MTD Basses

• Thread starter Nag
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Nag

chugs and screams
Reaction score
Talking with Sean1242 on the chat I ended up finding this website :

Built For Life. | Michael Tobias Design

I really really like their instruments. Nice specs, nice looks, handmade in the USA, the website has good amounts of info about the builds. I got quite some GAS for these, just wanted to know if anyone here knows about them or owns one of their instruments.

example

f61361b2474dde4221a7ff6e083de107.jpeg

:wub:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JSanta

Reaction score
I'm not a bassist by any stretch but in my younger years my buddy had a gorgeous pre-Gibson Tobias (either Growler or Basic) that was impeccable. How well that bass was built, sounded, and played always stuck with me.

A few years back I had the chance to play a MTD Bass and it brought back all of those good memories of playing that old Tobias. They play just as good as his originals. Like the older shape a bit more, but these are great.

angus

Reaction score
They're amazing- but then, Mike's basses have been amazing going back into the 80's.

They're a very specific sound because of the active Bartolinis (which are only made for MTD)- very clear, precide and clean- and it isn't for everyone. I like them, though I don't own one, and I'm not sure why. My search for the perfect early 90's Tobias has taken precedence.

Great instruments though. They don't often get used in rock music- you see them more often in gospel. But I remember Hoobastank's bassist used one back in the days that they were still called Hoobustank, and it sounded great live.

I'm not a bassist by any stretch but in my younger years my buddy had a gorgeous pre-Gibson Tobias (either Growler or Basic) that was impeccable. How well that bass was built, sounded, and played always stuck with me.

Growler and Basics are both Gibson Tobiases. Maybe it was a "standard" or something? Nothing wrong with those, though- my Gibson Tobias Renegade is always going to be my "home" instrument. But the pre-Gibson stuff is amazing stuff, but hard to find these days.

Nag

chugs and screams
Reaction score
engage, you've owned everything, lol. I checked their price list and for a standard 535 it says something like $4800, would you say they're THAT good ?

When I see instruments above 4k, I'm expecting to shit my pants as soon as I touch them :lol:

angus

Reaction score
Basses are much more expensive. That's a mid-priced bass in the boutique range.

Remember you get a break off the list price. 20% with some dealers. They tend to go for between the $4-5k range with options, etc.

Nag

chugs and screams
Reaction score
Basses are much more expensive. That's a mid-priced bass in the boutique range.

Remember you get a break off the list price. 20% with some dealers. They tend to go for between the $4-5k range with options, etc.

speaking of which, a little off-topic question, why are basses so much more expensive than guitars ? I mean sure they're bigger, but that's still a huge difference. I know Warwicks can go up to 7000 €, lol

That being said, IMO when you get a handmade custmized instrument that has NOTHING that bugs you, just the fact that it's perfect justifies any investment. I'm just curious about that price gap, since I'm primarily a guitarist.

Didn't know this guy was sorta famous :D

dax21

Reaction score
Most Warwicks are made out of fancy woods and each bass is 50% done by CNC and machines and 50% handmade so their level of quality and attention to detail is pretty much impeccable, you can't compare them to most production model companies. Their factory uses some of the most advanced technology out there (solar power etc). They also have a very unique tone that can't be found elsewhere, and are IMHO the slickest looking basses by far.
Their custom shop is open to pretty much anything from what I hear, too.

7k euros is a bit too much for any instrument if you ask me, but I wouldn't mind forking out money for any new Warwick, you just know you'll get quality. :)

jonajon91

New Picture
Reaction score
I had a choice between an MTD and a Marleaux when I was looking for a six string, took me three hours of playing to decide and I went for the marleaux. That is my only experience with an MTD and it was phenomenal!

engage757

Banned
Reaction score
engage, you've owned everything, lol. I checked their price list and for a standard 535 it says something like $4800, would you say they're THAT good ?

When I see instruments above 4k, I'm expecting to shit my pants as soon as I touch them :lol:

You can get them much cheaper used. There are a few on ebay currently.

Yeah, I am a whore. But, I am also a bassist before I am a guitarist, something to remember!

LordCashew

Death Punch for Cutie
Reaction score
I had a choice between an MTD and a Marleaux when I was looking for a six string, took me three hours of playing to decide and I went for the marleaux. That is my only experience with an MTD and it was phenomenal!

Wasn't that one of the Asian import MTDs though?

angus

Reaction score
Most Warwicks are made out of fancy woods and each bass is 50% done by CNC and machines and 50% handmade so their level of quality and attention to detail is pretty much impeccable, you can't compare them to most production model companies. Their factory uses some of the most advanced technology out there (solar power etc). They also have a very unique tone that can't be found elsewhere, and are IMHO the slickest looking basses by far.

7k euros is a bit too much for any instrument if you ask me, but I wouldn't mind forking out money for any new Warwick, you just know you'll get quality. :)

It's funny you say that, because they are much more popular with guitar players than bassists. Most bassists that go for boutique stuff will preferentially go for Fodera, MTD, Ken Smith, F Bass, etc waaaaaaay before a boutique Warwick, despite the price being in the same range. They just aren't that popular.

The three custom shop Warwicks I've played were all great, but nothing was particular stand-out/exceptional about their quality or craftsmanship.

DavidLopezJr

Reaction score
They're amazing- but then, Mike's basses have been amazing going back into the 80's.

They're a very specific sound because of the active Bartolinis (which are only made for MTD)- very clear, precide and clean- and it isn't for everyone. I like them, though I don't own one, and I'm not sure why. My search for the perfect early 90's Tobias has taken precedence.
This exactly, which is why I can't dig their sound. But to me they are like the PRS of the bass world in terms of amazing finishes.

engage757

Banned
Reaction score
Didn't know this guy was sorta famous :D

More than sorta bro. MT has been a leader in the bass world for years.

Warwicks are decent mid-level basses. I have played several of the customs and own one now, but an MTD slays every Warwick I have ever touched.

russtolium

Reaction score
If you want to hear someone playing the hell out of an MTD check out Jeff Schmidt (he plays it in solo compositions with piccolo strings):

LordCashew

Death Punch for Cutie
Reaction score
Who are you and what do you want!?

in all seriousness though, I dont really know what it was. might have been THIS ONE.

Haha just curious, no offense intended...

That is one of the imports. I've played the Kingston Z6 myself and was also pretty impressed. Haven't played a USA personally either but I have heard one up close and it sounded amazing!

Nag

chugs and screams
Reaction score
engage, when I said "sorta", I didn't mean "just sorta", lol.

As a guitarist, I lurk primarily on the guitar sections, and there are a lot of custom/semi-custom/boutique build NGDs. I don't see that many on the bass forums, therefore I had never heard of this guy. Apparently his prime time was before I was born :lol:

Does anyone on here have one of his basses ? I wanna see the thread, I wanna see the pics !

pushpull7

Banned
Reaction score
I can't fathom the concept of being able to afford a 4800 bass (or guitar) I wish.

')