MTB/DirtJump/Enduro etc - Bike Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Semi-pro

Reaction score
Ooo, nice to see new posts in this thread. I realized that I never shared this vid (my trip to a dh bike park last November):

Can’t wait for our local park to open in 10 days, already got a season pass!

Seabeast2000

Deathcult® NPC
Reaction score
The Nice Weather came early this year here. I'm behind by a few weeks and didn't get my 2007 Mongoose (yes! Mongoose) MTB rigged up for the season. I bring it into the shop for full tune/check and tubeless conversion redux, I walk out leaving the bike there BUT ordering a whole new 1x10 drive train AND tires. The shop guy was amazed that Mongoose made high-quality bikes at one time, totally appreciated it.
So excited, tires were 5-6 years old. Tires are also 26" so have to wait a few weeks before those come in for whatever reason, they do a lot more 27.5" and 29". This bike is 14 years old and its STILL so nice and light that I do not want to update to a 29'r just yet, although I may just get a full fattie or 29r soon to have one. Anyway, now it will be nicer, lighter and simpler but have to wait basically 10 more days before all the parts are in and done. So torqued to go full 1x10 from the silly 3x9.
PSA, anyone stuck on a tubed MTB, do go tubeless. The ride change alone was such an improvement. Also never got a flat, its a thing I can't explain but it reduces flats a lot. And that is coming from a rider of the low sharp desert.
Yes, I could do all this myself but I just simply don't have the cycles (No puns) and since I consider an MTB to be one giant piece of safety equipment, don't want to fuck around and find out.

EDIT, a few other upgrades I've done.
New stem, superwide bars. Replaced the old Avid Juicy brakes with XTs. Same front and rear suspensions. Front is a Fox Vanilla , rear I forget. NO pix yet.

Seabeast2000

Deathcult® NPC
Reaction score
Also.....considering putting a dropper in. I might phone that add-on in.

Semi-pro

Reaction score

Looks like a cool bike! Nothing wrong with a 26er, although you'll be in heaven when you eventually move to a 27,5" or 29" :D Makes rocks and roots so much smoother. Personally I still prefer 27,5" over 29" though. I've got a M sized Mondraker 27,5" that's got the same wheelbase as my brother's L sized Devinci 29" but it's just so much more easier to throw around. I did just build a 26" dirt jumper too though, which is a super fun bike. Will post pics when I get the final upgrades in place.

Seabeast2000

Deathcult® NPC
Reaction score
I think I posted my NBD in another thread. First 29r.
Anyway, I got this cheap as an upgrade platform. Those upgrades are now in the works.
+dropper, replace pedals with big flatties (that I will destroy anyway), replace drive train with 1x10, tune, set up, tubed to tubeless. Hopefully lose an lb or two in the process but not sure with the dropper add.
Maybe in a year two I'll start upgrading the suspension.

1648846271865.png

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
I don't ride like that much anymore but I did a lot of long distance and trail riding on my trusty DK 8-Pack through my teen years. That was a beefy bike and I thrashed it good, broke/replaced almost everything on it, had the thicker axles, heavy chain, giant indestructible kink sprocket etc, and by the end I had even worn out the crank housing on the frame. I really rode that thing into the dirt. I bought a FitBike a few years later and it just wasn't the same, felt like a toy compared to the way the 8-Pack was built.

2007 Mongoose (yes! Mongoose)

I also had no idea about Mongoose, but looking back I remember seeing Schwinn both in walmart and the high-end local bike shop.

Seabeast2000

Deathcult® NPC
Reaction score
No pics but last year I got my first 29r (bikes direct) and threw some money at it to update the drive train to a 1x10 XTR. Later on I was sick of the Maxxis front end washing out on me at critical times so went with a recocommended Schwalbe Magic Mary. Huge difference, now when the old lateral G's are pushing the limits of friction, the MM gives me a nice warning to correct vs. instant pucker/jump scare with the Maxxis.
Anyway....the suspension on this bike (Gravity brand from BD) is kinda shit but it works. Its like a cheap non-locking trem that doesn't return to tune well. So I'm looking at, you know, $1000-$1200 for some new life-saving components. Fork and rear.
But.....Opportunity knocks and I have an option to buy a massively upgraded Marin Rift Zone 2 Carbon for a very reasonable price. No more upgrades needed, except maybe the tires if I really don't jive with them.
So no new guitars for a bit if I jump on this.
Overall, its amazong how well a 29" MTB and a 1x10 drive train perform, add a tubeless config and its so agile and flickable.