Moving the strap button on strat shape guitars

• Thread starter vilk
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
So, it finally occurred to me just why I get on so well with my SG compared to my other guitars--it's the way the neck sits. It comes straight from my hips at a 45 degree angle (what made me realize was someone else on here saying the same thing about some totally different guitar).

Ever since I've been spending so much time with the SG, any time I play my other strat shaped guitars it feels like the neck is too far to the right, and I believe this is because the strap button is on the upper horn, which sits left of the neck joint.

Has anyone ever moved the button from the upper horn to the neck joint of a strat shaped guitar? I don't think I've ever seen a strat with the button located there, so I would assume there could be some reason why.

Any experience? or theories?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

dan the man

Reaction score
I once moved the strap button from its original position to just below where the neck bolts on, on a Jackson DK2M. The result was: awful balance. The guitar was now super super neck heavy and would immediately dip to the ground if i wasn't holding it up with my left hand.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
see I was kinda worried that would happen. What's the deal then, only SGs and LPs can have the button back there? Strat shapes wont balance? or do you suppose its because Dinky's are a smaller body size (by 20% or so isn't it?) with not enough weight to offset the neck? My gunslinger is pretty weighty...

edit: scratch that, not even LPs have the button there. After a closer look it looks like LP has it on the top of the body.

What are some other guitars that have the button in the same place as an SG?

fantasyl

Reaction score
I'm interested in this, too, as I often find myself holding up the neck with the left hand, and moving it up higher. Guitar staying at about 80 degress (body/guitar angle) doesn't work great for me, 45-55 is much more comfortable, as Vilk said.

That's one of the reasons I'd like to try an headless guitar, its balance point should be closer to the body and neck start should stay higher and nearer your body, or at least....I hope so :)

')