I honestly think Mick doesn't get the credit he deserves. The guy is probably one of the tightest rhythm guitarists ever. Hate Slipknot, but that guy can ....ing play.

And Tony Iommi... He started the genre you listen to. :fawk:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

')