Movies you've been watching...

manu80

Reaction score
just watched Beverly hills cop 4. Was waiting for that one for a loooong time.... well it's a 6/10
Glad to see old faces (well Judge Reinhold has a new face nowadays but still ;) ) on the screen. Story is pretty basic, like the old movies, it got that 80's feel to it, practical effect ,no big visble CGi, which is pretty nice to the eye... but man.....what a lack of pace !!!!!
That's my big regret here and furthermore in nowadays movies.
In the 2 first, you never got bored. Talking and jokes were perfectly dropped, action scenes too, 1h50 and you had a great moment. This one talks a lot, the few action scenes are slow. Car chase? come on...not because you put the 1/2 movies old tunes on it makes it good....Bad boys 4 was better than that.....
I don't mean dumb action like in Bay's movies but just rhythm....
Could have been way better. Maybe with Bay at the helm lol...

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Contributor
Reaction score
Speaking of dumb action movies, I watched a movie that was surprisingly set in my neck of the woods last night.

The new Jason Statham movie on Prime called THE BEEKEEPER.

It was a high energy, low IQ time and I don't regret it. Sometimes I just need to see a man dodge 10,000 bullets and blow shit up.

Louis Cypher

Reaction score
Saw the 25th Anniversary release of The Mummy at the cinema over the weekend, SO fcuking good on the big screen, never tire of that film

Also watched Anyone But You, it hits every single Rom Com cliche possible. Ridiculously good looking cast: Check. Every character is ridiculously wealthy: Check. Embarrassing mishaps and misunderstandings: Check. All their friends know they should be together when they hate each other: Check. Act 3 argument that then means they both realise they do love each other and so the man goes after the girl to get her back in the most random chase way possible: Check.
Having said all that I actually liked it, it is pretty funny, lots of the jokes land real well, loads of swearing so the 11 yr old in me loved it, the 2 leads are actually likeable if just crazy improbably good looking, Powell is buff as fcuk and Sydney Sweeney is crazy hot! She spends most of the film in a bikini top and so her cleavage does a lot of the heavy character work
If your a bit of a sucker for romcoms its worth a watch

Louis Cypher

Reaction score
Is a real shame what happened to him, he should have been an A list actor tbh, he had good looks, great comedy chops as well as real action hero aura too
I used to love him in Scrubs as well as Ben, riffing off Dr Cox, fcuking brilliant. The episode where Ben has died & Cox is refusing to accept it is genius TV

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Is a real shame what happened to him, he should have been an A list actor tbh, he had good looks, great comedy chops as well as real action hero aura too
I used to love him in Scrubs as well as Ben, riffing off Dr Cox, fcuking brilliant. The episode where Ben has died & Cox is refusing to accept it is genius TV
Compared to Bruce Campbell, I'll take Bruce any day -- he's awesome in Army of Darkness and Burn Notice. I'm glad Fraser is able to get back to working though.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Saw the 25th Anniversary release of The Mummy at the cinema over the weekend, SO fcuking good on the big screen, never tire of that film

Also watched Anyone But You, it hits every single Rom Com cliche possible. Ridiculously good looking cast: Check. Every character is ridiculously wealthy: Check. Embarrassing mishaps and misunderstandings: Check. All their friends know they should be together when they hate each other: Check. Act 3 argument that then means they both realise they do love each other and so the man goes after the girl to get her back in the most random chase way possible: Check.
Having said all that I actually liked it, it is pretty funny, lots of the jokes land real well, loads of swearing so the 11 yr old in me loved it, the 2 leads are actually likeable if just crazy improbably good looking, Powell is buff as fcuk and Sydney Sweeney is crazy hot! She spends most of the film in a bikini top and so her cleavage does a lot of the heavy character work
If your a bit of a sucker for romcoms its worth a watch
To quote Rose McGowan as Tatum in Scream, "it's the tits."

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Compared to Bruce Campbell, I'll take Bruce any day -- he's awesome in Army of Darkness and Burn Notice. I'm glad Fraser is able to get back to working though.

What are you even talking about? There's zero connection between Brendan Fraser and Bruce Campbell, this just felt like an excuse to shoe-horn in someone who's a fun B-list celeb.

KnightBrolaire

Pickup Connoisseur
Reaction score
Longlegs- Without really spoiling anything, I think this is one of the more creative and actually hypeworthy horror movies of the year. I have a feeling it'll become a cult classic (or at least people will meme Nicolas Cage's performance to death like they did with Wickerman). Cage chews scenery like a madman in the movie and alternates between unintentionally funny and actually creepy.
It does a great job of building atmosphere and tension in the first half. Unfortunately it then meanders til it punches you square in the face with the ending. The cinematography and framing are great, with a very naturalistic feel. The gore seems to be mostly practical effects and looks very convincing overall.

Worth a watch imo

wankerness

Reaction score
How scary is Longlegs? I want to see it in my theater but my girlfriend HATES horror movies that are actually scary (ex REC). She's fine with sort of horror-adjacent serial killer stuff like Se7en, but if this is actually terrifying to people whose brains aren't warped like mine, then maybe I'll have to go alone!

KnightBrolaire

Pickup Connoisseur
Reaction score
How scary is Longlegs? I want to see it in my theater but my girlfriend HATES horror movies that are actually scary (ex REC). She's fine with sort of horror-adjacent serial killer stuff like Se7en, but if this is actually terrifying to people whose brains aren't warped like mine, then maybe I'll have to go alone!
ehh i'm the wrong person to ask as i'm pretty jaded to horror. It's more intense than outright scary imo

wankerness

Reaction score
She's a huge nic cage fan (Vampire's Kiss, Face/Off, Renfield, Moonstruck, everything where he isn't boring) so i'll talk her into it. It sounds like it's worth the potential nightmares. Glad to hear Cage is scenery-chewing. The trailers made it look like he might be in super-restrained mode.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
She's a huge nic cage fan (Vampire's Kiss, Face/Off, Renfield, Moonstruck, everything where he isn't boring) so i'll talk her into it. It sounds like it's worth the potential nightmares. Glad to hear Cage is scenery-chewing. The trailers made it look like he might be in super-restrained mode.
I could not get into Renfield.

KnightBrolaire

Pickup Connoisseur
Reaction score
Twisters- It has a loot more serious tone than the original. Glenn Powell and Daisy Edgar are both pleasant and carry the film. From the getgo this one has a lot more meteorology jargon crammed in it and seems to want to be a more serious film tonally. There's some neat stuff in the movie with cloud seeding (for rain) and disrupting the moisture content of tornadoes though I'm not sure how feasible it is tbh since I don't have a background in meteorology/climate science. There is plenty of tornado induced carnage (no flying cows though) and the destruction seems to be a mix of practical and cgi. It definitely leans more CGI heavy from what I could tell.
There is some really neat first person and tracking shots. The cinematography is pretty good. The soundtrack is pretty much straight pop country, but not unpleasant.

I think it's worth a watch once it hits streaming (or if you're bored).

')