Movies you've been watching...

lurè

Fake Shredder
Reaction score
Watched the new Deadpool, probably the best out of the three movies so far.
Plot was like the stereotypical superhero/Marvel stuff but It was kinda funny and the action scenes were cool.

From the post Endgame/new MCU stuff, the best movie?

Now I'm at the theater waiting to see Alien Romulus.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Seabeast2000

Deathcult® NPC
Reaction score
Watched the new Deadpool, probably the best out of the three movies so far.
Plot was like the stereotypical superhero/Marvel stuff but It was kinda funny and the action scenes were cool.

From the post Endgame/new MCU stuff, the best movie?

Now I'm at the theater waiting to see Alien Romulus.

Wasn't aware of another Alien and not a Scott director/writer project it seems, probably for the best. Interested in your take.

wankerness

Reaction score
It looks like Alien: Romulus is getting about as good of reviews as Prometheus and Alien Covenant, both of which got pretty good reviews but I think got bad reputations over time among fans (kinda like The Last Jedi). I'm interested, but doubt I'll see it in the theater. I like that it appears to be more of a horror movie again.

I watched Winnie the Pooh: Blood and Honey last night and it was truly horrible. I've heard the sequel is really entertaining and fixes most of the problems with the first. I don't know if I believe it, but now I have to watch it!

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Alien: Covenant was good, felt more in-line with the original two than anything that came after it, I plan on re-watching it before I see Romulus. Prometheus was just, ugh, and I feel like that one was rightfully hated on from the get-go.

lurè

Fake Shredder
Reaction score
Well I actually liked Alien Romulus.

I was very skeptical at the beginning due to the classic horror teen lineup of characters but they played their cards right.

Also i really enjoyed the Dead Space vibe throughout the movie.

Dunno much about the continuity, I guess It should sit between the first two movies but I don't remember them so much to judge it plotwise.

DestroyMankind

Reaction score
I watched the New York Ripper for the first time a few days ago. I couldn't stop laughing at the duck noises. I have a ton of Fulci movies to dig into. Somehow, his movies never hit my radar. Tubi has a great selection and I'm gonna be busy on my days off from work.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
I loved Prometheus, but not like I love a good Alien movie. With so much long standing mystery in the storyline I'm actually really glad they bothered to put it on the screen at all- and we could have gotten more Raised by Wolves instead, so I'm counting my blessings.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
It looks like Alien: Romulus is getting about as good of reviews as Prometheus and Alien Covenant, both of which got pretty good reviews but I think got bad reputations over time among fans (kinda like The Last Jedi). I'm interested, but doubt I'll see it in the theater. I like that it appears to be more of a horror movie again.

The comparison to Last Jedi would me most apparent in Alien 3, since that was pretty much an active response in trying to do something new and refreshing to the franchise instead of rehashing Alien/s all over again. Almost proto Last Jedi (and so was Gremlins 2 before it). Whilr still flawed, I appreciate Alien 3 a lot more now as I get older, and more than just a means to get David Fincher's foot on the door.

Come to think of it, the whole Alien franchise has been wrestling with the problem with modern franchises. Stuck between writing fanservice 'love letters' or actively hating it's status as a franchise. Ridley Scott made this painfully obvious in Alien Covenant.

I do want to see Romulus in the big screen, hopefully the current sched allows it....

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
I'll see if I can find it in my YT history, but there's like a 30 minute video similar to that about all the problems the ALIEN franchise had after ALIENS; the biggest wrench in the whole thing I believe was Aliens 3 since Sourgney was adamant her character didn't use weapons, but I know Resurrection had its own slew of problems as well.

gabito

Advanced power chords user
Reaction score
I re-watched Prometheus and Alien: Covenant a few weeks ago, I think for the second or third time.

I like the idea of Prometheus, the execution not so much. The plot is all right, the dialog is bad, I think Noomi Rapace's religious mumbo jumbo drama is stupid and boring, but the movie looks very good, Fassbender basically saves the movie, and it has a cool alien abortion scene. I'd like to know the answers about some of the movie's questions, though...

