Moving my bridge

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
Yeah. The intonation would get seriously messed up. Here's a little lesson on scales: If you fret your string at half the length, you'll get the same note at 2 octaves up (the 24th fret. The 12th fret would be the note at 1 octave up). However, if you make the scale length longer but don't change the size of the frets, the 24th fret will not be 2 octaves up. The 12th fret will not be 1 octave up. If you only change it by .5 inches, then everything will be slightly off. If you change it by 1.5 inches, everything will be MAJORLY off (except for open notes). Anything fretted will be wrong.

Kotex

Trippin' balls
Reaction score
Yeah, I know about that. But I kinda' forgot about it when I made the thread.haha :/ Whoops. Well, scratch that idea.

Toshiro

Contributor
Reaction score
Scale length is not just how far the bridge is from the nut, fret spacing is different between different scales.

Moving your bridge will not make your guitar a longer scale.

Edit: Read something wrong. :lol:

Kotex

Trippin' balls
Reaction score
Oh, I know that. I don't want a longer scale, I wanted string tension increase without the longer scale.

Toshiro

Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, I know about that. But I kinda' forgot about it when I made the thread.haha :/ Whoops. Well, scratch that idea.

Dunno about the guitar in question, but it would have to have a proper scaled neck to work, period.

If you don't want a longer scale, and you don't want bigger strings, then tune up to C or something. :lol: There's really no other option.

Kotex

Trippin' balls
Reaction score
No, not really. I didn't NEED to have more tension I just wanted it.

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
There are only three ways to get more string tension:

1) Put heavier strings on.

2) Get a longer scale length.

3) Tune higher.

Latest posts

')