Most overrated player

• Thread starter Metal-Box
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RagtimeDandy

On a Musical Journey
Reaction score
I can't believe some one said Guthrie Govan. This thread is a joke.
No body knows Guthrie, he plays in small gigs with 100 people and I think he is one of the most versatile player on this damned planet. Incredible feeling, huge knowledge, multi instrumentiste, and an evil shredder like Ron Thal.

You missed the part where my post wasn't serious. I figured the troll face was a dead give away :lol:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Kullerbytta

Newborn
Reaction score
Kirk Hammet. I think everything he's done in Metallica that I've heard is absolute dildos. The praise he gets seems to know no bounds... And I just don't get it.
I'm not jelly or anything... I just think that whenever there's some thread or video about 'greatest' guitarists Kirk always seems to be in there instead of someone who actually deserves it. I guess you could say I'm jelly for the sake of other guitarists.
For instance; I don't see the 'feeling' that people say he put into the solo on The Unforgiven. Jez sounds bad to me.

Dimebag, Cobain, Slash.

oniduder

HONKEY DONKEY
Reaction score
^ Meh, I think he's been getting more hate than praise in recent years

back in the 80's or whenever though he was the supposed king of guitar,

and he blows and if i may opine always has

but i see your point

lars is the biggest dildos ever, kirk is just a vibrator

Kullerbytta

Newborn
Reaction score
^ Meh, I think he's been getting more hate than praise in recent years

From actual musicians (or rather guitarists), yes, I believe that as well.
Everyone else seems to like him as much as ever though.

Manage to get into the right band and slap on a wah and butcher your own solos and you're the best of the best! :fawk:

Ok, that was kind of a hater-attitude. I'm dropping the case on Hamett now.

meteor685

Reaction score
as much as i love JP, i wud say his newer style is sorta overrated imo.

His old style in the 90s was wayyyy better..

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Speaking of Metallica, I listened to a few solos from James, and I gotta say I prefer his playing. He doesn't focus as much on speed so it sounds more bluesy, and his vibrato and bends don't actually suck. :lol:

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Seriously though Henry Kaizer - I honestly don't think he has any idea what the .... he's doing...

Kaiser* -- Absolutely. I hate it when someone's well-acknowledged musical theory acts as a shield against criticism. You're not allowed to actually have the opinion that the whole free improvisation scene is mostly shit: you either like it, or you don't get it. What a great position to be in.

Blackhearted

Reaction score
The amount of praise the A7X guitarists get really bothers me. Yes, they're good, but they're not the musical gods people seem to make them out to be.
Of course, part of that dislike is coming from the constant comparisons that people make between Synester Gates and Dan Donegan, who I feel is a much better riff-writer and is just all around more memorable.
As some of you probably know, I'm a Disturbed fanboy :p
Also, I regularly tell people that Jimi Hendrix and The Beatles are the most overrated guitarist and band in musical history. I understand the justifiable respect that they're owed for musical innovation, but they're not particularly skilled musicians, and certainly don't deserve to be called "the best."
As much as I love Metallica and most of their music, Kirk Hammett is incredibly overrated. He's written a bunch of great music, but again, doesn't deserve to be called "the best."

Matt1the3Beast

Reaction score
The amount of praise the A7X guitarists get really bothers me. Yes, they're good, but they're not the musical gods people seem to make them out to be.
Of course, part of that dislike is coming from the constant comparisons that people make between Synester Gates and Dan Donegan, who I feel is a much better riff-writer and is just all around more memorable.
As some of you probably know, I'm a Disturbed fanboy :p
Also, I regularly tell people that Jimi Hendrix and The Beatles are the most overrated guitarist and band in musical history. I understand the justifiable respect that they're owed for musical innovation, but they're not particularly skilled musicians, and certainly don't deserve to be called "the best."
As much as I love Metallica and most of their music, Kirk Hammett is incredibly overrated. He's written a bunch of great music, but again, doesn't deserve to be called "the best."
Lol do NOT group jimi hendrix and the beatles together. Jimi takes a giant turd on the beatles in every way.Plus he pioneered the hybrid rythmn/lead playing seen in many bands today(including Periphery).

flexkill

Vodka & PentaTonic
Reaction score
Anyone who thinks Hendrix is overrated is misinformed plain and simple. The father of the electric guitar can NEVER be considered overrated PERIOD!

Hendrix is a true guitar GOD! The fact is, while most of the guitar guys you worship now will be forgotten over time, Hendrix is timeless. Put his records on today and they still inspire and fulfill.

EDIT: I totally understand being young and the thinking that if it's not fast and brutal it sux....I'm just glad I was never one of those guys....as I believe I am a better well rounded musician because of it.

Reaction score
Anyone who thinks Hendrix is overrated is misinformed plain and simple. The father of the electric guitar can NEVER be considered overrated PERIOD!

Hendrix is a true guitar GOD! The fact is, while most of the guitar guys you worship now will be forgotten over time, Hendrix is timeless. Put his records on today and they still inspire and fulfill.

