Movies you've been watching...

synrgy

Ya ya ya I am Lorde
Reaction score
Finally watched Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World, despite my absolute and utter hatred of Michael Cera. Surprisingly enjoyable film :yesway:

I'm not the biggest Cera fan, but I was hooked on this film from the opening shot, where they used the little jingle from Legend of Zelda: a Link to the Past. :wub:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
I have a huge disdain for type cast actors, which it seems a lot of Hollywood is becoming (Seth Rogan, Michael Cera, Danny McBridge, and earlier guys like Jason Statham), so that's why I thought "Oh it's another Michael Cera film where he plays a quirky teen who doesn't know how to handle this real life situation so he uses awkward humor and indie music to get through it."

I also can't help but think I give it extra credit for Mary Elizabeth Winstead :wub:

synrgy

Ya ya ya I am Lorde
Reaction score
I actually thought the Scott Pilgrim role was a little bit of a departure for him. Granted, not a big one by any means, but the Scott Pilgrim character was impervious to the women he was hurting, as opposed to the women being impervious to his hurting, as is usually the case in his prior roles. Plus, there was all the fighting.

I'll tell you what did annoy me, though, in line with what you're talking about -- sort of. When I saw Zombieland, I couldn't shake the feeling that Jesse Eisenberg chose to act (or the director wanted him to act) as the exact type Michael Cera is known for. I felt like I was watching Michael Cera in another dude's skin, at the time.

Eisenberg has since proven himself to be capable of far more than all that, but at the time it was a big WTF moment, for me. In fact, I have proof, from the old Zombieland thread! (http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/1698456-post24.html) :lol:

Anyway, back on main topic, I just recently found the specific copy of Predator that I was looking for on Bluray ('Ultimate Hunter Edition') and HO-LEE CRAP does it look amazing. I've never seen the movie look so good. You know how most Bluray discs of older movies just seem like they took a poor quality digital print and slapped it onto a Bluray disc? This isn't one of those. It's a fully restored print, and it looks amazing in full 1080p.

Amazon.com: Predator (Ultimate Hunter Edition) [Blu-ray]: Arnold Schwarzenegger, Carl Weathers, Bill Duke, Jesse Ventura, Elpidia Carrillo: Movies & TV

What caught me off guard (it's been several years since I've seen it, and Predators left an awful taste in my mouth..) was how well the movie holds up to this day. I mean, there's nothing else like it. It starts off like a typical blow-em-up-army-flick, but then starts slipping into a thriller, before jumping off into a full blown sci-fi flick that's also a monster flick that's also a slasher flick. One of my all-time favorites.

Oh.. Also, GET TO DA CHOPPAH!! :hbang:

Lukifer

Need more gain
Reaction score
Man I thought at first glance Eisendber was Cera the first time I saw a ZombieLand trailer. Then I was like whoa shit that dude looks and acts like Michael Cera! Good flick though.

Ive been thinking about watching Predator again. I think I will now!

Murdstone

Sycamore Trees
Reaction score
Just finished Mirrormask for the millionth time. Definitely one of my favorite movies.
Rewatched Kids and 2001 the other day, great stuff.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Predator is still awesome to this day, albeit still a bit slow every time I watch it. Nothing against it, I just think in terms of middle to end pacing, it REALLY picks up and then you're like "Oh OK, I see but was ALL that time in the middle necessary"

Thrashmanzac

plays in 69/42
Reaction score
Watched A Clockwork Orange

Didn't enjoy it that much,found it very irritating and thought the treatment part would have shown a bit more depth.Good watch nonetheless,however didn't enjoy as much as I thought I would.

read the book, then watch the movie again, they are quite different, but kubricks direction in the film is nothing short of stunning.

i just finished watching insidious. it was the best horror movie i have seen in a long time :yesway:

VILARIKA

Reaction score
Watched A Clockwork Orange

Didn't enjoy it that much,found it very irritating and thought the treatment part would have shown a bit more depth.Good watch nonetheless,however didn't enjoy as much as I thought I would.

I just watched it a couple days ago coincidentally, and I found it to be a little boring at parts, but overall a great movie. Would would you rate it out of 10?

Wingchunwarrior

OVER THE LINE!
Reaction score
I just watched it a couple days ago coincidentally, and I found it to be a little boring at parts, but overall a great movie. Would would you rate it out of 10?

I don't know really.I mean I don't think there is anything wrong with the film but I found Alex's character to be annoying and irritating,the language(forgotten the name of it) used by him really gets on my nerves.It's definitely not what I expected it to be so maybe that's why I didn't enjoy as much as I'd thought I would.

Nevertheless, It was a good watch,I'd say I'd give it about 6/7 out of 10.

ShadowFactoryX

OMNIHILITY
Reaction score
watched 28 days later and 28 weeks later, kinda skipped through most of the crap on both

found neither enjoyable.

though in 28 days, when Jim's in the church with all the bodies, and says hello, the two "ragers" that pop up and stare at him scared the crap out of me.
super creepy

that was the only enjoyable part i found in both

Sicarius

Reggie J Worthington
Reaction score
On TV right now the channel Ovation is playing "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band"

Go to watch it, because I enjoy musical abominational disasters.

Turns out it's Xanadu, and It's like I'm trippin' balls

Lukifer

Need more gain
Reaction score
You'll be flying a cargo plane full of rubber dog shit out of Hong Kong.

Reaction score
Just went and saw Fright Night - was pleasantly surprised! I was expecting a totally campy, cheesy, predictable romp kinda making fun of the whole vampire craze. In fact, it was a pretty compelling and even suspenseful film with a good amount of fun mixed in. Almost stayed in the theater to watch it again....

SenorDingDong

Smeller of Smells
Reaction score
Ginger Snaps :wub:

Just watched Cursed, pretty fun flick, not much depth to it.

')