... and I found them in Alien: Covenant and frankly I'd rather not know what I know now. This movie looks very good too, but the plot is bad, the dialog is TERRIBLE, and I don't know how a company could put together such an amount of incredibly stupid people on a ship and mission that probably cost them billions of dollars or whatever money they have in the not so distant future. I know this is cliché in horror movies, but I can't believe the decisions the people in this movie make. You could compare this movie with Alien (a GOOD movie by the same director), were the company would try save every last penny (the crew even discusses their salaries), they are believable working class people who look like they know what they're doing, and they usually take reasonable decisions given the circumstances (except for, maybe, touching alien egg-looking things they know nothing about).

But anyway, Fassbender is (again) probably the only good thing about Alien: Covenant. Robot made his own alien children. Fuck that. Stupid movie.

Speaking of aliens, I saw two alien related movies last week:

The first one is a Russian movie called Sputnik. It's about an alien who lives inside a person's belly and comes out at night to feed on people's brains (but only if they're afraid, because he likes cortisol). It sounds pretty stupid, but the movie is OK.

And the other one is called Jules, which is about three elderly people who meet a friendly alien who eats apples, can make people's heads explode, and uses cats to fuel his ship. It's a funny movie, if a bit sappy.

Last edited:

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
I love when writing and producing a film the franchise fans would love is derisively referred to as "fan service." Who comes up with this baffling shit? "I know it's like, 8 films and 40 years into this franchise, but let's make a film fans will hate so we don't get dismissed as 'fan service.'" God forbid the people paying these exorbitant prices to see your movies in theaters, with a name the film companies are banking on, actually appeased the paying customer.

If a film company purposefully creates junk, yet uses a name franchise to draw fans in, the fans should be able to demand a refund. Either get better ideas and stop rehashing shit, or actually appease fandoms.

Rubbishplayer

Reaction score
Well I actually liked Alien Romulus.
Nothing good has come out of the "Alien" franchise since "Aliens".

Especially Ridley Scott's contribution. He just happened to be there when Dan O'Bannon, H.R.Giger and the small cast of outstanding actors made magic.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
Nothing good has come out of the "Alien" franchise since "Aliens".

While I agree, FWIW, Alien Isolation was good and in the spirit of the original film. But whether video games count, is another matter.

Then I found out Romulus reuses the line "Get away from her you bitch!" And then I saw this promo shot:

Alien.jpg

Suddenly I'm not as excited to watch it anymore...

wankerness

Reaction score
I enjoy Prometheus. It's got a ton of idiotic dialogue and plot actions, but at least it's something different, and some of the ideas are interesting even if they weren't executed well. Also, it looks amazing. I also am a fan of Alien 3, both the theatrical and whatever they call the dvd/blu-ray version that attempts to restore the original (ex it has a LOT more dialogue and even attempts to reinstitute some original effects, like the alien bursts out of a yak thing instead of a dog). It's not GOOD, but again, it looks good and had some interesting ideas.

The only aliens movie I really hate is Resurrection, but I don't think it's without value, it just personally revolts me thanks to the awful color correction making everyone look like a water-logged corpse, and also everyone being a foul-mouthed, obnoxious character (unlike something like Aliens where at least the foul-mouthed obnoxious ones are entertaining and memorable, ex Vazquez and Hudson).

I get the argument of fan service and "good sequel" often being mutually exclusive. It's hard to quantify and it can very much be a matter of opinion. Like, I know a lot of people absolutely hate Rogue One cause they think a lot of the movie callbacks in it are just like LOOK AT THE AT-STs!! REMEMBER THAT?! instead of them having organic relevance to the plot. Redoing obvious famous shots like the above image, or including iconic lines (ex the Terminator sequels all having I'LL BE BACK in some permutation) are fan service that I often hate. But who knows, sometimes I like it too. All opinion!!

I like how everyone complains about exorbitant ticket prices. Our local theater is 6 bucks every day of the week (they only have one screen, but they do show current movies, albeit when they get something popular like Wolverine & Deadpool they tend to be held over repeatedly). I guess I have the cheapest theater in the western world. The multiplexes in bigger neighboring towns are like...12 bucks, unless you want to pay to see things on the SUPER SCREEN or whatever (not worth it, it's not like it's imax). Renting the stupid movie on digital (if it's a current release) tends to be 20 bucks, so if I'm the only one that wants to see it it's actually cheaper to see it in the theater.

')