Moving out

• Thread starter leftyguitarjoe
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

leftyguitarjoe

Correct-handed
Reaction score
2 very close, trusted, and financially stable friends and I will be moving into a nice 3 bedroom apartment soon. We're meeting with the owner tomorrow.

Any tips on the subject?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

orb451

Banned
Reaction score
Have you ever lived with the other guys before? Are you aware of their habits? Good and bad? If so, good luck. Financially stable is a big plus, but it's only one part of the equation.

Other than that, designate whose name the bills will be in, and designate a person (or that person) to pay them on time every month. Designate living areas and rules. Designate food, who's buying it, who's eating it and where it's kept.

Having roommates can be awesome. And it can be a fucking nightmare. I put an ad out on Craiglist for a roommate a long time ago. First guy that lived me was THE BEST. Guy was never ever home, he was quiet and respectful and always paid the rent on time. Next lady that moved in was quiet too, but a fucking monstrous slob, left shit EVERYWHERE. Last guy I lived with was straight from Japan, nice guy, but must have been afraid of the dark or some shit. Had the lights on 24/7 all year round. We must have been SoCal Edison's # 1 customer. Our monthly electric bill was ALWAYS $350-400. He had all the lights on in his room, along with several computers on, all day, all night, every day. He rarely slept.

So like I said, best of luck :yesway:

EDIT: And I know the above sounds anal, as far as designating all these rules and regulations, but it really comes down to you and the other people. Some people are just naturally cool and you don't need to treat them like live in hostages. Others seem cool and turn into royal turds...

groph

Reaction score
So long as you're not financially screwing yourself to get away from your parents you should be good.

My best friend is moving out tomorrow and I honestly think that's what he's doing. Not only is he saddled with a car payment, he's going to have to pay rent as well. He's making good money for his age, he works full time, but he's only been to a semester of university. He goes out every weekend and can't save his money worth a damn. Since he's moving into town, he can come and go as he pleases and he's within walking distance from all the clubs. The temptation will be there in force; I fully expect the next year for him will be really, really lean. He'll be sucked dry and will be used to not going to school, he'll be "settled in" to life if you will. So not only do I anticipate him to have a poor couple of years, I don't expect he'll ever go back to school and make things better for himself unless he gets lucky soon. Maybe he'll smarten up and move back in with his parents, stop going out every weekend, go back to school and come back able to get a job that pays more than $10 and hour in less than ~10 years or so. As he stands now, he'll be stuck in shit jobs for a loooong time. Maybe he'll toughen up and develop his father's intense work ethic, but he's the polar opposite of that right now. It'd be easier if he went back to school. His parents were paying for most of it anyway. His choice though. I just hope that in a year or two he'll realize he made the wrong one.

I, on the other hand, in my infinite wisdom :rolleyes: am refraining from moving out until I'm done my degree. Yeah, having your mom nagging you to clean your room gets infuriating after 20 years but I figure if I wait it out some more I'll be in a better position later on when I'm really ready for it and am not just looking to escape. I understand I'm in a luckier situation than most, I don't have to pay for my education (just books) or a car, I just pay the gas since I'm the only one who drives it. So I'd be a total moron to not take advantage of that.

So basically, I have no idea what it's like to live with people (I'd probably rather live alone with my own gross habits), but it's pretty easy to see that young people are generally not in a great financial situation, yet they talk about moving out like it's nothing. Just be sure you can handle it.

wlfers

Reaction score
So long as you're not financially screwing yourself to get away from your parents you should be good.

Yeah seems pretty common sense but we all know how rarely common sense is these days.

I moved out around 18 with a very good income with my ex girlfriend. Basically without going into the details I ended up with an ex girlfriend and no reason to have spent so much money living out.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
2 very close, trusted, and financially stable friends and I will be moving into a nice 3 bedroom apartment soon. We're meeting with the owner tomorrow.

Any tips on the subject?

If you don't know what to look for, bring someone who does.

regarding roommates: you don't really know what people are like at home unless you've lived with them before. I lived with my best friend first year of college and I'm more of a slob then he is. He had a basement room and I was upstairs, so it didn't clash too much, but sometimes things got a little strained probably. We've both grown up a fair bit, but I'm still more of a slob than he is :ugh:.

Also, I've been living away from home for 7 months of the year (long xmas break + other vacation time) for 3 years, and this is my first summer away from home. I'm still getting nagged to clean my bathroom, and I really should :lol: :ugh:.

You have more fun and more responsibility when you don't live at home. Like everything, it has its ups and downs. Enjoy the best of it and make the best of the worst of it!

leftyguitarjoe

Correct-handed
Reaction score
I know thw two guys' habits. I've known one for 15 years, and the other I have allowed to date my litter sister for over a year now. If he wasnt top knotch, I would have chased him away a long time ago :lol: I think I'm the sloppiest one of the bunch, but having my own place will likely push me to have some pride and stay tidy.

Odds are I'll be the one handling the expenses. I've never messed up any of my own expenses. Ever. One roommate has amazing credit for a 20 year old. The other one and I have a limited credit history, but its not negative.

We have done our budgeting figures. I've literally made spreadsheets haha. I'm not financially diving in without looking. I wouldnt try without knowing 100% we could do this.

I plan on opening a second checking account that we will contribute to and use for food. I mean general food like milk, bread, eggs, soda, ect... We each will buy our own specifics.

Two of us are on the same phone plan with the 3rd joining up soon. Its cheaper for us to split the larger bill 3 ways than to have separate plans.

We all have the option to work overtime at basically as much as we want.

We're not just some angsty young adults looking to run away. Well, I really do want to escape my house, but thats not the primary incentive. I want independence. I like accomplishing things that require hard work, and this is probably the hardest thing so far in my life.

orb451

Banned
Reaction score
Well it certainly sounds like you've got your shit squared away :yesway: Hope it all works out!

rockdisciple

Pad Thai Enthusiast
Reaction score
Was the owner cool? I've found that the difference a good, approachable owner can make over an apathetic management company can is significant.

Reaction score
Depending on how your money situation is, become economic. Shop around for utilities and what not. I don't know about the US, but here there are comparison websites for everything you can think of.

Tolerance is the key really. Give each other space, recognise that as annoying as they may be at times, so are you.

I moved out almost a year ago, and I'm so glad I did. It was a little daunting with money and what not at first, but you get used to how much you needa set aside each payday. The pros definitely outweigh the cons, independence is win.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Man joe, sounds like you got it sorted pretty good!

But, uh, moving out doesn't force you to become any cleaner :lol: - I have never cleaned any part of a bathroom until 5 minutes ago when I scrubbed our tub.

Pics of the new digs required!

wlfers

Reaction score
Was the owner cool? I've found that the difference a good, approachable owner can make over an apathetic management company can is significant.

That, but yeah it sounds like things are pretty set. I wish I was that well planned the first time I moved =D

')