EDIT: I totally understand being young and the thinking that if it's not fast and brutal it sux....I'm just glad I was never one of those guys....as I believe I am a better well rounded musician because of it.

I totally agree. While I don't listen to Hendrix all the time or go crazy over him, he is a true guitar legend and i respect that.

teamSKDM

Reaction score
well, theres a difference between the BEST and MOST INFLUENTIAL , however most people dont understand that. kirk,dimebag,etc etc yeah were some of the most influential players in the world, and then theres smaller lesser knowns like govan and becker and lane, who we can note at the same time were leagues and leagues and leagues above them. they left a big imprint in the direction of music, but not as much as kirk dime etc. so i can see why people say X is the best, because its not like they can exactly choose who has inspired them the most. HOWEVER , is that not what overrated falls under? that being said. slash for sure, hes the face of guitar center and everyone knows who he is guitarist or not because of his style he has. ive never been ipressed or a fan of slash, even when i was a jit.

Hyacinth

Ghostmaker
Reaction score

Pretty much this. There are plenty of better guitarists in terms of skill, but Hendrix just revolutionized the electric guitar and he did all of it in 7 years. He's a name that likely will never be forgotten in music history.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Flexkill, I agree with you and all, but I thought Adolph Rickenbacker and Les Paul were considered the fathers of electric guitar? :lol:

Reaction score
Pretty much this. There are plenty of better guitarists in terms of skill, but Hendrix just revolutionized the electric guitar and he did all of it in 7 years. He's a name that likely will never be forgotten in music history.

This is all subjective to say the least. Especially for the younger generations.
Are we talking solos? Rhythm playing and /or writing? Stage presence? Attitude?
Some that have been mentioned that I do not agree with? Sometimes it can simply come down to guys that started doing something with the instrument first, before anyone else had. Differently? Quicker? Heavier? More technical profeciancy? More time to practice? More creative?
In the years to come after some of these guys played, of course things would change ... People would get a whole lot "better".. But some of these guys were the catalyst for such a change..

Hendrix and Jmmy Page.. To appreciate what these guys did then.. Now?
That can be difficult.. Many still couldn't play some of their music today if they tried. The equipment that was available then? The one album every year mentality that was part of the business?
I like the far less popular tunes by these artists more than the crap they ran down our throats on the radio. Nostalgia can go a long way as well...

EVH... I remember being in a small club in the late '70's. Between songs the house lights were dimmed all but one. Eddie turned his back to the crowd, staring in to a bright light... Silhouetted on stage. Then came, what was to be, "Eruption". To describe the jaw-dropping reaction of the crowd? I can't... What are we hearing? How is he doing that? We did not know what "tapping" was, nor could we see his hands. Things were about to change..

Hetfield.. First, I will say that he was one of my favorites. The first time that I heard a bootleg cassette of the song "When Hell Freezes Over"? Good lord.. All of the cool acoustic stuff, mixed in with some really heavy, cool riffs... And 8 minutes long? The song was later to be called "Call of Ktulu". And again, I thought to myself.. Things were about to change.. Seeing James and Cliff next to each other on stage on the "Puppets" tour.. The energy.. The endurance.. And man.. The riffs.. The bar was raised, and no one cared that Ozzy was on stage next. Which back then? That was a huge statement.

Chuck from "Death"... I was fan as well.

The topic at hand for me?
When I was younger, we used to go on and on with arguments about Kirk Hammett... Hours of it.
I knew that Kirk never recorded or wrote a single rhythm track on the first four albums. It was all James. Every single part, every single track... Later recorded for Kirk to learn as home work for the upcoming tour. Enter solo here Kirk.
The praise that some of my friends gave Kirk dumbfounded myself. I thought that I was as good in my bedroom.. And I also thought that the earlier Kirk solos were too much like Dave's originals, and the rest had WAY too much Wah-Wah.
Nope... Kirk sucked..

Then I met the guy.. And while in the same room.. Another guy asked him about a cover shoot and title that was recently bestowed upon/for him. "What was I suppose to say? No thanks? I can't help what some think .. I can't stop the media machine."

The guy ended up being one of the coolest guys that I have ever met. There was me, the hypocrite, handing Kirk my "Creeping Death" single on vinyl with "Am I Evil" and "Blitzkrieg" on the "B" side for him to sign... Shaking his hand while I thanked him with a smile. Jeeeezus, I am an ass I thought..

I do not always like who is popular.. Those same guys aren't always the most skilled either. If I do not like them? My older self doesn't give a crap.

I remember hearing "Not of this Earth" by Satriani back in '85, also mentioned on this thread. The first time that I saw him live? Good lord could he play. But really, do you think people are really going to want to listen to an entire album without any singers? Just 60 minutes of guitars?
Things were going to change on that idea as well...

I am glad that there is a larger variety these days.. All the while, I can still respect the guys that came before for their contributions.
"Over-rated"?
Well, my older self disagrees with my own younger self.. I am screwed and arguing with myself I suppose.
To each their own, and remember... It is a business...

On a side note ... I met Yngwie. That dude was an ass, so he can suck it..
Not sure if that qualifies as being "over-rated" though...

Status
Not open for further replies.
')